Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Jerry's cabins and wild rice lake
Jerry
# Posted: 27 Feb 2009 17:59

Cabinbuilder and others - here are some pictures of my cabins and wild rice heaven.
Cabin under construction
Cabin under construction
Neighboring cabin I bought
Neighboring cabin I bought
Loft of cabin under construction
Loft of cabin under construction
View of wild rice
View of wild rice

soundandfurycabin
# Posted: 27 Feb 2009 21:11

That is a beautiful location. Can I ask about your new cabin...How wide is it, how tall are the sidewalls and what is the roof pitch? It looks similar in size to what I'm planning...about 16x20 with 10' sidewalls and 13.5:12 roof.

Frank

unixfmike
# Posted: 27 Feb 2009 22:10

looks cozy. i look forward to more pictures if you get the time.

--mikew

Jerry
# Posted: 27 Feb 2009 23:42

The cabin as is is 16' wide by 20' long. The interior sidewalls are 10' total = 8' ceiling height on the main level, 2' sidewall in the loft. The pitch is 12/12 which puts the rafter cross ties at about 8' (maybe less, I don't remember exactly) and leaves enough space above for enough insulation. The rafters are 2x10's, and spaces are filled with fiberglass with air vents under the roof decking. I then sheeted the interior with 1" foil faced high density foam panels. In the future I will be adding a 24' x28' addition perpendicular to what you see. I had to use a considerable portion of the existing space for a staircase which will eventually serve the loft bedroom and a sitting loft over the future living room space. The black strip down the middle of the temporary front wall in the picture is a hand carved totem pole supporting the ridge. I've reconsidered its location and it will eventually be moved to the new addition where it will again support the ridge beam. This is all bigger than a "small cabin", but since I purchased the adjoining property, this one will become a rental so I can afford the whole package until I decide on a future direction. Other questions? just ask. Thanks.

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 28 Feb 2009 13:13 - Edited by: CabinBuilder

Nice cabin pictures!

soundandfurycabin
# Posted: 1 Mar 2009 16:59

Thanks for the info and photo, it really helps me to picture what mine will look like. Do you have any photos of the totem?

Jerry
# Posted: 3 Mar 2009 10:31

Don't think I took any pictures of the totem. I just ordered a digital camera so I'll be able to share more pictures soon. The totem is not professional quality, but it means a lot to me. My friend and I salvaged a couple of white pine logs after a major timber blowdown in northern Minnesota. He carved one totem for his cabin (a reconstructed 1900 Finish dovetail log house), and did one for me. Both of the poles are personalized to represent our lives. For example, mine contains figures depicting fish from my lake, a man holding a hammer and chisel, animals, children, and a man holding an empty bowl. The empty bowl is a joke because he and I tried in vain to harvest and process wild rice before I figured it out. As soon as the snow is gone, and as soon as I can get some muscle up there, I'm going to move the totem, and when I do, I'll take some pictures. I've attached two pictures of my cabin showing the roof pitch. You mentioned a 13.5/12 pitch. Mine is 12/12 and I can't imagine working on anything steeper. Just a thought. Good luck.
side of cabin
side of cabin
roof pitch
roof pitch

islandguy
# Posted: 3 Mar 2009 13:41

We have lots of wild onions growing all around the cabin, so we cook with them whenever we can. They actually have a garlic/onion flavour, and they are wonderfull with fresh caught trout. We also have ample wild blueberries we use for pies and home-made wine.
BTW, your neighboring cabin looks almost identical to mine in size, shape even the finish and colour.

islandguy
# Posted: 3 Mar 2009 15:09

oops, I followed the link from the other thread on the wild rice, so my post on wild onions looks a bit out of place here.

Jerry
# Posted: 3 Mar 2009 16:03

islandguy - do you have any pictures of your cabin to post? Mine is 24'x24' with a 6'x12 screened porch. Enough for two small bedrooms, a living/dining room and small kitchen. This year I plan to add a front deck and expand my storage shed to add a sauna/changing room, and an area for canning and food preparation. Thanks for your input.

islandguy
# Posted: 4 Mar 2009 15:22

Hi Jerry, I have a thread under general forum titled: Also building a cabin. There is one rather poor cell phone picture, but I'll be able to take and post some more this spring. My cabin is 16x24, one bedroom, with a vaulted "cathedral" ceiling in the living area. I chose not to add a loft, since my experience with them has been a never ending battle with heat buildup and ventilation. (Mother -in-law suite?) I do have a loft attic, however, over the bedroom and bathroom which will make great storage. I intend to finish my cabin this year, which will put me at the three year mark since breaking ground. Maybe we can swap some wild rice for some wild onions and homeade wine? (;-)

Jerry
# Posted: 5 Mar 2009 00:24

islandguy - I read your thread in the general forum. Very interesting and intreaging to read about your island. Wonderful looking place, and please post more pics whenever possible. I'm really happy to have found this forum; a great place to ask for advice and share experiences with people of like interests. One of the reasons I like gathering and processing wild rice is to share it with friends. I would be more than happy to swap with you for a taste of your wine and onions. I'm now preparing to tap our maple trees in my yard at home for maple sap to boil down into maple syrup. I've never done it before - always wanted to try it - so this is the year. On Friday I'm going to the cabin for the weekend. Going alone, have invited others to stop by, but if they don't, that's OK. I'm going to try to catch some panfish, have a steak and some cold beers, and in general, just relax. I have to snowmobile in about a mile. I might even bring a camera and post some pictures when I return. Have a good day.

unixfmike
# Posted: 5 Mar 2009 09:28

Quoting: Jerry
I'm going to try to catch some panfish, have a steak and some cold beers, and in general, just relax.

Man that sounds like the best idea I have heard in a very long time.

--MikeW

Timberjack
# Posted: 12 Jan 2011 07:56

This looks like a wonderful place to relax and enjoy life a little. Your wild rice photos remind me of books I've read by Gordon MacQuarrie. He was an outdoors writer from Wisconsin. He wrote several books and short stories about duck hunting in northern Wisconsin in the '30s and '40s. He references wild rice and how the ducks flocked to it and the great hunts he had. MacQuarrie passed away suddenly in the 1950s but his writing is still very popular today among outdoorsmen and women. He also had a small cabin on EauClair lake where he spent much of his time. Nice pics Mr. Jerry.

Jerry
# Posted: 13 Jan 2011 12:20

Timberjack,

Thanks for posting. It's kind of ironic that I noticed your comments because I don't check this site very often, but you just posted yesterday. And thank you for telling me about Mr. MacQuarrie. I'll be looking at the library for his works. This winter is getting long already - some good reading would help.

Jerry

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.