Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / 42 Acres in New Mexico
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 .
Moontreeranch
# Posted: 30 Nov 2010 11:22 - Edited by: Moontreeranch

Back after a 4 day trip over thanks giving...ye ha! The mission for this trip was to start some of the tile work...It was just Tori and I so I was not distracted by kids...tori was feeling a bit under the weather so I was able to get a fair amount done.

Tori had mentioned that she did not want to step over the pile of T&G that was sitting just inside the cabin entry so the first order of business was to make that pile go away...the wall behind the kitchen area was targeted.

The second order was repainting the wood stove and installing the damper and additional pipe.

Then I moved on to the tile...got a good chunk done and the added thermal mass felt good under our feet. I got the tile at a great price...about 8.50 a case for 12 -13" tiles..the black granite was also a deal, close out for about 4.90 a foot. I chose black for behind the wood stove to adsorb more low infrared.
Kitchen_wall.jpg
Kitchen_wall.jpg
west_wall.jpg
west_wall.jpg
1_st_coat_stove.jpg
1_st_coat_stove.jpg
stove_and_tile.jpg
stove_and_tile.jpg

Moontreeranch
# Posted: 30 Nov 2010 11:47

Despite short days and a lot of work getting done...at least by me...Tori got caught up on her beauty sleep. We dd get out for a hike each day..some days a couple hikes. The weather was fine...for the end of Nov at 8000 feet in Northern NM.

Some of Gils horses are still out grazing and we explored some more of the neighborhood.

We hope to be back for New years to continue with some more tile...I need to buy a ton more of the T&G and get started with that...the area behind the kitchen looks too good...
horses.jpg
horses.jpg
from_sw.jpg
from_sw.jpg
lichen.jpg
lichen.jpg

talltxn824
# Posted: 1 Dec 2010 13:38

I see the girls are really growing up and turning out to be lovely young ladies. The pictures are scenes we don't see in East Texas.

The cabin is coming along nicely too. The next family reunion should be there, so you'll have some help with the place.

Moontreeranch
# Posted: 20 Jun 2011 12:22 - Edited by: Moontreeranch

Its been a while since I've posted here, Two trips to the cabin since thanksgiving. A spring break trip, and Memorial day. The wood shed got some paint ( $5 a gal mis-tint) and the cabin got some tyvek and the start of some Hardi plank. In side the tile set over thanksgiving got a few more added and some grout. next time down I hope to get more hardi trim up on the front of the cabin and the last 30 sq or so of tile in.
painted2.jpg
painted2.jpg
siding_start1.jpg
siding_start1.jpg

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 20 Jun 2011 19:22

looks good........that hardi board is good stuff!!!!

steve
# Posted: 19 Sep 2011 12:21

hi did you vent each floor joist?

Moontreeranch
# Posted: 19 Sep 2011 23:51

The I beams are set over the built up main beams...then 1/4" plywood was set spanning the gap between the Joists ( resting on the I beam flanges) this was nailed in place and the insulation installed. Then the 3/4 ply decking was installed over the I beams...This gave me a R-30 insulated floor. I was not too worried about any VB issues...this is the arid west and the flooring above is ( will be) completely tiled.

JRanch
# Posted: 5 Sep 2012 23:50

It's been a while, how is the progress going?

Moontreeranch
# Posted: 6 Sep 2012 09:45

I go the hardi up on the west and south sides...and we did get down there back in April...The Mrs was not overly happy with the HOA beige I had started with so we got a color that is a bit closer to the native adobe colors of the Taos Pueblo.

I've been really busy with work this summer and hope to get back down in Oct.

neb
# Posted: 6 Sep 2012 23:04

Good for you!!!

nele
# Posted: 17 Jan 2013 17:40

Hi, just found this thread and also your blog...nice reading! Apropos of nothing - what breed of dog is Maybelle?

Moontreeranch
# Posted: 17 Jan 2013 18:16

She is a white huskey mix

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.