Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Lake cottage in Eastern Canada
<< . 1 . 2 .
leonk
# Posted: 16 Jul 2012 19:12

Looking good, I was sure it was in ON

beachman
# Posted: 23 Jul 2012 18:17

Thanks leonk. Cupboards are difficult and the Home Depot measured the countertops short! Should have just ordered them myself. I can salvage one half and get the other one made but requires lugging them back over the water and about 200kms to the shop - and will hold up the sink installation for a few weeks - ARGHHH! the good thing is that I am now able to work on the water system and after fixing a few leaks, the pump and shower seem to work very well. I will try the hot water next weekend. I will also start on the composting toilet vent and other pipe hook up.

I also found that once I filled the water tank above the bath, after shutting off the water, it kept running by gravity and I have no shut-off valve. Had to disconnect a pipe to stop the flow to fix the leak. Note to self - install a shut-off valve. Good thing I only filled the tank partly full.

The propane is all hooked up and appears to be OK - no leaks in the house but may be a small leak near the outside manifold. Will have to recheck all of the joints and shut-off valves - may only be one weak one but do not want to waste gas or take any chances.

beachman
# Posted: 20 Aug 2012 21:31

Wow! This project has taken on a life of its own. So many details to work out. We finally got the cupboards in but still have to install the countertops, kitchen sink and hand pump. In stalled the tile flooring in the bathroom - had to buy a tile saw because the rental unit was more $$$ - then had to boat it over and back then about 45 mins back to the store. All workwed out well - even the round hole but I cut the flange screw fastening holes in the wrong spots in my haste and didn't realize this until after installation. Now have to get a carbide drill to make new holes. Another make-work project. Toilet will be finally in next time up in a couple of weeks. Installation of the toilet venting up through the house and through the stell roof took a lot of time. Had to lift the roof, cut the "round" hole, place the rubber flashing then put the roof back and seal it up - seems to be OK. I put the venting up a little higher than the roof peak for a proper draw so I hope it works OK.

creeky
# Posted: 22 Aug 2012 15:52

love that birch floor. too bad you're not in On. I coulda lent you my carbide drill bits.

beachman
# Posted: 5 Sep 2012 18:48

Thanks creeky. I actually bought a carbide drill bit and it took about an hour to drill 8 holes in the tile - letting the bit and the drill cool inbetween a little. This did the trick and I was able to put the toilet in place and it works great so far. It is a Cenrtex 2000NE low-water flush unit.

I did not yet have all the water hooked up but partially filled the water tank and tried to get the hot water working. No luck yet - not sure what I am doing wrong? Water pressure seems to be good, gas appears to be on and no smells, and water is moving through the unit properly. It is a Bosch 1600LP on-demand water heater. Too much other stuff to do and filling the tank by hand is too much effort - have a guzzler hand pump I will use once the 1" pipe is hooked up from the well (looks like next year). Anyway, starting to get cooler here and cabin stays nice and warm with small fires in wood stove.

Another goof - drove a nail through one of the propane pipes for a light while attaching the baseboard - very stupid but I have a separate shut-off valve for this so will have to fix later. Bad enough putting in the pipe the first time! I've gotta take a litle break from this thing and just realize that it is not all going to happen overnight.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 16 Jun 2014 23:04

Hi Beachman, thanks for the nice complement on our cabin. Thought I'd visit your cabin thread to see what you've been doing.
Wow! You have two beautiful cabins. I really love the setting. It's sounds remote. It's nice to get away from it all.

Jim in NB
# Posted: 21 Jul 2014 13:44

Beachman! Fantastic place you have there. Looks like Lake Utopia? Haven't been on it but have passed it lots heading to Deer Island. So now that you are in for a couple of years - what would you do different? I have been chipping things off the list this spring but have probably spent too much time enjoying the weather! Great place you have there!

beachman
# Posted: 24 Sep 2014 13:20

Gee, have not checked my own site for awhile. Jim, thanks for the compliments. The place is large Magaguadavic, just north of St. George (where the river comes out - shallow lake with lots of rocks for unsuspecting boaters). The only thing I would do different is add another bedroom at the back - I will leave that for future generations I think. Right now in the throws of putting in a more robust solar set up. The panel - 235 watts and two Trojan 6v deep cell batteries in series for 12 volts, and a 1000 watt pure-sine inverter - works great so far. Next year comes the battery monitor, another lightning arrestor and some inside electrical work - plugs and lights. Expect to have everything operational next year (a frequent statement of mine lately).

Rowjr
# Posted: 27 Oct 2015 19:37

Beautiful !

beachman
# Posted: 28 Oct 2015 06:08

Thanks Rowjr. Still no water pipe to loft tank and still putting in the interior wires. Spent this summer (too brief) on building screens for the porch and a battery box that I hung at the back of the cottage. Once the bugs get going, you can't get screens on too quick! All closed up for the season now.

beachman
# Posted: 6 Sep 2016 20:12

OK - final update on accomplishments to date, thanks to many contributors to this forum. Last year I completed a great screen porch that has become so nice in the spring and early summer when the bugs are bad. This year I was able to wire the entire camp and install the rest of my solar set up - a relatively small set up for about 750 watt hours per day and it works great. Have a Trimetric meter to keep an eye on things, well grounded and appears quite safe. Lights in the bathroom and running water and a hot indoor shower - propane on-demand heater with a shure-flo 12v water pump using whale tubing and fittings. I fill a 35 gal tank in the loft with a Guzzler hand pump - works great. Nice to be able to plug things in and have so many conveniences for being in the middle of nowhere. Hand pump at the sink works well also. Now to relax a little more and enjoy the place although fall closing has become a little more complex.

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.