Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / My Cabin in Upstate New York
. 1 . 2 . >>
lex
# Posted: 7 Oct 2009 09:02 - Edited by: lex

Here is a pic of my cabin in upstate New York. It was constructed by me over one year from a kit (shelter-kit of New England).

It sits on concrete piers, at the moment there is no running water or septic system.

I've just joined the forum and I'm still figuring out how to post pics. I'll add more shortly.
The finished product (so far)
The finished product (so far)
the foundation
the foundation
the sides go up
the sides go up
getting there
getting there

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 7 Oct 2009 10:28

I love it!
I guess it's 10x10', with 10' high walls to accommodate a loft - those are dimensions I would use if I would build my small cabin again.
Looks cozy inside too.

Moontreeranch
# Posted: 10 Oct 2009 16:28

Kudo's on the deck being built with the cabin...keeps thing cleaner inside and you'll love the added space.

I hope to get my entry deck built this week ..as I dry in the rest of the cabin...we are planning for a large wrap around next year

swanugly
# Posted: 11 Oct 2009 11:30

very nice , i like all the windows it must be bright inside .

lex
# Posted: 13 Oct 2009 09:20

The cabin's foot print is 16x16 with a 8X16 sleeping loft above the back half. it's 17 1/2 feet from the deck to the ridge beam.

The well was dug last week (400 feet!)

nicholas
# Posted: 5 Dec 2010 15:12

u'r cabin looks great... I'm considering buying land in upstate NY and i was wondering what size requirement are to build with out a building permit??

bobrok
# Posted: 5 Dec 2010 20:13

Welcome lex. We upstate New Yorkers will soon take over the forum :-)
Folks who haven't been here usually have little idea that "upstate" is a far cry from NYC.

dk1393
# Posted: 6 Dec 2010 16:22

I am in Oswego County, You can build up to 140 sq without a permit.

bobrok
# Posted: 6 Dec 2010 21:57

One thing you should consider is interviewing local building authorities and builders before you buy land. Some locales have a very lax permitting approach where others will try to drive you out of town before you build your 'shack'. I heard of someone near me who had to tear his trusses off because he used the wrong fasteners. He rebuilt each one, reinstalled them and the inspector didn't even bother to come back to look at them...just signed off on it w/o inspection.
You didn't mention where you were looking but another issue you may face in upstate NY is dealing with the Adirondack Park
Agency (APA) if you are considering buying within the Adirondack Park blue line. Google that if you want to get hot under the collar.

nicholas
# Posted: 6 Dec 2010 22:10

thanks for the info...Im looking in delaware county...

Gary O
# Posted: 7 Dec 2010 09:08

Quoting: bobrok
Folks who haven't been here usually have little idea that "upstate" is a far cry from NYC

I have heard that upstate is a lot like the Willamette valley here in Oregon. Lots of deciduous trees, rural roads, rolling hills, and more like new England states.
Back in the 70s we used to look at farms, ranches and acreages for sale thoughout the US in a monthly publication, and upstate NY looked quite attractive. Can't remember the name of that rag, but we loved the mental travel.

bobrok
# Posted: 8 Dec 2010 19:52

I sometimes get so cross with people I talk to around the country who have a pre-fixed idea that New York State = New York City.
Thank you for knowing the diff, Gary.

rayyy
# Posted: 25 Jan 2011 18:28

80% of new york state is rolling hills and country side and farm land.Far from big city life.It is beautiful here.we have the finger lakes,great lakes,letchworth and many other fine parks.The adirondaks,catskills,thousand islands,niagara falls,lake champlain.My list can go on and on!lol.

hilltop
# Posted: 25 Jan 2011 19:29

The view off the deck of my cabin in upstate , Sure does not look like NYC.
Upstate
Upstate

bobrok
# Posted: 25 Jan 2011 19:53

Quoting: hilltop
Sure does not look like NYC

Sure does look like my neck of the woods: Finger Lakes, huh?

