Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / 16x24' northern New York cabin
. 1 . 2 . >>
Swamphunter
# Posted: 13 May 2013 20:32

Well after 2 years of planning, saving and waiting, today is the first day of the actual cabin build. It is underway! Got started late today due to work but the forms were set in place and squared up. Going back out Wednesday to stake the forms, level them and add the rebar to get ready to pour the pad maybe thursday or friday. This cabin is being built by a friend of mine and myself... maybe a little help along the way, but is also being done with working around regular jobs and family lives with kids, and sports activities, so dont expect daily updates because there is just no way it can happen that fast...
Anyway, here is where it ended tonight....
Cabin pad forms in place
Cabin pad forms in place

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 13 May 2013 20:55

Nice, sounds like you're having fun.

ShabinNo5
# Posted: 14 May 2013 07:01

Swamphunter,

We are starting summer #4 on the Shabin. Enjoy the journy.

We are hoping to complete the exterior (at least the sections that were on the original plan) this summer. The great part of a slow build is that you get to understand the space and can make limited improvements. This is also a bad thing. Our building originally was limited to one window and two sleeping platforms (small lofts on each end of the building). We now have seven windows, the loft changed three times and finally emerged as 10 X 12, part of the deck was repurposed as a 6 X 9 washroom, added a crawl space.... All great adjustments, however if they had been in the original plan the building process would have been a bit faster

KSalzwedel
# Posted: 14 May 2013 12:28

Just keep at it when you can. We wait for updates that include pictures ;)

Swamphunter
# Posted: 14 May 2013 19:05

Went out tonight and leveled the forms. Rebar going in then hopefully pour the concrete thursday or friday! Cant wait to start using a hammer....
Forms staked and leveled
Forms staked and leveled

KSalzwedel
# Posted: 19 Jun 2013 23:54

Looks good. Keep us updated.

Swamphunter
# Posted: 14 Jul 2013 08:34

Been awhile since I've posted, but since Im doing this cabin build with a buddy,m when Im not at work, my time spent away from work as at the cabin, not at a computer... lol

Swamphunter
# Posted: 14 Jul 2013 08:35

Here is the foundation poured
Cement poured
Cement poured

Swamphunter
# Posted: 14 Jul 2013 09:07

Here are a few pics of the progress we made the first week.. dealt with a lot of rain....
Lumber delivery
Lumber delivery
Fast forward two days
Fast forward two days
Fourth day
Fourth day
My son nailing down loft flooring
My son nailing down loft flooring

Swamphunter
# Posted: 14 Jul 2013 09:12

Here is where we are currently... ridge vent going on tomorrow. Still waiting for the two front windows that were special ordered... scheduled delivery for the 19th.... still have to frame the porch.
Back at it after a week of no work due to rain...
Back at it after a week of no work due to rain...
Metal almost complete
Metal almost complete
Ridge vent left to do
Ridge vent left to do

Swamphunter
# Posted: 14 Jul 2013 09:15

Our goal is to have any visible interior wood be rough sawn pine or cedar (for the exterior porch decking). This includes the loft framing. The framing is pressure treated and the walls and rafters are regular dimensional lumber.

Swamphunter
# Posted: 14 Jul 2013 09:18 - Edited by: Swamphunter

Here is the door being painted by my buddy.... it is my $100 Home Depot sale door.... that had small dents in it... that Home Depot credited me $85 for.... so I paid $15 for a 36" steel entry door and bought my buddy a 12 pack of beer to fix the dents and paint it for me.....
photo_5.PNG
photo_5.PNG

Swamphunter
# Posted: 14 Jul 2013 10:13 - Edited by: Swamphunter

Forgot.. my view of the loft photo.. here it is.. loft is framed with 2x12 rough sawn pine and covered with 1x8 rough sawn pine flooring
View of loft
View of loft

Purplerules
# Posted: 14 Jul 2013 22:41

Nice build! I love it when you find deals like that green door.
Keep having fun....

bobrok
# Posted: 17 Jul 2013 22:49

Ditto on the deals! I just took apart a guy's pool deck and repurposed all the PT lumber for cheap! As a bonus I kept and will reuse all the joist hangars and the nails for an upcoming cabin project. I love recycling!

Swamphunter
# Posted: 19 Jul 2013 07:05

If the weather holds, we will be framing the porch on Saturday.... I purchased rough sawn cedar from the local Amish to use as the decking....

jrbarnard
# Posted: 19 Jul 2013 10:35

Beautiful. Keep them coming. Love seeing the progress.

ONLY suggestion...

More pictures ;)

lol

Russ

Swamphunter
# Posted: 20 Jul 2013 07:05

I'll try and get some pics from my buddy today if he gets the porch framed... he has to install the two special order windows that came in yesterday and then put the ridge vent and the ridge cap on before starting on porch.... Im at work today so unfortunately, he's on his own today...

