Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / About my small cabin near Moscow, Russia.
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . >>
old old buddy
# Posted: 23 Oct 2013 19:08

a_pyrkin
Andrey- Good to see you on the forum...posting pictures once again. I hope your dog is doing better with time.

Not much going on at the cabin. Still never got the dang thing painted completely but I'm not worrying about it. It's all treated 3/4" plywood....it would last for decades without any paint.

We did some shooting at the cabin with .40 caliber (10mm) pistols. Russ, my cousin and a good friend went with me. We shot up about 300 rounds and had a ball.

I hope you are able to travel to your cabin this winter easier than last year.

Old Old Buddy

a_pyrkin
# Posted: 1 Nov 2013 09:25

Old Old Buddy
How are You Gary? I read that You spent a good time when visited Your cabin. I like active rest. My lab can travel with me now. I plan visit my cabin this weekend

old old buddy
# Posted: 1 Nov 2013 21:24

a_pyrkin
Good to hear from you. I'd like to go up tomorrow afternoon. I have to babysit Russ' two children in the morning. Maybe Tina and I will go up in the afternoon...we'll see.

Have you had any snow yet? When will it normally start this winter? We had snow flakes last week but they were tiny and only lasted about five minutes.

I hope your dog is feeling a lot better.

Old Old Buddy

a_pyrkin
# Posted: 21 Dec 2013 00:49

Hi!
Finally I managed to get to the cabin. My wife, my dog and me spent last weekend there.
It was 23F daytime and about 10F at night. And finally snow fell. We spent nice weekend
Cabin in snow
Cabin in snow
In snow
In snow
Driveway
Driveway

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 21 Dec 2013 07:00 - Edited by: OwenChristensen

Every picture looks like it could have been here in Minnesota, although we are having a bit more of winter than normal. It is sure nice to here from you. As I was growing up, all the pictures from there were shown in black and white so make it look bleak. Do people have snowmobiles there?

Owen

a_pyrkin
# Posted: 21 Dec 2013 12:59

OwenChristensen
Some people have snowmobiles. But i use ski. But it is very rarely in recent years

Andrey

a_pyrkin
# Posted: 22 Dec 2013 07:33

It's my first attempt to make video from my video registrator.
URL

old old buddy
# Posted: 22 Dec 2013 09:43

a_pyrkin
Hi Andrey.....I watched your video without a problem. How deep was the snow? As slow as you were going I'm sure it was deep. Most of the road you were driving on appeared to have been built up to a higher elevation than the fields on either side of the road. Am I correct or does it just appear that way?

The biggest snowfall we have had has only been around 3"

The next time you make a video please show the cabin on the outside and inside. I really enjoyed seeing the video.

Old Old Buddy

Clay N Feathers
# Posted: 22 Dec 2013 14:04

I just finished reading all these posts. Very interesting as I live in Alaska and find a lot in common with a-prykin and my cabin. Temperatures, snow in general. Hope to go to mine in a couple weeks. Located 180 miles south of Anchorage.

Clay N Feathers
# Posted: 22 Dec 2013 14:07

One question I do have is are there any fish in the stream by your cabin? Also, wild small and large game.

a_pyrkin
# Posted: 24 Dec 2013 23:53

old old buddy
Clay N Feathers
Indeed, the road is located above the surrounding fields. Once the mound was made, then abandoned, and is now used like me. When I turned to my cabin, I had to go through the snow thickness of 10-15 inches. I did not have time to install new tires on the car and was a little uncomfortable ride Hope to visit my cabin this weekend with new tires, but snow strongly melted. Hope my next experiments with the video will be more successful And, unfortunately, the nearest fishing spot is a few miles from the cabin

a_pyrkin
# Posted: 25 Dec 2013 06:20

And one small video near my cabin.
URL

Salty Craig
# Posted: 25 Dec 2013 19:16

a_pyrkin
I like the tunes with your video. For a minute I found myself riding along. "We are the champions" classic!! Merry Christmas

Salty Craig

a_pyrkin
# Posted: 26 Dec 2013 09:21

Salty Craig
And me like it. It's one of my favorite compositions
Merry Christmas

old old buddy
# Posted: 28 Dec 2013 19:26

a_pyrkin
I was able to watch your first video but not the last one. I have a minor virus on my computer and it won't allow me to download your video.

