Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / first pics of our cabin
bukhntr
# Posted: 29 Dec 2012 23:49

well we finally have our cabin in after having the property for three years. I had planned on building it myself for the last two years but trying to find the time and manpower to do it quickly to limit exposure to weather just never seemed to be available, so much to my wifes encouragement (tired of me delaying) We hired out the construction of the shell so we can finish it at our own pace. Glad I did the labor spent was worth it to have something in place now. I would pass on you can have a nice cabin from a prebuilt cabin/shed if you find a company that will work with you to build it the way you want not cutting any corners after all you are the customer you should not have to settle. Other than the satisfaction of building it all yourself it turned out to be a great option for anyone living a distance from your property or not having the time. I'll post more as we work to finish it. Thanks for the many ideas I picked up from here
639.JPG
639.JPG
647.JPG
647.JPG
651.JPG
651.JPG
653.JPG
653.JPG

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 30 Dec 2012 00:30

Looks nice...hows it attached to the ground??

neb
# Posted: 30 Dec 2012 11:10

I like it alot and looks like a great spot for a cabin.

cabingal3
# Posted: 30 Dec 2012 13:19

bukhntr -great!wonderful cabin!

VTweekender
# Posted: 30 Dec 2012 14:38

Very nice! Like the looks a lot...nice porch too! What are the dimensions? What is the ballpark cost?

bukhntr
# Posted: 30 Dec 2012 22:34

Sustainusfarm
below the 2x6 floor joist frame there are 3 4x6 skids which are set on pier blocks made from cinder blocks. I saw where people were digging footings, but we don't have great frost heave here and the soil is pretty rocky. We just leveled the first cinder block of the pier shimmed the skids at each pier. It has been in place about 4 months can't see any settling yet. We can shim the skids as needed is the plan.

bukhntr
# Posted: 30 Dec 2012 22:38

The cabin is 12x28 with 7x14 porch hope to keep it under 8k by finishing all of the inside myself. The biggest single expense was the metal roof almost 1000, but longterm i think it will pay for itself

VTweekender
# Posted: 31 Dec 2012 10:06

Wow, thats going to be a great cabin for around 8k finished up!! Thanks for sharing!!

bukhntr
# Posted: 24 Jan 2013 21:29

the cabin is starting to take shape, it is nice to get some pieces in to see the full scale instead of on paper. It is a 12x28. It will have a double bed accross from the bunks. It is very addicting, spend one day there then start planning when we can return. Hopefully we can pick up some speed when the weather warms more consistant in a couple of months
030.JPG
030.JPG
031.JPG
031.JPG

Purplerules
# Posted: 24 Jan 2013 21:39

Great pics, Thanks. It looks like you are off to a great start. We went with a shell also. We have had it for 3 months so far and it is amazing how much we have done in such a short time. but you are right! after each visit we are planning when can we get back and what should we do next, or should I say what can we afford to do next. lol

Timberjack
# Posted: 25 Jan 2013 08:04

That looks really nice, 12x28 is a great size for a camp, love the porch too!

flyrdr
# Posted: 25 Jan 2013 12:17

Love that front porch swing!

Rick004
# Posted: 25 Jan 2013 12:41

What type of siding did you use , and how did it go up ?

bukhntr
# Posted: 27 Jan 2013 15:55

Quoting: Rick004
What type of siding did you use , and how did it go up ?

We used the smart panel siding. maybe called something different in your area. It is an osb base material with a primed 8" o/c exterior. I have this on a shed at our house I built 12 years ago and have had no problems with swelling or the exterior flaking off. It should be in the low $20 range per sheet. It saves time and money, it doubles as your sheathing and siding. If you are building yourself with it just side over your doors and windows. have your gables framed up without roof decking and you just trim openings and along your pitch with saws all, no precise measuring needed to be done

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.