Swamphunter
# Posted: 20 Jul 2013 07:27

This is where it buttoned up a few days ago... I've since put up the styrofoam roof ventilation baffles....

Will finish boxing in and ventilating the overhangs when I can be out there to give him a hand
Cabin roof
Cabin roof
Roof from the side
Roof from the side

jrbarnard
# Posted: 20 Jul 2013 08:06

Very cool. Nothing says relaxing like a nice porch. Remember the rules of 3 when doing a porch:

3 feet for the table
3 feet for chair (per side!)
3 feet to back it up (the chair)
3 feet for buffer.

That is why my porches are always 15 ft deep ;)

Russ

Swamphunter
# Posted: 20 Jul 2013 08:54

Thanks Russ.. but porch will only be 6' out from cabin and 16' wide... due to the type of roof and pitch.

jrbarnard
# Posted: 20 Jul 2013 09:03

That's ok, ya still met the rule.. 3 ft for the chairs and 3 ft to go around! ;) Set the table between and ya have pahlenty of space ;)

I remember being at this guy's house and he had this beautiful porch that was so comfortable, but he did not plan it right and wanted a table that people could sit around. Every time you needed to go around someone, you had to step off the porch to do it, which (to me) defeated the purpose of the porch.. heh

But, a porch (again to me) is an extension of the kitchen, whether you cook on it, or stand on it to chat about cooking ;) (ever notice how, when cooking, so much time is spent chatting?)...

I bet that porch is going to be awesome on that cabin.

Cannot wait to see it.

Russ

p.s. I am very passionate about porches ;)

You should see my wife roll her eyes when I start talking about them.. heh

Swamphunter
# Posted: 20 Jul 2013 09:26 - Edited by: Swamphunter

This is the style of cabin we are going for, only not as wide.. I believe this is 20' wide as it sits.. we are 16' wide. Porch roof will be attached to the cabin at a higher point than this one is though due to snow load here in northern NY.

My apologies to whom ever owns this cabin that I'm posting a pic of,,, if you want it down, I'll remove it... not sure where I found the pic, but loved the style of cabin....
CabinChristmassnow.jpg
CabinChristmassnow.jpg

Swamphunter
# Posted: 27 Jul 2013 10:30 - Edited by: Swamphunter

Here is where we are after a day of framing for the porch. I also did the rest of the roof insulation and then cleaned up all the saw dust and garbage both inside and out... this picture was taken before I accomplished the exterior cleaning.... Im kind of a neat freak and hate a messy build site. I burn off the scrap cut-offs that are too small for use and haul off whatever I can't burn. It doesnt appear it here when you look at the door, however the head room where you'd step off the porch onto the stairs is 6'7", as my brother is 6'5 and I wanted to have clearance for him....
07-26-13
07-26-13

Swamphunter
# Posted: 31 Jul 2013 18:49 - Edited by: Swamphunter

Update on progress.. I insulated the front gable, the ridge vent and ridge cap in place and also the porch roof is on. Started on the siding and ended there for the night.....
07-31-13 siding started
07-31-13 siding started

Swamphunter
# Posted: 8 Aug 2013 21:19 - Edited by: Swamphunter

Waiting for the rest of the siding from the Amish man that is cutting the board and battens. Also the cedar for the decking. His sawmill broke down and although I couldn't work on cabin, I spent the time looking for a wood stove. I picked up this nice Vermont Castings model Aspen and it is in excellent condition. I brought it home, took it apart, cleaned it and replaced two gaskets that were bad. Good as new. Had it inspected at the same time and its ready for install!
image.jpg
image.jpg

Swamphunter
# Posted: 8 Aug 2013 21:26

Also made use of the down time by picking up this lil' beauty. It's my new 2013 GMC Sierra.

Makes hauling the wood stove and all my tools back and forth much easier than my Jeep did.
2013 GMC Sierra
2013 GMC Sierra

Swamphunter
# Posted: 8 Aug 2013 21:30

Used up what boards we had cut. This is where we ran out
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Swamphunter
# Posted: 20 Aug 2013 11:57 - Edited by: Swamphunter

We did some more boards, added some batten and boxed in the soffit.... also cased in the windows and door, installed the door knob and the dead bolt... these pics dont show it, but the boards over the porch on the front gable are on too along with most of the soffit.... I am installing soffit venting my next day off work....
Battens and soffit
Battens and soffit
Door casing
Door casing
Window casing
Window casing
photo_4a4.JPG
photo_4a4.JPG

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 20 Aug 2013 15:32

looking good. I'm also building a 12/12 pitch roof with board and batten.

O

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.