Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Our Cabin-Trout Camp: ANF, Pennsylvania
DaJTCHA
# Posted: 19 Jan 2012 17:42 - Edited by: DaJTCHA

I've been a lurker for a while, but after ready all 6 pages (and counting) of the post titled "My Ohio Cabin", I felt compelled to share my Allegheny National Forest "Trout Camp" construction journey with you. There has been many parts, many photos and many updates that have happened since my buddy and I took ownership of our little piece of trout fishing / hunting / camping Heaven in March of 2010, but I will try my best to bring you up to speed through this thread. For now, I say hello! I'll try to transform this post from pure text to a photo album shortly.

DaJtcha

oldbuddy
# Posted: 19 Jan 2012 19:29

Welcome to the forum. The Fosson's cabin (My Ohio Cabin) is absolutely beautiful, isn't it? It appears that they employed a professional interior decorator by the looks.

Ours is just a little hunting cabin...not finished....but I love it. Check us out at "a 12X16 on a hilltop in Ohio."

Good luck with your postings. Old Old Buddy

DaJTCHA
# Posted: 20 Jan 2012 15:37 - Edited by: DaJTCHA

Old Old buddy-

I've checked your thread out as well and find your construction saga to be very similar to mine. As a matter of fact, you're cabin is the same size as our "Shed Mahal"!

I've decided to combine all the progress photos and videos from a private blog that I have into a one 10 minute montage. I will have the link up within the next day.

By the way...my signature stands for "D&J's Trout Camp Hide Away".

Thank you!

Dajtcha

oldbuddy
# Posted: 20 Jan 2012 17:40

Looking forward to your video/photos. You'll really enjoy this forum. A lot of nice people sharing common ideas. There are some really beautiful cabins on here.

This past summer after we had all the treated plywood on a buddy of mine at work asked me what I was putting on the exterior of the cabin. I told we were just putting on treated plywood and were going to do the board-and-batten look with a dark stain or paint. He looked at me kind of crazily and said, "Well hell...you're not building anything but a shack!"

I told him it was "a cabin," not a home and I didn't consider $38.00 per sheet cheap. I told him I could have vinyl sided it for the same cost dang near...but that wasn't what we wanted. He just shook his head and walked away. Ha!

We are located in a very secluded spot and we really can't put too much money in it when you can't watch it and you can't get a fire-truck to it so.........it's a "shack" I guess.

We plan on putting 1/4" chip-board up on the inside and then run tongue-and-groove pine vertically. That will pretty it up some. Add a little window trim, curtains and presto....it will give us the look we were looking for. All I know is that I am totally relaxed when I'm there. Keep in touch......

Old Old Buddy

DaJTCHA
# Posted: 20 Jan 2012 17:47

We're installing t1-11 (8" OC) on the exterior of ours. Many of the materials we've got donated. A friend gave me (72) 10' pieces of 5.5" X 1" thick pine boards. I plan on ripping those lengthwise and placing them 16" OC for a faux board and baton look on the exterior. I'll use them to trim out the windows, door, seam between the first and second floor loft on the outside of the panels, the eave over hang, etc...

The cedar footing posts, the 2X12" beams run on the three rows, the entrance door were all donated. The 400square foot of bricks that I've got waiting to add to the fire pit patio was also freebies off craigslist. I surmise that I've reduced the cost of our build by about 20% by the use of recycled craigslists finds along the way.

oldbuddy
# Posted: 20 Jan 2012 21:45

DaJTCHA
Sounds good. The only things we had donated were a small antler mount on the front of the cabin and the deer mount inside the cabin. The rest came from Lowes.....and Tractor Supply! Those 72 pieces of pine will save you $500-600 at Lowes if you had to buy treated 1"X3"'s. Good score!

Looking forward to seeing the "Shed Mahal!"