Timberjack
# Posted: 26 Jan 2011 07:05

Although I've never been there, I think upstate NY is beautiful. Many of the turkey hunting publications I subscribe to have articles regarding the excellent opportunities for hunting in that area. We, in North America, are so lucky to have the opportunities that we have to travel and enjoy the scenery and serenity of our great country. If I ever get the time and money to do it I would like to take my family on a road trip through the northeast and on into Canada. One day it will happen!

bobrok
# Posted: 26 Jan 2011 12:56

Quoting: Timberjack
I would like to take my family on a road trip through the northeast and on into Canada

I have never been to the desert southwest, the west coast, or the Pacific northwest of this country and I've wanted to do this for a long, long time.

Classic case of grass is always greener syndrome! 8-P

Gary O
# Posted: 26 Jan 2011 15:32

Bob-
If you venture to the PNW (Pacific North Wet) bring your fishing gear and rain coat.
I've never been to upstate NY, or New England states, but would really love to. The pictorials I've seen, especially the fall months (my fave) are fantastic.
However, these days I hate to leave Oregon, or go anywhere that I can't get home before dark.........

hilltop
# Posted: 26 Jan 2011 19:19

bobrok - Yes , Finger Lakes
timberjack , I have lots of turkeys on my land , 40 years ago they were very sparse , now very common . I spotted a flock of about 25 in a field today in Western NY . 50 years ago the area had a lot of open farm land with pheasant & grouse very common , they have declined greatly , now much has gone back to forest and we have a llot of white tailed deer and a growing black bear population.

simon333
# Posted: 23 Mar 2011 06:06

Those pics are great.
Wife and I are getting ready to build in finger lakes area.
Same size too 16x16 with loft.
May I ask how much it was to drill your well, and how much the kit for your cabin was?

Okwind farmer
# Posted: 13 Feb 2012 21:31

Hello anouther newbee here.
I am 63 yrs old and I was born in upstate NY. Ithaca But now live in Ponca City Ok. I own land near Perry Ok about 45 minutes away. It has a 9 acre pond that I share with a neighbor. and apx 12 acres. 10 acres woods and 2 acres clear. Someday I want to build a cabin on it. Have some plans on paper. I worked construction most my life as a framer .Any thing form custom homes to nurseing homes all over the state of Florida. I am now working for the city's school system in maintenance.

bobrok
# Posted: 13 Feb 2012 22:11

Hi Okwind farmer & welcome! Your name could imply that you own/operate a wind farm. Or am I reaching too far here? :)

Okwind farmer
# Posted: 14 Feb 2012 18:47

no I don't own a wind ut I do own a airx 400 watt 24 volt . Not yet up will be when I get around to build my cabin.

Okwind farmer
# Posted: 14 Feb 2012 18:53

hilltop what lake is that in your pic. I worked at Cornell for 12 years and did a lot of test plots all over the state.

Anonymous
# Posted: 14 Feb 2012 18:57

Moontreeranch
Did you ever get your wrap around porch built? I'm hoping to get a wrap around deck built and would love to see pictures.

hilltop
# Posted: 14 Feb 2012 19:15

Okwind - Keuka

Okwind farmer
# Posted: 14 Feb 2012 20:57

hilltop
as a child I grew up on a farm just south of dundee. and I know that area real well.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 9 Mar 2016 17:25

I like the brown cabins with green roofs.

mossberg fan
# Posted: 11 Mar 2016 05:44

alot of upstate ny'ers here! my cabin is located in between Owasco lake and Skaneateles lake (cayuga county). we can build 144 sf without a permit. Keuka lake is a beautiful lake, too.
Quoting: Okwind farmer
I am 63 yrs old and I was born in upstate NY. Ithaca

Okwindfarmer, i'm up near Summerhill

hueyjazz
# Posted: 11 Mar 2016 11:54 - Edited by: hueyjazz

Also an Upstate resident and cabin owner in the same. My Grandfather and his brother came on the boat from England. One of my brother's was a Fulbright scholar and had a gig at Oxford, University. His wife didn't have much to do so she figure she would research the family tree.

Turns out our relatives haven't move ten feet from where they were left in England. When they learn we all lived in NY the first thing out of their mouth was "How do you deal with all of the murders?"
Wrong NY
I truly do embody the slogan, I Love NY. Just not NYC so much.
Nothing wrong with NYC but it isn't what I look for. I'm more at home in a woods, not a concrete jungle.
Granger, NY
IMG_0325.JPG
IMG_0325.JPG
IMG_0277.JPG
IMG_0277.JPG
IMG_0282.JPG
IMG_0282.JPG

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.