Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / New Member From NH
TinyIslandOwner
# Posted: 1 Jul 2012 00:39

Although I am a new member, I have spent several months as a lurker. I have enjoyed reading all the posts old and new and especially like looking at all the pictures of everyone's cabins. My husband and I, purchased a very tiny private island on a small lake in NH, the island has a small cabin that was built in the 1930's on it. My husband found the island on craigslist back in March of 2011. We weren't looking for a cabin, it was just something he stumbled upon and thought was cool. I have never been fond of camping and thought he was nuts, but agreed to go and look at it with him. The ice was melted enough for us to get to the island by canoe. It was nothing fancy, but I instantly fell in love with it. It was one of the most peaceful places I have ever been. We both immediately knew we had to have it and called the real estate agent who agreed to open up his office on a Sunday so we could purchase it. The cabin is located only an hour away from our house so we go there as often as we can. The only time we don't have access to the cabin is in the winter when the lake starts to ice, and isn't thick enough to go on. We use a wood stove for heat, a generator for electricity when needed (the cabin is all wired for it). There is a campground on the lake, and we use their showers. We use a portable toilet and bring in our own water. We have big dreams for our tiny island and cabin, but for now we are enjoying it the way it is!
Island_Pics_016.jpg
Island_Pics_016.jpg
Island_Pics_013.jpg
Island_Pics_013.jpg
Island_Pics_011.jpg
Island_Pics_011.jpg
Island_Pics_012.jpg
Island_Pics_012.jpg

hattie
# Posted: 1 Jul 2012 01:02

What a beautiful find!!! Congratulations and welcome to the forum!

rayyy
# Posted: 1 Jul 2012 04:37

Love that Craigslist.You found a real jem,TIO.Wonderful story.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 1 Jul 2012 07:40

very nice camp--welcome to the forum

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 1 Jul 2012 08:59

Welcome....and thats an awesome place! You will get many ideas on this forum...keep sharing your pics!

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 1 Jul 2012 09:00

Welcome. Islands are special. I worked for a family last year and built three little cabins on a island in far north MN. Took me long enough with the lumber hauling.

Owen

cabingal3
# Posted: 1 Jul 2012 12:01

welcome .very lovely place u have there.u will love this group...

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 1 Jul 2012 13:06

What a great story! Love your 1930's camp. It sure is special. I can see why you feel in love with it! I am also on a island. We have a log cabin we built in 2007.

trollbridge
# Posted: 2 Jul 2012 11:18

Awesome! Welcome too!!
Boy did this bring back a great memory for me-camping in northern Minnesota during the 70's. We would take one of the campground rowboats out to this island that had a little tiny cabin on it that nobody used. It was so cute and the island so peaceful...I wonder what ever became of it.
I hope you get years and years of enjoyment out of your little slice of heaven! Congratulations!

TinyIslandOwner
# Posted: 3 Jul 2012 09:46

Thanks for all the warm welcomes. This forum has truly inspired me. Can't wait to start remolding the cabin. My husband has been lugging building supplies and such every trip. We own a Demoltion Company and salvage everything we can. We have thousands of used bricks and granite that he has been hauling up to build walk ways, patio and an outdoor kitchen but first he wants to address the back side of our camp where it is starting to erode. We have a couple small older boats that we have been using out on the lake abd purchased a 2001 Seadoo Jet Boat in May to use for tubing and got it in the water and it had a blown engine. Just got it back from being repaired and hoping it works this time. I'm very excited to be heading to the cabin today for a few days. Hope you all have a Happy & Safe 4th!

oldbuddy
# Posted: 4 Jul 2012 21:21

Hi and welcome to the forum. I have a story about an island with cabin and all. I was muskie fishing in Ontario northeast of Toronto a couple of hours in a small group of lakes they call the Quwortha's or Cawortha's (can't remember the spelling). I do know that three of the lakes were called Pigeon Lake, Buckhorn Lake, and Rice Lake. I can't remember the fourth name. Anyway.....we were fishing and staying in a cabin on Pigeon Lake and there was a very small island about 5o yards from shore about 75 feet in diameter (very small). and you could rent the cabin/dock/swimming platform/boat and complete island if you had enough money. WE DIDN'T! It was absolutely beautiful. I've never forgotten that little island camp. I guess I'm very envious of your camp. I'm sure you are aware just how fortunate you are to have it. I hope you enjoy it to the fullest! We don't have a speck of water near us except the creek that runs along our property line 700 feet in elevation below our cabin location. It would be nice but......it wasn't in the cards! I hope you keep us updated on your progress.

Old Old Buddy

neb
# Posted: 4 Jul 2012 21:27

Looks like a great place you have!!! Welcome

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.