Old Old Buddy

VC_fan
# Posted: 20 Jan 2012 22:11

On the inside of ours, I put up thin but nice interior plywood that I think Lowe's calls "utility panels". They're 1/4" or less thick but very attractive and $10-$11 per sheet. I insulated and then put this right over the studs, but if I was doing it again I'd probably put OSB up first and then these panels over that - just so the walls don't move when I push on them. I also did this for the ceiling which worked out even better - I'm sure your cabins are all perfectly square and even but mine isn't. I just laid these sheets out and overlapped them instead of cutting them to fit. Since they're so thin it's barely noticeable from below. And they're very light so I could get them up easily by myself. Those and some cheap 1x2s for trim ended up looking pretty nice.

DaJTCHA
# Posted: 20 Jan 2012 23:04 - Edited by: DaJTCHA

Well here's the link to the video.

URL

I hope you enjoy my compilation...We're heading up to camp tomorrow evening in preparation for work to be done on Sunday. It is supposed to be 35-40 degrees and sunny. We're sitting about 1600 ft above sea level and when it is bright and sunny, you'll get sunburn no matter what month it is. I can't wait! LOL!

oldbuddy
# Posted: 21 Jan 2012 08:34

DaJTCHA
I just completed watching the video and it brought back a flood of memories. Our cabins are very similar. You roof looks like a 12-12 pitch. Isn't it fun to work on? We rented the bulldozer and he worked for a day and a half making us a road going up a very steep grade in places and leveled our campsite area where we planned to build.

We didn't make a video clip and I probably don't have enough video to even make a decent clip but we have over 600 pictures but only 144 are posted on the site. Every once in a while I'll just start over on page 1 and read all through it again just to relive the fun of watching it all transform in front of me.

Something we learned about firewood.......the dozer probably pushed over close to 70-80 trees of various sizes leveling things/making roads and after laying uprooted for over one year you would think they would be cured and be ready to burn. NO SO. We cut up several locust trees (extremely hard wood) about a month ago for firewood to burn NOW and found out that they were still green inside and wouldn't burn. I guess the root-ball they were still connected to laying on the ground prevented them from dying completely. In the next few weeks Old Buddy and I are going to cut up several into logs now in preparation for next winter rather than assuming they are cured if they have been uprooted for a year.

Your weather there sounds like our forecast exactly for tomorrow.
We had about 3' of the white stuff this morning.

Are you going to put steel or shingles on the roof? Doesn't it feel good to be "closed in from the elements?

Good luck on your work detail.....

Old Old Buddy

DaJTCHA
# Posted: 21 Jan 2012 10:28

Old Old Buddy-

We've got an area where the root balls and trees are "deposited" that is slightly further down the grade from the "lower level" that Steve excavated. We are going to drag out the bigger trees and cut them this spring when it is still cold and the ferns/foliage have yet to sprout. We're in rattle snake territory, so it is always a thought in the back of our minds. We believe that job is better done when it is colder than warmer! As part of the abyss of trees, we've got some very decent sized boulders that I wish to drag up to the deck area and use in some way. I'm thinking that I might want to construct a natural step with them either into the Shed Mahal or onto the deck.

Having the deck was a Godsend for us. The property was very wild. We had a tornado back in '85 that ripped right across the area that is now excavated and took with it all our old growth trees. The forest attempted to rebound, but in '97-98 there was a careless fire that got out of control and burned up the hillside and through the path that the tornado had decimated 12 years earlier. But in typical Mother Nature fashion, the sabling, scrub, ferns and trees attempted another comeback. What we were left with was big stumps that were breeding bushes of sucker saplings of the previous tree. Because of the grade, it was nearly impossible to walk in the woods without tripping an a down tree or falling in the backside of the huge holes that were left from the upended big trees. The mountainside looked like ski resort moguls in the winter. It was crazy.

If I knew then what I know now, I would have put off the two trips with my buddy's kubota and backhoe and just had the property excavated straight from the start. For what he did and in the speed it was completely, it would have saved not only a decent chuck of $$$, but plenty of time that I could have used elsewhere, but live and learn. It was time up at Trout Camp and anytime, regardless of circumstance, that I'm there and not in the city or at work is worth it!

