Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / New member
RedTailHawk
# Posted: 2 Dec 2012 11:18 - Edited by: RedTailHawk

I just became a cabin owner (2 weeks ago) in West Virginia. It's an old 1850's cabin that is in need of some maintenance. I've been reading through the forum and will soon be posting lots of questions.

Here's a pic of my cabin
1850's WV Cabin
1850's WV Cabin

Rob_O
# Posted: 2 Dec 2012 11:30

Neat little place you have there, let's see some more pics!

neb
# Posted: 2 Dec 2012 11:31

Welcome!!! WOW that is a great looking cabin!!

oldbuddy
# Posted: 2 Dec 2012 15:56

RedTailHawk
I love your cabin and haven't even seen the inside. It is beautiful! The fireplace is a nice touch also. What area are you in....in the Mountain State? I work in Wheeling. It's funny but your picture looks like you just "finished" your cabin.

Old Old Buddy

RedTailHawk
# Posted: 2 Dec 2012 16:07

Here's a picture of the "matching" detached garage. I say "matching" because it is actually from another property where the main house burned down, so the previous owner of my property went out and bought that garage, disassembled and rebuilt on this property.
detached garage
detached garage

RedTailHawk
# Posted: 2 Dec 2012 16:13

P.S. oldbuddy, my cabin is in Hampshire County. This is an area that George Washington surveyed when he was a teenager. I'm trying to research records to see if he surveyed my land.

TomChum
# Posted: 2 Dec 2012 18:23

Great to see care for old cabins and keeping them up.

RedTailHawk
# Posted: 2 Dec 2012 20:44

I'm currently interviewing several different log restoration and maintenance companies. I don't think it has been properly maintained since the "son" inherited the cabin from his father back in 1997.

There's a bit of damage from carpenter bees, termites and hungry woodpeckers. Also, a little wood rot. Once the damages are repaired, then the cleaning, staining and sealing of the logs, and sealing and painting the chinking.

Initial quotes are making it look like it'll be about $30k. An expensive endeavor, but I feel it's my duty as the current steward of a little piece of american history.

Anyone have tips on selecting a firm for this type of job?

Montanan
# Posted: 3 Dec 2012 11:23

Wow- what an amazing place! Welcome to the forum.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.