I plan to go to the cabin tomorrow for the day as long as it doesn't rain. It's suppose to rain but I hope not. I just love going up and having a nice cup of coffee from my propane powered perculator

My wife bought me a small generator for Christmas, to use (mostly for lighting) since it's only 1800 max wattage and 1400 running wattage. It's almost exactly 1/2 the size and weight of the 4000 watt unit. It weighs 55 pounds compared to 110 pounds. It's little enough to strap to the four wheeler real easy.

I haven't even uncrated it yet but for anyone that is interested...it's a Champion Model, purchased at Tractor Supply locally and costs $200. It will run for 10 hours on 1.5 gallons of gas. I could swear by these generators. I've been using the 4000 watt unit for three years now and it starts "1st time-every time." It costs $299.00 so I guess it's the better buy but the little one is so handy and is a lot easier on fuel. The big one is 196cc and the small one is 80cc.

Anyway.....I hope it doesn't rain tomorrow! Old Old Buddy

a_pyrkin
# Posted: 30 Dec 2013 02:42

Hi!
Have trip to Your cabin this last weekend? You have good new generator. And it's very inexpensive for Russia. I think that 1400 running wattage is more than enough for lighting. What type of lamps You use for lighting? I set the LED lamps in my cabin and are very pleased with them. Snow melted away almost completely.
Now we have New Year's holidays up to Jan 9 and i hope to visit my cabin at beginning of Jan.
What type of antivirus program You use? My McAfee internet security quite effectively protects my laptop.

old old buddy
# Posted: 30 Dec 2013 06:57

a_pyrkin
Good Morning Andrey-
We use regular "screw-in" 110 volt light bulbs. Most of them (3 or 4) are 100 watt. One is only 40 watts so I'm only using a maximum of 440 watts peak while they are all on. That includes a dusk-to-dawn light outside.

My anit-virus program is Micro-soft Essentials and Norton Anti-virus. I believe the only reason I get viruses is because I keep forgetting to update according to the tech that works on my computer

I recently purchased a 500GB external hard-drive that I'm going to download all my stored information onto. The tech advised that he would come in and clean the computer out and reinstall everything to get rid of the virus. Believe it or not.....we have over 73 Gigs of photos!

I did not get to the cabin this past week-end. Naturally, it rained all day long as predicted. It would have been a muddy mess but the four-wheeer would have walked right up it. I just didn't feel like getting soaked in a cold steady drizzle (rain).

Have a great New Year my friend!

Old Old Buddy

Clay N Feathers
# Posted: 31 Dec 2013 03:23

Years ago, around 1985 I purchased a Honda 500 watt generator. I used it at the cabin for about 10 years until I was able to get regular power service. I now use it at my house for emergency power. It will run the heat pump, fridge and two lights. House wiring is set up to safely use it.

a_pyrkin
# Posted: 31 Dec 2013 13:32

Clay N Feathers
I'm very surprised with such reliability Never heard anything like about generators, sold in Russia. Good luck

a_pyrkin
# Posted: 31 Dec 2013 13:38

old old buddy
Hi, Gary!
The power of generator is quite enough for such lamps. And not only lamps... And he has to work long enough. I know very little about Microsoft Essentials, but Norton Anti-virus is quite an effective tool to protect your computer. There's settings, you can specify the most detailed scan of your computer. Then it should cure Your computer.
Have a nice trip to the Your cabin this weekend! I plan to visit my cabin up to weekend. We have vacations now.
Happy New Year
Happy New Year!!!
Happy New Year!!!

leonk
# Posted: 1 Jan 2014 15:44

Happy NY!!!
С Новым Годом!

