Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Farm Shed to Farm Cabin
redlandfd
# Posted: 10 Feb 2012 23:29

My wife and I built a storage shed on the farm about 17 years ago. 12 x 20 I was about 33 and had built a barn and helped with a few cabins. Fast forward to now, my son is grown and married, and wants to help me convert the shed to a cabin so they can live rent free for a while (I love a good project and like the logic). The shed had been neglected over the years. It had a good roof, good frame, and concrete floor. But rodents and mold had invaded. First goal, clean it out and clean it up, next build a sub floor, plumb and wire it, add a bathroom. Here's some photos from the start in Fall '11
Cleaned out but not cleaned up
Cleaned out but not cleaned up
The front
The front
The floor
The floor
more to do
more to do

redlandfd
# Posted: 11 Feb 2012 00:18

Here is where we added the plywood and some frame work. The bathroom will be 4x8 and in the front corner
floor
floor
floor and soap
floor and soap
insulation
insulation
more to do
more to do

neb
# Posted: 11 Feb 2012 21:27

looks good and will be a fun project.

redlandfd
# Posted: 12 Feb 2012 18:40

Thanks neb, we are getting in some good father/son time. These next photos are from the winter of 11-12 and where we are now. Since Thanksgiving, my father in law has been a big help, he works slow but is a craftsman at heart. He puts a little more time and quality in where I'd hit it and ago. Anyway we are getting closer
cedar siding
cedar siding
the boards
the boards
inside to front
inside to front
outside front
outside front

redlandfd
# Posted: 12 Feb 2012 18:42 - Edited by: redlandfd

oh yeah, can't forget the bathroom, corner kitchen and the main room
bathroom
bathroom
the room
the room
corner kitchen
corner kitchen

sparky1
# Posted: 18 Feb 2012 08:54

pretty impressive from what I see
thanks--
sparky1in s.va

neb
# Posted: 18 Feb 2012 09:59

looks good

steveqvs
# Posted: 18 Feb 2012 10:36

Wow, that is a great project. I like to see people do that and live that way, rather than get into a boatload of debt and default on loans. You are wise in letting your son move there to either get ahead or caught up in life. I wish my cabin land was closer so I could offer the same for my kids. Unfortunately my land is far away ( a couple of hours) and I live in the city with a normal sized yard. Good luck. It looks like a great place!

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 18 Feb 2012 20:01

fine job--love the red cedar

redlandfd
# Posted: 23 Feb 2012 13:15

Thank you, everyone, for your encouragement. Its taking longer than I thought and costing a little more (the add-on and upgrades while you're at it kind of thing) but its fun. I'll post some more photos this week-end. SIding is up for the most part. Working on the eaves and the sewer system now.

redlandfd
# Posted: 30 Nov 2012 08:37

Its Finished! After some delay I finally got it done, here are some potos
farm_cabin_fornt_fin.jpg
farm_cabin_fornt_fin.jpg
farm_cabin_east_fin..jpg
farm_cabin_east_fin..jpg
farm_cabin_back_fin..jpg
farm_cabin_back_fin..jpg
farm_cabin_bed_fin.J.jpg
farm_cabin_bed_fin.J.jpg

Thunder9
# Posted: 30 Nov 2012 09:40

Looks like it is all coming together. A/C very cool!

Montanagirl
# Posted: 1 Dec 2012 13:58

Always fun to see the finished product!!! Well done!

sparky1
# Posted: 1 Dec 2012 18:44

Impressive
thanks for the update.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.