Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Another newbie to the Forum- Hello!
Gypsy
# Posted: 15 Jul 2012 12:26

Hello!

I have been reading these wonderful message boards for quite some time now, and my husband and I recently bought a small cabin on about 2 acres of land. I originally had a "10 year plan" to buy a cabin, which turned into a "5 year plan", which then turned into "let's go and find us a cabin this week" plan. We had originally wanted more land than 2 acres, but the spot we found suited us perfectly, and since we plan on eventually retiring in this cabin, having some people close by in case of emergencies ended up being important to us (Alone but not all alone).

We plan on adding onto this cabin eventually so that we can permanently move there, but that won't be for many, many years. The cabin right now is 16x30, a small bedroom and bathroom, and was sitting there meant just for us, because I fell in love with it at first sight!

It was so wonderful to find this sight, because we didn't know if there were other people like us out there, and it's been amazing reading all of the stories, and seeing the pictures that you all post. We have learned so much in a short time from the advice that many of you share, so like I said, it's been truly amazing reading everyone's stories.

Looking forward to continue reading all of your adventures!

Gypsy

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 15 Jul 2012 13:39

Welcome Gypsy....how bout' some pics of this cabin?? We wanna see it!

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 15 Jul 2012 13:53

Welcome aboard. Yes, it supprized me how other people think like me.
Owen

naturelover66
# Posted: 15 Jul 2012 13:59

Welcome !!! Congrats on your Cabin Purchase !!! Great group of people here......
Lisa

MJW
# Posted: 15 Jul 2012 14:36

Nice to meet you, Gypsy!

You have found a wealth of information and I have found almost everyone here to be very welcoming and helpful.

Nothing like sharing and learning from like-minded people.

I, too, would love to see some photos of your place!

Rifraf
# Posted: 15 Jul 2012 15:29

Welcome,

I stumbled on this site almost a year ago? and im so glad I did. You've found a nice little place to hang out, learn, and share.

Octobot
# Posted: 15 Jul 2012 16:32

Hello,

I am the aformentioned husband of Gypsy. Really enjoy seeing peoples projects and reading the helpfull info on the site, and i guess its our time to stop lurking.

I have some pictures to share of our cabin. Don't really have too many pictures of the interior yet, since we are still getting things settled. Spent most of our time there so far cleaning and making it "ours". Have alot of plans and ideas for the place and canta wait to get started!
cabin
cabin
porch detail
porch detail
floor plan
floor plan
forest
forest

Octobot
# Posted: 15 Jul 2012 16:32 - Edited by: Octobot

one last pic
clearing/drive
clearing/drive

Borrego
# Posted: 15 Jul 2012 16:41

Very nice! How big sq ft? And whereabouts generally?
Welcome

Gypsy
# Posted: 15 Jul 2012 16:41

I leave it to the husband to post the pictures We'll be sure to take more inside pictures for everyone to see!

Octobot
# Posted: 15 Jul 2012 16:51

The cabin is 480sq ft, and it's located near Olean NY.

trollbridge
# Posted: 15 Jul 2012 19:31

Welcome to both of you...nice to have another couple here!

So excited for you...the adventure begins...enjoy!

PS...I laughed at your 10 year plan! You guys have about as much patience as Mr. Troll and I

hattie
# Posted: 15 Jul 2012 21:15

Welcome both of you!! I understand your 10 year plan shrinking so quickly. Hubby and I did the same thing. We weren't supposed to be living in our cabin full time until 2012. hmmmm.....We've been here since September, 2007. *S* We had used our cabin just for weekends for about 5 years before we moved here full time. I fell in love with our place the first time I saw it and it was covered in graffitti inside, had no septic, water or electric. It was perfect. *grin*

Please keep us posted (and with lots of pictures) on your progress. Your place looks great!!! It is an exciting time for you!

oldbuddy
# Posted: 19 Jul 2012 23:04

Welcome to the site. I think you'll get just about any question answered that you might have on this forum.

Where is Olean? Is it near the finger-lake region? I remember about 30 years ago driving through NY on a two-lane highway running north to south and it was absolutely beautiful! We stopped at Watkins-Glen and took a limousine to the top and walked down 800 plus steps carved in the rock, to the bottom where our cars were parked. I remember blue-green pools of water caught by the solid-rock bottom. Some of the pools were 25-30 feet deep and you could easily see the bottom. It was truly gorgeous. I want to say it was route 14 or 15??? Anyway...it ended up in Washington DC because that's where we were headed! It was the prettiest part of NY that I have been in.

I stayed in Oneonta, NY about six years ago in the fall and it was very pretty with the changing of the leaves. It was a very friendly town as well. I believe it was just off of Interstate 85, correct?

I hope you enjoy your cabin and time on this forum. My son (Old Buddy) and I (Old Old Buddy) have been on here for a little over a year but we have been in the building phase for the past two years. Still are! LOL It has been one of the happiest times of my life building that cabin on the hilltop. Stay in touch.

Old Old Buddy

neb
# Posted: 20 Jul 2012 01:15

Welcome Gypsy

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.