Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Our 12x16 Canadian Cabin in the Rockies
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
leonk
# Posted: 9 Jul 2013 22:46

I think the 'proper' way is to vent, if I understand the question.
'Cold' roof is better in your climate. There were posts on this site about it.

Oilerfan
# Posted: 22 Jul 2013 17:47

One more weekend complete on the cabin. Managed to get the roof sheeting on and frame 3/4 of the 2 side walls. Its starting to feel like a cabin. With the roof on at least i can breathe a little eaiser on the flooring not getting wet. Laid a couple sheets of poly on the roofing to keep most of the rain off the next couple of weeks until I am back.

The only problem I ran into this weekend was heat. 30C with no sun makes roofing tough. We only worked until 330pm on Saturday and decided to go down to the river for a quick dip. Collected some rocks for the wood stove surround.

Next weekend I plan to finish off the metal roofing, frame/sheet the side walls and maybe install door/windows.

Oilerfan
# Posted: 22 Jul 2013 18:04

cabin photos with roof sheeting on.
cabin
cabin
cabin
cabin
cabin
cabin

Redneck7
# Posted: 1 Aug 2013 10:53

That's a nice looking cabin you built there. How tall is the high wall and the short wall? I might of missed it if you already said.

Oilerfan
# Posted: 2 Aug 2013 09:54

Doesn't feel like a cabin yet! Doors and windows this weekend...then maybe I can feel like we have a home away from home.

High wall is a towering 12ft. Short wall is 8ft. I would have liked 10ft or 11ft for the tall wall but it doesn't give you much headroom for a loft. In the end I think it will look good but 12ft is tall!

Redneck7
# Posted: 3 Aug 2013 11:53 - Edited by: Redneck7

What size is the loft going to be then. Your right about the lack of head room for it but won't you loose your main floor headroom a bit?

Oilerfan
# Posted: 6 Aug 2013 13:38

Another productive weekend. I am closed in and the windows and doors are done!! What a good feeling. Progress feels oh so good.

I was extremely happy all the rough openings were good. I was a tad bit anxious that maybe i measured wrong or something. The large windows look amazing and i can't wait to sit by the fire with a coffee and stare out towards the mountains.

We also built a tent pad out of left over lumber. Our lot has a good slope to it (and hand digging with the mountain soils isn't fun) so the tent pad will come in handy. Guests will be much happier!

Next need to figure out the wood stove design, decide on exterior and interior siding...the list goes on right!!!
cabin
cabin
cabin
cabin
cabin
cabin
tent pad
tent pad

Truecabin
# Posted: 6 Aug 2013 14:03 - Edited by: Truecabin

cool cabin nice views too

yes venting roof is proper. you dont want moisture buildup in there, warm air can hold a lot of water and it can condense on the backside of cold metal and run down and collect

make sure you have a moisture barrier to prevent inside moist air from getting into the roof cavities you dont want any warm moist air to get to a cold surface because it will condense on that cold surface and run down. and you want a vent so what little does get in there can get out.

Oilerfan
# Posted: 6 Aug 2013 14:12

Yep planning to vent and will have a moisture barrier. Understand the science behind it but thought i might be able to get away without it if i am only a weekend'er!!

Oilerfan
# Posted: 12 Aug 2013 12:25

Installed the door knob and deadbolt...then headed to the lake with the little guy. 30C is too hot for this Canadian boy! The little guy loved the water.

Sunday morning I tackled the metal roofing which is a relief to finally have on. WE ARE OFFICIALLY CLOSED IN!!!

Electrical, stairs, and loft next weekend.
Golden_009.JPG
Golden_009.JPG

Oilerfan
# Posted: 26 Aug 2013 12:09

Opted to do laminate this weekend due to the weather. Electrical, wood stove and interior next weekend. The end is getting closer!!!

The laminate was super easy to install. Did it myself without any instruction. I was happy with the final product.

Even got out for a hike this weekend. 5km with 550m elev gain and the little guy on my back made for a bit of a grunt but it was a nice alpine lake with a few little fish.

Excited to install my Morso 1410 next weekend. I have it all unpacked and can't wait to fire it up. With only 200sqft I have to go with the stove. Love the clear requirements with this guy. Rear and bottom heat shield make it perfect for a small cabin.

Oilerfan
# Posted: 26 Aug 2013 12:12

My little helper always wants to take breaks!!
lil helper
lil helper
two favorites
two favorites

Oilerfan
# Posted: 9 Sep 2013 18:55

Well had a week at the cabin and made some good progress. Not enough but what can you do when you have a 1 year old and you are doing most of the work yourself

wood stove - done (including tiling for hearth plate)
interior electrical - done (need to wire the panel)
insulation (walls) - done (need to do ceiling)
interior panelling - 1/2 done

Wood stove install went well. I love the look of the little Morso. It was too hot to fire it but maybe this weekend. Sealing the flashing was a bit of a challenge but we had a good rain storm and I could find any leaks.

Went with 1/2" finished birch panelling. Really like the look of it. I am not really a rustic cabin kinda guy. The light finish really brightens up the cabin.

