Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / 12x16 storage shed in central WI
<< . 1 . 2 .
Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 11 Nov 2013 08:18

Nice...looking good! I like the wood on the walls!

LDamm
# Posted: 11 Nov 2013 10:35

Quoting: Sustainusfarm
I like the wood on the walls!

Thanks The saw mill went above and beyond for me. When I said I was looking for worm holes, blue stained wood, he said thats what he calls fire wood. But he had some big pine logs that had been sitting for 3 or 4 years that he would cut for me, no guarantees. He rough cut it, then kiln dried it, then recut the edges so I have very few gaps. I'm very happy with it. Then he planed, and tongue and grooved the same wood for the ceiling.

trollbridge
# Posted: 11 Nov 2013 10:57

The wood is beautiful!
Nice job

LDamm
# Posted: 1 Jul 2014 14:28

Got after the woodshed this spring. Built the walls with dried logs, but had to cut a peel fresh for the rafters. How can spring cut and peeled logs be slippery and sticky at the same time. Hope to put on the metal this weekend.
Walls up
Walls up
Knoches
Knoches
Almost done
Almost done
Frame for metal roof
Frame for metal roof

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 1 Jul 2014 17:45

Nothing saying you cant heat a storage shed. Keep your tools dry and dry out your rain gear. Nothing saying you cant have workbenches (AKA kitchen counter) and storage space (cabinets) and a parts washer tub (sink) and a liquid storage container (fridge) and large padded storage shelves in a smaller enclosed area (bunks)

LDamm
# Posted: 5 Jul 2014 08:51

I got the tin on yesterday. Now I need to build a shave horse and start some furniture.
back view
back view
a nice dry spot
a nice dry spot
getting moved in
getting moved in
future funiture
future funiture

LDamm
# Posted: 28 Jul 2014 07:06

I organized my log furniture wood in the woodshed this weekend. Also moved in the table saw. Started work on a tenon jig with mixed results. Need to find a blade with chainsaw teeth.
furniture wood
furniture wood
table saw
table saw
tenon jig
tenon jig
tenon jig 2
tenon jig 2

LDamm
# Posted: 28 Jul 2014 07:07 - Edited by: LDamm

Results
tenon
tenon

LDamm
# Posted: 28 Jul 2014 07:08

Also whipped up a few bird houses.
bird houses
bird houses

LDamm
# Posted: 28 Jul 2014 07:10

Can you see my shave horse in this picture? I'm looking for a broad axe to do a little hewing.
shave horse
shave horse

LDamm
# Posted: 28 Jul 2014 07:22 - Edited by: LDamm

A friend at work had a old radio by his bench. I commented that the real wood box would look great in my shed, and he gave it to me! 60's vintage solid state. And yes, that's a WiFi hotspot sitting on top.
radio
radio

TFlom
# Posted: 2 Nov 2014 08:47

We have the same Vogelzang for our 12 x 16 off grid in Ely MN but have not yet installed it. Are you able to regulate the temp with it in this small space?
Does it really burn 8 hrs while you sleep on your stored bed?
Terri

LDamm
# Posted: 3 Nov 2014 13:20

Quoting: TFlom
Are you able to regulate the temp with it in this small space?Does it really burn 8 hrs while you sleep on your stored bed?

Even shut down completely, I have my windows open most of the winter. It gets to T-shirt and shorts temp even when its 0 out. Doesn't bother me because I love fresh air. And its not because the stove can't be regulated, its just that the re-burn technology really throws some heat.

I have only been burning pine, so I can only get about 4 hours of burn out of it. I'm sure with oak it could be stretched closer to 8 hours.