The roof is quite odd. I sorta winged its construction. The long side is 12' long 2X6" 's and the short side is 8' 2X6" 's. The pitch is 85 angle is 85 degrees. The reason I know this is because I had the metal roofing supplier custom bend me a ridge cap to fit it perfectly. The forest green roofing is sitting in my buddy's cabin next door waiting for the installer to find the time and weather (on the same day) to finish the installation.

I might be obvious by the photo montage, but I adhered strictly to the "build it strong" mentality when I chose to put .60 OSB on the roof, ice guard sheeting on the entire deck and then top it off with lifetime metal roofing (coming soon, I hope!).

Once the t1-11 is installed, I'll be a little more at ease because we can then use the "Shed" as a place to retreat to and store items. Cutting down on the quantity of stuff we've got to tow up to camp is going to be a welcome relief as well, but on the flip side...that's got me thinking about camp security as well. It just keeps going and going and one thing leads into another (as always).

I placed the ordered for a 4' X 6'8" insulated roll door yesterday with Janus. We've arranged the entrance to reflect the theme of "this is a shed, not a cabin" so we don't run afoul with the local authorities. I'm addressing security with the selection of two exterior stainless steel lock latches for the roll door and on the adjoining 36" wide 2.5" solid oak entrance door I'm going to construct a high and low interior bracket arrangement that will hold a set of 2"x4" steel door bars. Finally, I know this may sound like paranoia, but I'm going to purchase a day/night faux security camera to mount high in the peak with a blinking red light. I figure that is the best we can do to secure the place. A trailcam mounted somewhere safe might be another addition as well. Still in the thinking process concerning what to do.

Inside-wise, I'm going to cough up the big dollars and when summer hits and it is about 70 degrees or so...I'm planning on spray foam insulation to seal everything up nice and tight. I'm guessing that we're looking at a $1200 expense for the 2 DIY kits. OUCH! But I've heard great things about the sound proofing, draft/crack sealing and insulating properties of this stuff when sprayed to a 1.5"-2" thickness.

OK, that's all for now...headed up to camp tonight to install the t1-11 tomorrow and hopefully be back in time to enjoy both NFL championship games.

oldbuddy
# Posted: 21 Jan 2012 12:01

I don't know if you're planning on putting windows in or not but if you are I wouldn't worry about a real strong security door. We always leave our place unlocked because I don't want someone to beat the windows out just to see what's inside. Then I get to thinking if the intruders get too ticked off they may decide to take a match to it.

We had old friends that had a similar predicament with leaving his place and worrying about someone breaking in. Every time he left he would always leave the door unlocked and would leave a fifth of whiskey on the kitchen table with a $20.00 bill beneath the bottle. He wrote a note that read "Please take the $20.00 and have a drink on me...but please don't destroy our cabin."

He never had any break-ins that he knew of and it didn't sound like a bad idea to me. If anyone gets in our cabin they can either carry the woodstove out or all the wood but thats about it. Therefore..we leave it unlocked. I wouldn't even mind if someone stayed in it for protection from the elements but I just don't want to deal with "squatters."

I read your words about the tornado. It reminded me of back in May of 1985 we had just sold our home in Newton Falls, Ohio, to move to Marietta, Ohio, where I had been transferred. The moving truck pulled out of the drive with us in tow. Two hours later a tornado rolled in and completely destroyed about 65 homes. It did about $15,000.00 in damage to our small house which was suppose to be sold but after a legal tiff, we found out it was still ours eventhough the mortgage and property paperwork had been signed by my wife and I. Just for your info....it's still yours until the paperwork goes to the County Recorder's Office where it is "hour, minute and date stamped. Once that occurs, if the event happened before or after that time will decide who's property it is. Makes sense I guess but we were really stressed out over it. In the end it all worked out.

Once you get that roof on you'll breath a lot easier. Since your "shed" is the same size as ours, I wouldn't get too concerned about the insulation. Ours is 3-1/2" fiberglass and now the problem is making sure it doesn't get too warm inside. It will heat up 40 degrees in anout 20 minutes in 20 degree weather. Much faster than I thought. 12X16 isn't really that big when you have a decent size wood-burner. One of our "musts" is that we clean the woodburner out prior to starting each fire. That is common-sense I guess but I can't believe how much better it draws and heats up, as opposed to lighting a fire on top of 2-3" of cold ashes.

