Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Finally getting our small cabin started!!!
tnky03
# Posted: 20 Jul 2012 11:03

Nine months after buying our property our small cabin has at last been started. We have changed our minds a few times on the spot to build on, the size of cabin, and the layout... but at least we have finally begun, lol. This is stage one which will be a 10x12 "shed" and the first of three. We decided to keep each on beams so they can be moved if the need should ever arise. Sheds will be off-grid, with a self contained travel trailer on-site which is hooked to electric and dump station located about ten minutes away. Already having fun collecting materials from Craigslist and the challenge of building debt free.
71912_cabin_founda.jpg
71912_cabin_founda.jpg

VTweekender
# Posted: 20 Jul 2012 11:24

Congrats!!!!! Sounds like a great plan!!

Looking close at your pic I would have just 1 concern though, it looks like you don't have a ton of tree cover from wind. Your cabin being perched up on 2 loose blocks like it is, will go off its perch in a big gust of wind, the 70-80 mph type gust, which happens. I would take a step in preventing that of happening by attaching a cable at least in each corner of the joists to a drove in the ground rod, drive it in the ground at an angle and deep. Like you would anchor a tent, but with heavier anchors, the anchor rods 2 or 3 ft and strong cable or even chain.

Kev

exsailor
# Posted: 20 Jul 2012 15:51 - Edited by: exsailor

Looking at the cinder blocks, I think I see a problem. Shouldn't the blocks be oriented with the open cells up? That I believe is where they are the strongest. In a regular foundation that is the way they are oriented.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 20 Jul 2012 17:32

He's got a point. I've seen heavy cabins crush cement block that arn't stacked like there supposed to be.

Owen

trollbridge
# Posted: 20 Jul 2012 18:53

Congrats to you for getting started!!!! Keep posting pictures and updates

neb
# Posted: 20 Jul 2012 19:03

Good luck and have fun!!!!!!!!!

naturelover66
# Posted: 20 Jul 2012 19:47

Congrats!!! Enjoy the process!!!

tnky03
# Posted: 24 Jul 2012 22:16

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. As far as the foundation... well you have to understand my hubby was a builder for many years and just follows his own ideas, lol! He says a 10x12 will be no problem as far as load on the foundation. After the building is done he will place more block which will stack up to cabin itself and provide more stability, also plans to put in anchor rods and bolt to the skids to help as far as safety. There is a hill and some woods to the back of cabin which really helps as far as breaking the wind force. Our RV sat on the same site for several months and even in some really bad storms with tornadoes nearby we had no problems. If we had more money we'd build much differently, I'm sure but with his business bottoming out, my health problems, and having 3-4 grands pretty much full-time for nearly four years... well we've had to pinch pennies really hard. We're headed into our later years and this should last us as long as we'll need it and if not, well look out nursing home here we may come, LOL. This site has been such an encouragement and has helped us to believe "Yes, we can do this". Ugh, I hate even using that phrase anymore, LOL! Our sub floor is now down and one wall up, with a second ready to raise. It's 10ft. and a bit more than the two of us can handle, will have to call in a strong nephew probably. So loving this!!!
20120724_15.16.42..jpg
20120724_15.16.42..jpg

oldbuddy
# Posted: 31 Jul 2012 19:40

tnky03
It takes me back watching you and your husband put your little piece of heaven together. Enjoy it to the max! Take lots of pictures....you'll never regret it. Did I understand you to say you'll be building three of them? Are you planning to attach them together at some point?

Keep us up to date. Once you get a roof on it and don't have to worry about the weather, the pressure is off!

Old Old Buddy

neb
# Posted: 31 Jul 2012 23:11

Looks good and keep us post on the progress!!!

tnky03
# Posted: 31 Jul 2012 23:18

Well, twelve days into our build, (several of those days with no work done due to weather or travel) and we have all walls up, ceiling in place, and rafters nailed and waiting for sheathing! There are just a couple of last minute spots to finish and then window and door can be installed. This first "shed" will eventually serve as kitchen/dining and is very rustic. We are using rough lumber from the Amish mill. Hopefully, by the end of next week the inside will be done (enough) to start moving things into. Thanks, Old Old Buddy for the encouragement, and we are enjoying the building together. The "sheds" will be side by side and will be attached at seams in a way they can be taken apart if needed at a later date. We know this is quite unconventional but we are hoping to avoid a lot of hassles by going with 10x12 sheds on skids. We shall see how this works. Maybe we are a bit crazy... but building totally debt free while on a tiny budget sometimes a little craziness, LOL!
view from kitchen window
view from kitchen window
putting down ceiling boards over ceiling joists
putting down ceiling boards over ceiling joists
two of our grands helping nail OSB to wall sections
two of our grands helping nail OSB to wall sections
rafters done as dark arrived
rafters done as dark arrived

cabingal3
# Posted: 1 Aug 2012 06:58

i love seeing construction of cabins.something about it.
i love wood.
i cant build a dog gone thing so it is always a thrill for me to see all these great cabins.
one lady on here said with her trusty power drill she could build anything.i am with her on that one for sure.maybe i could build.i have lots of ideas.
i admire all the building people on here do.

