Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / new from the mountains of northeast tennessee
wildwood
# Posted: 21 Jun 2009 13:16

I am in love with this site. Stumbled onto it yesterday and it has occupied my weekend. I have wanted a weekend getaway for years and have been actively looking at land for app. a year. My husband thinks I should just buy a modular home already funished but NO. I have been thinking about the storage building with loft at Home Depot. I actually found one for sale on the lake near my home. Called the agent and toured the cabin. Left with great ideas.

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 21 Jun 2009 14:09

Welcome to the Small Cabin Forum, wildwood.

lawnjocky
# Posted: 21 Jun 2009 16:31

Where in NE Tenn are you? We are currently in Oak Ridge.

Jocko

wildwood
# Posted: 25 Jul 2009 19:00

I'm in kingsport. i've been looking at land in hawkins,greene and sullivan county for app. one year. it's so expensive. chancery court auction today, land went for over 8 thousand an acre. too rich for my blood or bank account. my husband doesn't understand why i need raw land and can't just look at land with trailers or houses already inplace. it's about the process and the location. the decisions for location of cabin, materials and hands on.

bugs
# Posted: 27 Jul 2009 17:05

Hi Wildwood

$8k/acre!!!! Wow.

We are of like minds. In our neck of NA (Saskatchewan) the big thing is an acerage. Buy a 5 acre plot of bald prairie for $150k then try to fit a 4 "acre" house on it worth $$$$$$!!!! On our commutes to our property with its 77sq/ft shed on it, we drive by many such properties. We also drive by an rv lake resort where they are so packed in that your next door neighbour is closer to your fridge/your beer than you are!!! And this is called fun and getting away from things by some people.

Although our little project is alot of work and a few $$$ it is worth every penny and sore muscle to sit and hear nothing but the wind in the trees.

I wish you luck in finding something.

Anonymous
# Posted: 3 Aug 2009 11:10

Miller County MO land........80 acres $104,000 Been listed for a few months http://www.midmorealty.com/Barnett/Missouri/Farms_and_Acreages/Miller_County/Agent/Li sting_1972973.html

Anonymous
# Posted: 21 Apr 2010 17:22

Wildwood
Out looking at cabin this weekend in southwest Va (High Knob). We had to use four wheel drive to get there. 2.5 acres with a two bedroom cabin on top of a mountain. Couldn't get in or out if raining or snowing. Electricity several miles away. I realized that off grid not for me. Give me power and running water.

Jerry
# Posted: 21 Apr 2010 18:05

Wildwood,

Welcome Wildwood. It always gives me a good feeling to know there are others out there like me, and rest assured, you aren't alone in your cabin wishes. My friends cabins/homes are mostly congregated on a relatively large lake in northern Minnesota. It's expensive and nice if you can afford it, but to me it always looks like they're trying to outdo each other, and with the boats, jet skis, fireworks, etc it's anything but peaceful. On the other hand, what I've got is what I can afford, a small warm cabin on a small lake with only seven cabins on it. I've got forty acres with my place, and then miles of public land, so whatever the season I'm in the center of peace and quiet. We don't have a swimming beach, there is one nearby, but we do canoe, fish, watch the swans, ducks, geese, moose, deer, timber wolves, etc, shoot ours guns at my private range, and gather wild rice in the fall. If we hear a vehicle on the dead end road that serves the cabins, we stop and listen because it's unusual and we want to know what's going on in our area. Now I'm not bragging, but the more I see what others are doing, and the more my friends encourage me to sell what I've got to get in line with their lives, the happier I am with what I've got. Sure I've got to snowshoe or snowmobile in in the winter, but it's doable and makes you feel all the more satisfied once you 're there and the cabin is warm.

So Wildwood, follow your heart. Figure out what you want, go for it and never look back. Good luck in your search.

Jerry

wildwood
# Posted: 1 Aug 2010 15:12

I don't believe it.... I think I looked at the same one. Built by family in Gate City who is selling because they just bought a small farm? Spent Thanksgiving there;"best Thanksgiving" he had ever had? Had a bedroom, real bathroom and shower with hot water and a small loft upstairs? Did you get to High Knob from the Gate City side or the ?Norton side? My husband and I met the owner at the Pizza Hut in Gate City and followed him. I loved the Stony Creek area and could see living there. We did OK on the main dirt road but when he turned off onto the "goat trail" called a road, I began to think I had made a terrible mistake. I loved the cabin but even a little rain would make it impossible to get out; forget it with snow.

REBogart
# Posted: 21 Apr 2012 21:55

What about Park Model Cabins? If you can place a mobile home or a pre-fab structure then why not a Park Model?

oldbuddy
# Posted: 29 Apr 2012 00:07

Wildwood-If you find a piece of land anywhere in the vicinity that you're looking, you'll either be able to get to it with a 4X4 or even a four-wheeler ATV....if it comes to that. We built (primarily my son and I with a little help, here and there) a 12X16 cabin that originally, we could only get to about 7 months a year. Then I smartened up last November and bought a Honda 500 four-wheeler. Believe me, our land has a dirt road that is 4/10 of a mile to our cabin from the hard-top road but climbs nearly 600 feet in elevation. You use the truck when it's dry and the Honda when it's snow-covered, muddy, etc. But the main thing is.....the weather won't determine if we get to the top or not.
Our place is nothing fancy. No running water, no electricity, no sewege. We just carry our water, have a generator to run power tools or lighting and use a potty chair for the necessary things. But I can promise you one thing, it's not short on good times for my wife and I, our kids and especially our three grandchildren!
The cabin is wired and we have a 110 volt plug hanging underneath it to plug into the generator for electrical conveniences, when needed. I have a heavy-duty 100 foot extension cord to keep the generator a long way from the cabin. Our cabin is insulated and the stove keeps us as warm as we want. There is just no substitute for peace and quiet! You can check us out on "A 12X16 on a hilltop in Ohio."

Good luck in your search but don't let a little elevation scare you off.

Old Old Buddy. My son is simply Old Buddy but we both sign in under his name.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.