Anyway....good luck tomorrow. Let me know how everything worked out.

Old Old Buddy

DaJTCHA
# Posted: 21 Jan 2012 13:29

If you hadn't realized it, the tornado that took you home was the category F5 that took all of our old growth trees! One in the same!

We are going to have some windows, but they are extremely small. I'm planning on placing them at the peaks for air flow and exhausting heat. We get a really good breeze in the evening from the NW and the shed is position to take advantage of this air flow. Another benefit to how the shed was built was the fact that when I do install the two peak windows and the one other window on the NW facing wall, the lowest window will be 18 feet off the ground!

When I installed the ice guard, I had to straddle the ridgepeak. Fun if you don't look down. The one end is nearly 24' off the ground...my palms were sweaty and autonomically my body was vibrating with small shakes of nervousness. I'm glad that is over!

oldbuddy
# Posted: 21 Jan 2012 15:28

We have two 28"X38" windows and two 15"X32" windows on the cabin. The big ones are double-hung and the small ones are casement (slider) type. We will be putting in two more 28"X38"'s in the loft fore and aft in the summer. You can tell from the photos where they will be located. We also have an excellent breeze coming off the highwall that should ventilate the cabin real well. With all the shade trees and that breeze, hopefully staying there in the summer will be bearable. I straddled the ridge cap to screw it down and I was only 18' in the air....but that was high enough. I remember laying the extension ladder up the roofline and trying to reach as far to my right and left as I could but it was killing my knees. I finally decided to wear a pair of knee-pads and what a difference! I used a 16 penny nail to make the initial hole for the sheet-metal screw. If I didn't, just trying to start the screw caused the metal to cut off little shavings of metal that inturn, cut up the rubber washers. After I learned to pre-punch the holes....it was a piece of cake.

We're waiting for good weather to put the front porch roof on and will also be using evergreen metal running perpendicular to the present roof line. I think that is what gives it a cabin look!

Talk to you later.. Old Old Buddy

oldbuddy
# Posted: 21 Jan 2012 17:40

Reference the tornado....I was thinking all along that you were from Washington State and I had you confused with another member on here. I wondered how the two tornados could have been the same ones since they were 3,000 miles apart. Ha! Thanks for setting that straight. In fact we made the local news that night because they showed footage of our house and said "...and this family had just moved out of their old home when the tornado struck it." Small world.

My son told me that you and I apparently share another common hobby. I assume that the 70 Chevelle in your video belongs to you. Nice car.......and fast. I have a '67 Chevelle with a 462BBC. It's white with black interior and a turbo 400. This past spring I had a complete roller cam, rockers and lifters put in. It's a driver but gets some attention, from the motor but I hardly ever drive it. Just sits in the garage. My son (Old Buddy) had a beautiful Sunfire Yellow '68 Roadrunner with a worked 440 but had to let it go when he lost his job at Wheeling Steel-Mingo Junction plant. He's been in school for three years now and will graduate in May as a Registered Nurse. I am really proud of him. He's 36.

Old Old Buddy

DaJTCHA
# Posted: 22 Jan 2012 20:22 - Edited by: DaJTCHA

That's great! I think you have me confused about the car. I love cars, but That vehicle is a friend of my cousins. He's a master mechanic and that is a client's car.

We headed to trout camp last night and returned this afternoon. In that time, the t1-11 was installed to about 90% complete. Video coming soon.

oldbuddy
# Posted: 22 Jan 2012 23:07

Congratulations on getting your T1-11 up! It's a great feeling to make big headway, isn't it?

After we got all the plywood on the outside, I swear we had a tarp for a roof for two months, until we got the trusses built and the roof framed in for metal.

