Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Near Complete Project and Questions about bldg. Tiny House
bostonman98
# Posted: 24 Sep 2012 19:21

Hello Everyone
Not too new to the site but haven't posted that much and barely any of my near completed cabin. My grandfather built a simple 10x20 in 1962 and in the Summer of 2011 my friend and I, along with help from many friends and family, did a solid rebuild. It is up near Bangor, ME on a lake with no road access, made getting materials across quite a feat. Here's a link to an album I've made of the project in Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67533430@N08/sets/72157631615750716/
That project really made me want to pursue carpentry further and now as my senior thesis project in college I'm hoping to build a Tiny House, the ones on trailers. I don't have to build it until the spring so I have some time to plan but it is now all I think about. Has anyone here ever built one of these? I would love to hear stories or see pictures, or even come check it out if you're near the Boston area! I have to do a thorough design and preliminary plans of the build so I will keep everyone posted.
Until then I am on the look out for a flatbed utility trailer, around 7' x 16', if anyone here in the Northeast has one for sale or knows of one that's the first order of business, other than that wondering if anyone else has built one of these.

GomerPile
# Posted: 25 Sep 2012 06:23 - Edited by: GomerPile

I built an XS house and am working on the Bodega model currently (tumbleweed tiny homes). My Bodega build is here : http://bodegabuild.wordpress.com

I did not build on a trailer because its a lot cheaper to just have a shed mover move it when needed. Depending on your needs that might save some $.

I'm in western MA, about an hours drive from Boston.

bostonman98
# Posted: 28 Sep 2012 19:10

Oh nice. A question about your XS house, what size are your roof rafters? I've seen some tiny homes with 2x4's as roof rafters, that seems a little sketchy but maybe not.

davestreck
# Posted: 28 Sep 2012 20:01

I just checked out your Flickr slideshow. Major props! Great job bringing an old cabin back. It looks like you went with real wood windows and solid wood siding and planking. If so, good on you. Plywood/OSB and vinyl just don't feel right to me in a cabin. We're supposed to be communing with nature, not breathing in the off-gassing of chemically processed petroleum-based wood substitutes. Support your local sawmill!

Nice job, and good luck with the Tiny House.

Cheers,

Dave

GomerPile
# Posted: 29 Sep 2012 07:06

Quoting: bostonman98
A question about your XS house, what size are your roof rafters? I've seen some tiny homes with 2x4's as roof rafters, that seems a little sketchy but maybe not

If I remember right they were just under 6 ft long. There's no reason you could not double them up or switch to 2x6's. In the bodega I am building, I have switched to 2x12's from 2x8's so I can stuff more insulation in there. It was either that or use rigid foam which is pretty costly.

bostonman98
# Posted: 15 Oct 2012 13:41

GomerPile, I was wondering if I might be able to come and check out your XS house maybe in the next couple of weeks. Making a little progress on the design (photo attached), I have the house mostly framed out just missing the loft. My e-mail address is andersongpage@gmail.com if that might work out
Tiny House Design
Tiny House Design

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.