LDamm
# Posted: 17 Apr 2015 11:02

More wood from the sawmill. A few shelves, some decorating, and the future kitchen counter.
P1040547.JPG
P1040547.JPG
P1040540.JPG
P1040540.JPG
P1040542.JPG
P1040542.JPG
P1040543.JPG
P1040543.JPG

LDamm
# Posted: 1 Jun 2015 10:37

I added some curtains this week.
P1040650.JPG
P1040650.JPG
P1040652.JPG
P1040652.JPG

LDamm
# Posted: 1 Jun 2015 10:42

The bad news is I got hit by a little F0 tornado last week. No damage to the sheds, but I lost some nice trees between the pond and the shed. I do have a better view of the pond now.
P1040592.JPG
P1040592.JPG
P1040594.JPG
P1040594.JPG
P1040599.JPG
P1040599.JPG

LDamm
# Posted: 21 Sep 2015 09:29

A little more decorating. Starting to add restored axes to the mix of 50's glassware and other vintage tools.
new/old ax and tools
new/old ax and tools
rock collection and books
rock collection and books
the peak
the peak
more glassware and what went in it
more glassware and what went in it

creeky
# Posted: 21 Sep 2015 11:59

looking good. I like that tenon jig.

i'm thinking on a run in for the tractor and place to move my table saw etc out of the rain. really enjoyed seeing your workshop.

timcook
# Posted: 21 Sep 2015 22:03

That sure is a nice stroage shed, i think you can now call it a cozy cabin

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 23 Sep 2015 01:26

You've done great work!!! Love the interior woodwork on the "storage shed." Looks like you've got quite a bit of room in a 12 X 16!

LDamm
# Posted: 23 Sep 2015 11:03

Quoting: Julie2Oregon
You've done great work!!! Love the interior woodwork on the "storage shed." Looks like you've got quite a bit of room in a 12 X 16!

Thanks all, Its a storage shed for now, but when the real cabin gets built, this will become my workshop/hideout/mancave/grandkid bunkie.

LDamm
# Posted: 29 Jul 2017 19:43

I'm back. Spent the last two years at Mayo Clinic getting my wife thru Leukemia and a bone marrow transplant and brain infection. After two years of 24/7 caregiving, she's doing good enough to ask me, "Don't you have some work to do at the shed?"

Back to work!

Needless to say, I had a few empty bourbon bottles to add to the décor.
bourbon decor
bourbon decor

LDamm
# Posted: 29 Jul 2017 19:47

And a few more old tools were gifted to me by thoughtful friends.
tools
tools

LDamm
# Posted: 29 Jul 2017 19:56 - Edited by: LDamm

The sawmill down the road cut up the oak I lost in the tornado, so I was running out of room in the woodshed.
Time to add on. Some of my big pine had died so I wanted to use them before the bugs got them. A little log post and beam for something different.
oak bord drying
oak bord drying
post and beam
post and beam
ready for metal
ready for metal
P1050048.JPG
P1050048.JPG

LDamm
# Posted: 29 Jul 2017 20:05

Filled in between the posts with some rough sawn pine lap siding and some restore windows. Built some sliding doors with the same wood.
pine wall
pine wall
inside
inside
sliding doors
sliding doors
sliding doors inside
sliding doors inside

KabinKat
# Posted: 30 Jul 2017 14:49

Wonderful!

That is LDamn Nice!!!

Nate R
# Posted: 30 Jul 2017 22:01

Good to see you back! Hadn't seen this thread before!

How much land is this on? Any idea how old your red pine is?

I have 4 acres of red pine about 60 years old in Marinette County. Just finished having it thinned this month.

LDamm
# Posted: 31 Jul 2017 12:51

Quoting: Nate R
How much land is this on? Any idea how old your red pine is?

Its 3 acres on an 8 acre pond. Don't know how old they are, but there's some 14" to 16"ers in there.

Champ7ac
# Posted: 1 Aug 2017 21:15

Where are you located? We have a cabin in Adams Cty.

LDamm
# Posted: 2 Aug 2017 07:14

Quoting: Champ7ac
Where are you located? We have a cabin in Adams Cty.

SW Waupaca county. Just south of Waupaca. I can hike the Ice Age Trail up into Hartman Creek State Park.

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.