Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Potholes Reservoir, Washington - Summer Cabin
SalesManager
# Posted: 18 Jan 2012 16:05

I am new to this forum. My girlfriend and I have a place in Eastern Washington, on Potholes Reservoir. Its 1.3 acres with power, water, and septic. Building a small cabin has always been a summer get-a-way ideal for me. At the moment, we are RV camping. I'm hoping to break ground in late Feb (2012). I am posting some pics taken last year around the property. -Looking forward to updating this page, as I build-
Our View
Our View
Upper Level, Looking South
Upper Level, Looking South
Upper Level, Looking West
Upper Level, Looking West
Lower Level, Looking West
Lower Level, Looking West

Bevis
# Posted: 18 Jan 2012 23:45

Nice view...

oldbuddy
# Posted: 19 Jan 2012 11:33

Welcome to the forum...... How big of a cabin are you planning? Will you be doing all or most of it yourselves? Once you get started and begin posting pictures of your progress I think you'll find it very rewarding. It definitely has been for my son (Old Buddy) and myself (Old Old Buddy). Keep us updated. You're closing in on that Feb. 2012 date!

Old Old Buddy

SalesManager
# Posted: 19 Jan 2012 15:42

oldbuddy
Hello, and thank you. We are planning to build a 12 X 16, inspired from your cabin "Old Old Buddy." Our maximum amount of square feet that we can build without a permit is 120. Permitting takes forever in Grant County, so we are expecting Feb, as I mentioned before. ALL of the work will be done by us. I might have a work party one weekend. I am looking forward to posting more, as we make our progress.
Great pics by the way Old Old Buddy!
Attached is the property layout, as of now. I drew it up on paint, so its a very simple version. I will post my designs and diagrams for our future cabin soon...
Thanks for responding!
Property Drawing
Property Drawing

oldbuddy
# Posted: 20 Jan 2012 21:35

SalesManager
Good luck with your permits. I know they can be a deal breaker sometimes. What kind of weather will you be having in February? I'm guessing "biting cold weather."

Will yours be built on posts up off the ground or will you utilize a footer of sorts? I read one thread on here where one fellow was talking about "crush analysis" and "load sheer" and totally blew my mind. I have always been accused of "over-building" but one thing about it....if you build it too strong what can you lose except a little money.

We started ours out with treated 6X6 corners, treated 4X4's halfway down each side and a 4X6 in the center of the cabin. We tied it all together with 2X12's with two 1/2" bolts on every upright.
We did the top wrap the same way to keep the uprights nice and straight over the winter and then took them off the top this past summer and started our partitioned walls. The 4X6 underneath connects with the two 4X4's in the middle of the front wall and rear wall, with two 2X8's running alongside them tying all three together. You can tell when you look at pictures near the bottom of our first page or near the top of the second page. I figured that those two 2X8's near the center of the 12' wide part would give excellent strength to the floor.

Don't forget to insulate your floor...regardless of how you build it. That's a common complaint from some people I've talked to. It is definitely time and money well spent.

Anyway......good luck. Keep us updated.

Old Old Buddy

. We

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.