This weekend going to go back and hopefully finish the insulating and panelling. Then the interior is pretty much ready to move in. Would just need to do trim and build frame for countertop. Both non essential for an official move in.

For the exterior I still have to build a set of stairs, install siding, and finish off the fascia boards.
wood stove
wood stove
loft
loft
wood stove
wood stove

JMH
# Posted: 10 Sep 2013 13:38

Hey Oiler fan. We are also Calgary based Oiler fans with a small off-grid cabin near Golden. Are you in the Blaeberry area?

countrygirl
# Posted: 17 Sep 2013 10:23

wow you have gotten a lot of work done. It will look nice warm nest when the snow comes.

Oilerfan
# Posted: 18 Sep 2013 10:54

Thanks countrygirl. It has been a ton of work but it is finally coming together. Finishing takes so much time and I just want it done already!!!

PS - sorry to hear about the troubles with your kid. Our first was a "28 weeker" preemie. 71 days in the NICU and really we have only really been able to relax the last couple months or so...born a year and a half ago. #2 is on its way...wife is 18 weeks along. Hoping this one stays in a little longer!

Oilerfan
# Posted: 18 Sep 2013 10:59

Well getting close to finishing up the major items for the interior.

Paneling done up to 8ft around the entire perimeter. Insulation finally DONE! Man I hate insulating.
finishing_013.JPG
finishing_013.JPG
finishing_009.JPG
finishing_009.JPG
finishing_014.JPG
finishing_014.JPG
finishing_015.JPG
finishing_015.JPG

SandyR
# Posted: 27 Sep 2013 21:31

It looks beautiful! You must be so excited.

Oilerfan
# Posted: 28 Sep 2013 11:42

We have a 1 year old and another coming in Feb so not too sure how much I am going to get to use it this winter but we will see. It did turn out better than I expected based on my beginner skill level.

bad dancer
# Posted: 17 Oct 2013 22:32

I am going to buy the morso 1410 this week for my cabin. Have you used your yet ?

Mine is 11x14. Dont ask why ? Could be overkill in a climate that rarely gets much below zero.

My roof is not insulated but the wall are.

Will be putting in 2 skylights that open.

Oilerfan
# Posted: 18 Oct 2013 10:15

We haven't used the morso yet. This fall was so warm we didn't need it. Hoping to get out to the cabin in the next couple of weeks so we will be burning wood soon. I will let you know how it goes.

With the roof not insulated, you will have lots of heat loss...maybe enough that you don't have a sweat lodge. How many sqft do you have? I only have 192sqft so not gonna take much of a fire for our little shack.

Oilerfan
# Posted: 3 Mar 2014 18:35

Well we haven't made it out to the cabin this winter but did welcome another son to our family so I guess we will take it Much too busy to take the boys to our off the grid oasis.

I am already getting spring fever. Maybe the -40C we had this weekend has accelerated the process!! I wonder how many others are feeling the same way??

Just
# Posted: 3 Mar 2014 18:52

conrtats on the new one ,, he will have a great place to grow !

hattie
# Posted: 3 Mar 2014 20:09

Congratulation on your new addition to the family Oilerfan!!

Your cabin is looking really great!

metoo
# Posted: 4 Mar 2014 06:47

looking forward to more pic's.
congrats on #2

Oilerfan
# Posted: 28 Oct 2014 12:43

Well I am not sure where the summer went but i only managed a few trips this summer to the cabin. Enough to get a few more things done and maybe 5mins of free time outside of the endless job list still remaining. At least this winter we will have the wood stove going.

Deck - complete
Roof - complete
Stove - complete
Interior panelling 50% complete

Still need siding, solar, trip, counter/shelves, trim...but getting there.
Misc_Oct_28_14_091.J.jpg
Misc_Oct_28_14_091.J.jpg
Misc_Oct_28_14_044.J.jpg
Misc_Oct_28_14_044.J.jpg
Misc_Oct_28_14_043.J.jpg
Misc_Oct_28_14_043.J.jpg
Misc_Aug_14_274.JPG
Misc_Aug_14_274.JPG

ColdFlame
# Posted: 28 Oct 2014 15:38

Quoting: Oilerfan
The site is just outside of Golden, BC. I currently live in Calgary.

The price was $67K for 1.5arces. Previous buyer paid $140K in 2008 before the market fell out.

Beautiful place - nice to also see a fellow Calgarian on here. The Golden area is stunning - I pass by a few trips a year on my way to a friends cabin that is located between Revelstoke and Sicamous.

Oilerfan
# Posted: 3 Nov 2014 12:57

Final weekend at the cabin before the snow really flies. Installed the chimney pipe support and cleaned up my construction junk! Cabin is ready for winter habitation.
South View
South View
Chimney Support
Chimney Support
Interior
Interior
Mountain View
Mountain View

Sarg68
# Posted: 3 Nov 2014 13:08

one hell of a view

Sparkes
# Posted: 17 Nov 2017 12:40

Hey OilersFan, What are the exterior dementionsof the full frame?. i assume the cabin itself is 12x16?

Thanks

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.