Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / My cabin idea for Northen NY
Swamphunter
# Posted: 3 Dec 2011 10:23

Here are a few pics of the cabin idea I am leaning towards. Please excuse the quality of these pictures because I found them on a youtube video and just saved them. This is exactly what I am going to start to build in the spring, but 20x24'. Building mine out of rough cut as we are finshing the interior walls with pine boards and the floor with a plank look and sealed with a heavy coat of gym seal, to give it that floor gymnasium or wooden plank bartop look. With the metal roof, pressure treated frame and subfloor, 5 insulated windows and an insulated door.... it prices out to just $3400 as a weather tight shell.
Cabin.JPG
Cabin.JPG
Cabinexterior.JPG
Cabinexterior.JPG
Cabinexterior2.JPG
Cabinexterior2.JPG
Cabinloft.JPG
Cabinloft.JPG

neb
# Posted: 3 Dec 2011 10:48

That looks like a good cabin plan. The price is right also. How much land do you have and what part of the world are you from? Keep us posted on the progress.

Swamphunter
# Posted: 3 Dec 2011 11:58

Im from Northern NY state... right near the St Lawrence river... I own 67 acres of land...

neb
# Posted: 3 Dec 2011 12:13

Sorry about that I should of looked at the profile. I would bet that is some scenic land you have.

TomChum
# Posted: 3 Dec 2011 14:52

Nice looking cabin. Is that a kit shell for ~$3400? Where can I see it?

Erins#1Mom
# Posted: 3 Dec 2011 15:31

I like the looks except I would like stairs not a ladder to the loft as I am mid 50s and husband is mid 60s. But the size is perfect. Do you have any more of the inside?

Swamphunter
# Posted: 3 Dec 2011 16:33

Not sure where to find the actual prints or plans. My buddy is a full time contractor and builds cabins like these in his off time.. (lol). The $3400 quote is his BoM all broken down and going on current prices. Of course springtime they may fluctuate a bit, but its ball park. The loft is for my 12 year old son... I am considering a better ladder/ stair set-up than that since we are going larger than the original floor plan and will have more room.. will decide that a bit later though....

Anonymous
# Posted: 6 Jan 2012 20:41

Hey swamphunter,
I just bought a 12x30 cabin from the Amish 5100 bucks. All i needed to do was just give them a nice level area to place it. I have the camp in the Adirondacks.

adam

Swamphunter
# Posted: 30 Jan 2012 15:49 - Edited by: Swamphunter

Well, change o' plans... after much consideration, and thought into building site and materials needed. We have changed the style of cabin from the OP to this below... same dimensions 20' wide by 24' deep. We are having a loft in the front over the porch and going to have one built at the back of the cabin too 8' x 24'. With this we are going to have a 3' or 4' wide catwalk from the one loft to the other, spanning the remaining distance so as to only have one set of stairs. The underside of this catwalk will be used to put lighting, and other decorative ideas.... tell me your thoughts...

rayyy
# Posted: 30 Jan 2012 16:48

He-he,I think we all love our knotty pine and hunter green steel roof with an open porch.These are all very simular to my cabin design.

Swamphunter
# Posted: 30 Jan 2012 18:57

Its going to be board and batten... sorry.

Swamphunter
# Posted: 27 Apr 2012 12:45

Road construction is about to start once the ground firms a bit more. My son and I have been clearing the building site.. these pics are current as of Wednesday.....

toddheyn
# Posted: 4 May 2012 06:42

Hop Hornbeam. We have them all over our property in St. Lawrence County as well. I just cut a few of the smaller ones down for a jack-leg fence and the opening to our meadow.

These are good wildlife trees and good for fencing and firewood. Very durable.

Swamphunter
# Posted: 6 May 2012 04:34

Here is the pic of the current cabin clearing taking shape..

oldbuddy
# Posted: 13 May 2012 18:00

You have a great father/son project there to work on. Ours has been great for both of us but we built it from scratch. It's a lot slower going but now that it's sealed up and dry inside as well as insulater, it's been a lot of fun. And just every once in awhile.....we goi up and just walk around or sit around a nice fire. Yesterday we worked about 10 hours putting our 10X12 deck on the front. We were both beat by the time we got home!

Keep us update and the photos coming. Old Old Buddy

We're the "12X16 on a hilltop in Ohio" site.

Swamphunter
# Posted: 14 May 2012 18:47

Old Buddy, ours is not a kit either. I just found that style of cabin on that website and we are building off of it. Also going with just regular horizontal pine siding as opposed to the log.... I cant wait to see your project.. I'm heading to that page now...

Swamphunter
# Posted: 26 May 2012 06:16

I met with the DEC and got the clearance letter showing that I was not too close to any wetlands or protected areas. I knew there were no issues so had never contacted them (not a requirement in my location if you are not within 100' of a wetland) but a word of warning.... when you think they'll never find out you may be doing something in the woods, they just may find out.....

smallworks
# Posted: 29 Dec 2012 19:19

Hi all-
We bought a 44'X13' garden shed from the Amish with alterations for under $10,000. We originally were going to build our place but this was cheaper and more efficient - we're also over 25-
We put in a 3' foundation with footings before they came, and we're doing everything else . My husband calls it job site North

(this is my first post & a good forum)

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.