Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Hunting cabin in Northern , MN
<< . 1 . 2 .
OwenChristensen
# Posted: 18 Jun 2013 22:14 - Edited by: OwenChristensen

Yes, we just nail like the directions say. I've never seen a problem.
Here's a big ceiling that's several years old.
Now what your friend might be thinking is, 1x8's have less nails per. bd. ft. compared to 1x6. I'd say if you're using a finish airnailer, maybe you could bump a couple in the same rafter now and then.
ceiling
ceiling

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 27 Jun 2013 21:13

Day five of the Ely hunting cabin. We finished insulating and started paneling the inside. We got the ceiling done and two walls. We're going back tomorrow to finish all. I took picture at the start of today , but not the end. I'll post the completed cabin tomorrow night.

Thriftyone
# Posted: 28 Jun 2013 01:08

Hi Owen, love the photos. I have a question on your rafters from the earlier photos you posted. Did you use a ridge board? I looks like you used 2 X 8's 24" o.c.?

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 28 Jun 2013 06:27

No , they're 2x4 trusses that I build myself. I'll try to find better pics. By the way welcome. I myself like thrifty, I built my cabin from scraps from all the others.
trusses
trusses

Thriftyone
# Posted: 28 Jun 2013 19:55 - Edited by: Thriftyone

Thanks owen. I like the truss idea but hoping to do a 12/12 pitch. Have you made trusses with a steep pitch? Like a parallel truss with
success?

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 28 Jun 2013 20:18

I do 12/12 all the time. I just fish plate 2x6's together at the peak, no ridge board. It's hard to screw up 12/12. I'll show pictures later.
Here's the cabin we finished today.

Thriftyone
# Posted: 28 Jun 2013 21:50 - Edited by: Thriftyone

Nice cabin...I wish I could say I finished mine today as well...are you able to span your 2x6 trusses 14' @ 24" o.c.? I have a skylite I am trying to work into my cabin. In regards to the trusses you make, I was trying to maintain the same 12/12 pitch on the inside vault as well for head room on my loft. Thanks for your wisdom

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 29 Jun 2013 09:12

The best setup for 14' wide would be to use 2x8's you don't need that much strength , but the space for insulation is nice. You can use 6'' R-21 and still have a space for ventilation.
The 24'' oc spacing is plenty strong, but building codes for residential building require 16'' on rafter construction and 24'' on trusses.. Yes, I trussplate the joint on top, but it's still just rafters. On most hunting or back woods cabins the rules are not enforced. Actually many of the residential requirements would ruin a cabin. Like full time mechanical ventilation.

Usa89gt
# Posted: 10 Nov 2013 08:57

Hi Owen

I see the 12x24 cabin you built is EXACTLY what I am searching for. Do you have the plans for sale or can you point me in the right direction?

Cheers and you are very talented with all of your builds

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 10 Nov 2013 21:21

Usa89gt
Thank you......I didn't have plans, I just build and sometimes I change something the next time. I don't have any problem giving advice though. Just ask questions.

Usa89gt
# Posted: 11 Nov 2013 00:56

Thanks Owen

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.