Sorry about all the mix-ups. I saw the car on your link, saw the driver's name was Dave, figured Dave was part of DaJ's, thus....the mix-up. Anyway...your cousin's friend has a fast car!

We haven't been up to the cabin since last Saturday I think. The corn's probably about running out by now. I'll get up there sometime early this week just to start a fire and relax.

Good luck on completing the T1-11.

Old Old Buddy

DaJTCHA
# Posted: 23 Jan 2012 20:31 - Edited by: DaJTCHA

another video progress report:

http://youtu.be/EucKyZCkZyc

jvgo
# Posted: 24 Jan 2012 12:34

DaJTCHA,

It's possible we might be neighbors. My small cabin is in Harmony Township, Forest County PA not too far from Tionesta and West Hickory.

Jvgo
Shed in the woods
Shed in the woods

DaJTCHA
# Posted: 24 Jan 2012 12:39 - Edited by: DaJTCHA

jvgo-

We are indeed close neighbors! LOL!

"D and J's Trout Camp Hide Away"

DaJTCHA
# Posted: 26 Jan 2012 15:05 - Edited by: DaJTCHA

http://www.youtube.com/embed/dmAcrlQpXig

DaJTCHA
# Posted: 26 Mar 2012 22:53

Here's another update. The Shed Mahal

DaJTCHA
# Posted: 8 May 2012 19:01

Here's are bunch of pictures around the finished product. At this point, since the exterior can be considered completed, I'm going to direct my focus to re-roofing a 1965 Banner 22' camper that will be eventually pulled up to camp in a few weeks. Enjoy! I'm so glad this phase is over!
EntranceWall.jpg
EntranceWall.jpg
EntranceWall3.jpg
EntranceWall3.jpg
EastWall1.jpg
EastWall1.jpg
NorthWall4.jpg
NorthWall4.jpg

DaJTCHA
# Posted: 8 May 2012 19:04

One last photo set of the Shed Mahal in all its glory! LOL! I like to thank ___________ for the color scheme idea of the roof and the forest service brown exterior walls. Not only does it look great, but it blends into the forest very well too!
NorthWall3.jpg
NorthWall3.jpg
WestWall2.jpg
WestWall2.jpg
NorthWall2.jpg
NorthWall2.jpg

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 9 May 2012 08:19

looks great---like the color it blends in nice with the setting.

DaJTCHA
# Posted: 12 May 2012 13:13 - Edited by: DaJTCHA

I chose to go with Lowe's Valspar DuraMax brand of premium paint / primer combo. It is exterior satin and the color codes for "chestnut" are

5 Gallon
EB24-1
Base 4
101-13Y26
107-16Y47
109-6Y32
113-18Y31

in case someone wants to duplicate the look. My roofing is lifetime aluma-steel in Kelly Green color. I'd like to thank Toyota_Mdt_Tech for the color combo!

spencerin
# Posted: 18 Nov 2012 14:20

jvgo and DaJTCHA,

I know this thread is a few months old, but just came across it today. Dad has a cabin in Forest County 10 minutes east of Tionesta. Small world. He's had the place for about 35 years and the memories of it prompted me to buy my own small place in IN since his is too far of a trip for me.

DaJTCHA
# Posted: 19 Nov 2012 10:22

I'm extremely close to your Dad's place, thanks for stopping in and saying hi!

CottonPicker
# Posted: 20 Nov 2012 16:51

When I read about you guys straddling the roof peak it reminded me of when I built my 24' x 28' garage/workshop!

I was concerned about slipping & falling.

I fashioned a rope harness about my torso.

To this harness I attached 2 ropes, one running to a tree on one side of the building & one running to a tree on the other side of the building.

No matter which way I might fall I would only fall about 1 foot.

Me (& my Wife) sweated a lot less!! LOL

Cotton Picker

spencerin
# Posted: 28 Nov 2012 23:09

DaJTCHA,

His cabin is close to Ross Run Road. Where is your place?

DaJTCHA
# Posted: 29 Nov 2012 10:24

I'm about 30 minutes east of there. The mountains make it a longer drive than it need be! LOL!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.