Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Flooring advice
Borrego
# Posted: 9 May 2012 18:40

So I've decided to use regular pine or whitewood 1x8" plank flooring both for looks and cost ($.97 per sq ft). My question is to just lay it side by side or cut it with a dado blade to provide an overlap (see pic below). Both ways have their different looks and inherent dis & advantages. My main concern is the wood shrinking even slightly (I'm in the desert but will acclimate the wood one way or another) and I'm thinking I might be better off with the shiplap in that case. Thoughts?

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 9 May 2012 19:08

What is underneath for a sub-floor? I would at least shiplap it or maybe get a tongue/groove set for your router. That's just thinking aloud though. I don't really have any experience with it but have thought about using our local juniper as flooring for our eventual cabin.

Borrego
# Posted: 9 May 2012 22:24

I've got 3/4" CDX underneath, pretty solid..... I figure on putting underlayment beneath the 1x8's.......

Montanan
# Posted: 12 May 2012 17:59

Well, we also used pine 1x8' planks. We just laid it side by side- no T&G or shiplap. We have OSB subfloor and put a foam underlay before laying down the planks and nailing them in. So far, so good. If you want more info on what we did, check out the "Our 22x26 family cabin" thread under the members projects.

Hope that helps.

Borrego
# Posted: 12 May 2012 18:15

thanks! what type of underlayment did you use?

Montanan
# Posted: 12 May 2012 18:24

We just used a mid-grade rolled foam underlayment (used under standard wood flooring.) I can't recall the exact specs- sorry.

You could also use trollbridge's suggestion of using carsiding (T&G planks) turned upside down. But that'll cost you more, for sure.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.