Dekagoldwingers
# Posted: 8 Jan 2014 21:55

Love the pictures. We live in northern BC but our place is in south central BC near 100 mild house. The snow conditions look familiar. We don't go there in winter, because it's too cold and 15 hours drive from here. Great to be connected to brothers around the world

a_pyrkin
# Posted: 11 Jan 2014 01:50

I'm pleased to see this

ErinsMom
# Posted: 12 Jan 2014 17:48

We need to have a serious talk about your taste in county music! I live in Northeast Tennessee, a few miles from the home of the Carter Family. My family have played bluegrass music for many years. I will have to find you a replacement for "if it ain't broke don't fix it". LOL. However, I am happy to see how your vehicle goes in the snow! Very impressive.

bldginsp
# Posted: 12 Jan 2014 21:23

Tell us a bit about the history of the land around your cabin, Andrei. Is this where Kutuzov stood against Napoleon, before the French Impostor made his way to the holy city of Moskva? Is this where Tolstoy's Nikolai Rostov made his valiant charge, forcing back a strong line of French with his light horse just in time to prevent them taking a critical position in the battle? Is this where Prince Andrei Bolkonsky met his fate while staring at a smoldering grenade, contemplating his precious kitten-like Natasha and the meaninglessness of his existence?

We don't have quite as much history in our woods, though we have enough to tell of. But tell me- what do you know of your vicinity around Moscow?

old old buddy
# Posted: 2 Feb 2014 08:05

a_pyrkin
Andrey-
Are you still on the forum? I haven't heard from you for quite awhile. Have you been to the cabin lately? We had a two week stretch of very cold weather (-18 to about 25 degrees F).

It was in the 40's and 50's in Alaska at the same time???

Yesterday it was nearly 50 degrees F. so I washed my wife's car and my truck. It's raining a heavy drizzle presently (8:00 AM).

Russ, Tristin and I went to the cabin this past Wednesday. It was about 2 degrees F. but we had a great time.

Take a few minutes and let me hear from you.

Old Old Buddy

a_pyrkin
# Posted: 4 Feb 2014 06:40

old old buddy
Hi, Gary! I am glad to see You here! I'm cannot leave such wonderful forum Just I had a lot to do other things, have not been in my cabin. We had quite severe frosts during the past two weeks. Up to -31 degree F at night And i not visited my cabin since december. My dream is to go there next weekend. Hope that will not be so cold.
2 degrees F... Not warm... How does your stove?
Have You problem with email? I wrote You few times...
ErinsMom
What about music? I would love to discuss it with you
bldginsp
The area around my cabin especially unremarkable. It is located near the town of Dmitrov, north of Moscow. Kutuzov stood against Napoleon in 1812 at Borodino, this is about 65 miles to West from Moscow.

bldginsp
# Posted: 4 Feb 2014 12:21

The area around your cabin may be historically unremarkable, but you have made it remarkable with your cabin. In Russian it's called a dacha, right?

As you may have heard there is exceptionally cold weather here in the US this year, east of the Rockies. Is your winter this year normal, or exceptionally cold or warm, overall?

old old buddy
# Posted: 4 Feb 2014 15:57

Andrey-
I have not had problems receiving e-mails that I can recall. Sometimes I can't open certain e-mails but I usually always receive them I believe.
Looking forward to hearing from you Gary (OOB)

a_pyrkin
# Posted: 14 Feb 2014 08:01

Last weekend my wife, my dog and me spent in our cabin. The weather was somewhat unusual for mid-February. About 23 degrees F at night and up to 40 degrees F daily And snow began to melt. I wanted to test my new tires but snow was about 3-5 inch. As a result, i drove almost like asphalt We spent a good weekend. It was my first weekend in cabin since the middle of December.
IMG_20140209_133628..jpg
IMG_20140209_133628..jpg
IMG_20140209_133643..jpg
IMG_20140209_133643..jpg
IMG_20140209_134535..jpg
IMG_20140209_134535..jpg

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.