cabingal3
# Posted: 1 Aug 2012 06:58

tnky03-u also have a wonderful view.

tnky03
# Posted: 1 Aug 2012 11:09

Thanks, Cabingal3. Go for it with your ideas. I am a firm believer that with determination one can do most anything.

trollbridge
# Posted: 1 Aug 2012 12:22

[quote=tnky03] I am a firm believer that with determination one can do most anything.[/quote
I couldn't agree more!
So happy for you tnky...you are moving along nicely. I like that you are going to do "sections". Less overwhelming that way for sure!
Cute grandchildren too!!

tnky03
# Posted: 1 Aug 2012 15:52

Thanks, Trollbridge. You're right about it not being so overwhelming. We should have this section done soon and hopefully before winter have another one done, as well. The two of us can fare just fine this winter with two rooms, I think. We've had 3-4 grands with us most of the time for the past 4 yrs and they are moving about 45 min. away this week. I will have much more time to work on finishing touches and decorating. That will also help me cope as I know I will miss them terribly, even though we will still have them some weekends.

trollbridge
# Posted: 1 Aug 2012 22:41

Quoting: tnky03
That will also help me cope as I know I will miss them terribly,

Wow, that will be hard-good thing it is only 45 minutes but still...they become such a deep part of your life when you see them almost daily. It is good you will have your cabin to work on and decorate-it will keep you busy and help fill the void

cabingal3
# Posted: 2 Aug 2012 21:29

my daughter and grandsons all just left for Utah.whee.i am happy for them cause i am pooped .Mostly i am glad they will have a new start in sunshine instead of always oregon rains.
i am gonna reclaim my home.me and the mister.whee.

trollbridge
# Posted: 3 Aug 2012 07:51

Quoting: cabingal3
i am gonna reclaim my home.me and the mister.whee.

I hope your daughter does well and is happy in Utah. You deserve the break and deserve to have your home to yourself too!

cabingal3
# Posted: 3 Aug 2012 08:40

thank u trollbridge.last nite several car doors slammed.gary o got up to check and see if the wrecking crew was back.lol.nope.he said we are still alone.just hoping i get the call from Utah that they made it.then i am telling them...no coming back here so make it good where u are planted.

trollbridge
# Posted: 3 Aug 2012 10:25

LOL! Funny how paranoid you become huh? I hope they arrive safely.

cabingal3
# Posted: 3 Aug 2012 17:49

not paranoid...weary and leery.ha ha ha.
they just called.told me they were broke down in the middle of no where and it was 102 degrees.i said call his family.they all just started laughing.lol.they were just kidding.hugs cabi

tnky03
# Posted: 20 Aug 2012 13:05

We have the first section of our little cabin under roof. Now just to get the inside walls finished and the outside done. Hoping to get the next section dried in before cold weather arrives.
81412_first_sectio.jpg
81412_first_sectio.jpg

trollbridge
# Posted: 20 Aug 2012 22:52

YAY tnky3!!
Now where will phase 2 attach? Keep posting pics!

tnky03
# Posted: 21 Aug 2012 11:07

Tks, TB. The second section will attach to the right in the pic. I guess this is a crazy way of building but we are both a bit crazy anyways, lol.

trollbridge
# Posted: 21 Aug 2012 11:51 - Edited by: trollbridge

Quoting: tnky03
I guess this is a crazy way of building but we are both a bit crazy anyways, lol

We are too then cause that is what we did with our original cabin- started with 8 x12 and added another 8 x 12 a few months later! worked out great! It's good to be a bit crazy

tnky03
# Posted: 21 Aug 2012 23:40

It's good to hear we aren't the only ones who've built this way. Most of our friends look at us a little strange when they hear what we're doing, actually a lot strange. I'm just glad not to have a mortgage payment even if is does mean living a little, well a lot different. I must say I am anxious to get phase 1 finished and move on to phase 2.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.