Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Cabin dream begins!
Greenie
# Posted: 3 Aug 2012 16:42

I finally got my dream cabin project started last week after thinking about it for a year and a half. This will be an interesting project as I am cutting the trees myself, have no real experience, and only have occassional availability to do this. Last week I acquired a 4 wheeler for moving logs in the woods, bought a chain saw and some other basic equipment. I actually found a great drawknife in my best friends old barn which was cool. We managed to cut 6 trees and get 11 logs with at least one more sitting in the woods waiting to be peeled and stacked. Considering I only put maybe 8 hours of real labor in and I was on vacation with the wife and kids I consider the first work week a success.

I plan to go up to the site again in another couple of weeks with out wife and kids and some additional hands and put in a good two days work. My goal would be to cut and peel another 10 trees (20 logs).

The only big question I have right now is confirming that the way I am peeling and stacking the logs is sound and won't result in rotten logs. I am using Eastern White Pine. I cut them, peel them right away and stack them. The first stack was stacked on logs from a standing dead (birch I believe) so they are off the ground. Is there anything wrong with this set up? Should I be doing anything else to protect the logs?

Thanks,

Greenie
Cabin_project_day_1..jpg
Cabin_project_day_1..jpg

TomChum
# Posted: 3 Aug 2012 17:54 - Edited by: TomChum

Many trees let loose of their bark easily when first cut, and then as it dries the bark gets glued on. With a freshly cut DougFir you can peel big sheets of bark off with a wrecking bar (flatbar). I don't know within how many days you have to peel them (the easy way). But I did try after 3 weeks and the bark was stuck on like glue.

Also its easiest in the springtime into early summer when the sap is running. I peeled a log July 15 like this. I cut the bark lengthwise with a utility knife then pried off big sheets of bark 5 feet long and 1/4 way around the log. It was "easy" and sloppy/sticky wet too.

In the pic, these are all Douglas Fir. The white logs were peeled immediately July 15. The other logs were felled in December when the sap was no longer running. The rightmost one peeled within minutes (in December) and the peeling (with a drawknife) was difficult.

And then the other logs with dried-on bark,,, are going to be difficult too.

The white logs in this pic were peeled without even scratching the wood, it was so easy. But 3 weeks later the white wood was all spotted on the topsides (looks like a mold or algae). They were left outside in the sun.

Some folks say to stack the logs in the shade. Or spread hay over your pile to keep the sun off.
Doug Fir logs.  White logs peeled July 15, minutes after felling, bark came off in sheets.
Doug Fir logs. White logs peeled July 15, minutes after felling, bark came off in sheets.

beachman
# Posted: 3 Aug 2012 18:57

You are right on TomChum. Have to peel those logs right away and early in the summer. I am told that after the full moon in July, the sap stops running and peeling becomes difficult. Once they are peeled, if kept off the round as you say, they will last for several years without rot. Let them dry out after peeling for a couple of weeks - otherwise you will be full of pitch from handling.

Greenie
# Posted: 4 Aug 2012 11:45

Hoping I didn't miss my window. I peeled a bunch of logs last week and as you say it was a breeze. However, I left three of the largest there on the ground because I couldn't move them and didn't have the additional time to engineer a way so I figured i'd deal with them when I go back mid August. I am hoping the sap is still running because it was so easy to peel last week it would be an additional challenge if it became very hard to peel the logs.

TomChum
# Posted: 4 Aug 2012 12:40

Get a log arch. Here's a thread about moving logs.

fpw
# Posted: 4 Aug 2012 14:02 - Edited by: fpw

Enjoy your cabin project!

Spring cut is easier to peel; however, the wood will not be as sound as trees cut in the winter. Best time to cut is always winter. The logs will be harder to peel but the wood will be much better in the long run. However, as you know when you can get there and work has a lot to do with it. I try an avoid cutting and peeling in the spring, I wait till at least late August or early September.

I've peeled many logs and antique drawknives works fine. The best investment I made was in a Barr Drawknife. Barr is out of Montana and makes hand forged tools, I was very impressed with the time I saved after purchasing this draw-knife:

http://barrtools.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BT&Product_Code=DKM&Cate gory_Code=DK
Draw Knife

As far protecting the logs, it depends...

What type of cabin are you building?

I worked alone to build the Stump Ranch www.peelinglogs.blogspot.com it took me two years from cutting the trees to getting the roof on. I opted to leave the bark on the trees until they were needed. For the wall logs I stacked the logs on skids with the bark on and sprayed the bark with a bit of diesel to keep the bugs down. I peeled them, cut and notched the logs, and put them on the building the same day.

Next trip out, you might find some blotchy looking logs. It is hard to see the sapwood on the spring cut logs. As the sapwood dries it turns brown. You have to peel that part. After peeling, hit the logs with some pentreat (or similar product) and borax.
Log.jpg
Log.jpg
log1.jpg
log1.jpg

Greenie
# Posted: 21 Aug 2012 13:47 - Edited by: Greenie

More progress this weekend. Not as much as would like but progress. More satisfying is how much I learn each time. Unfortunately, chainsaw died on me Sat evening and had to bring it in for repair as I know next to nothing about small (or large) engines. But finished felling one tree with saw and then cut it up with an axe and then spent rest of time peeling.
Cabin_weekend_8191.jpg
Cabin_weekend_8191.jpg
Cabin_weekend_8191.jpg
Cabin_weekend_8191.jpg

exsailor
# Posted: 21 Aug 2012 15:06 - Edited by: exsailor

You have a great start. You are all ready a step a head your logs are on sacrificial logs, continue to keep them of the ground. Spray or mop them with a borate solution. That will keep the bugs at bay. Don't cover your logs with a tarp, it blocks air circulation, but suspending a tarp roof over them works. If that is not possible leave them uncovered, off the ground and with enough space between them to allow them to air dry.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.