Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / floating dock
bukhntr
# Posted: 20 Jun 2013 21:45

wanting to add a floating dock next spring. Thinking of using 50 gal plastic drums below to float the dock. About 8x12 dock with 4x10 walkway. Has anyone done anything like this?

BCcabin
# Posted: 21 Jun 2013 03:32

I did basically this exact thing last year at the lake.

I did however opt for 35 gallon plastic drums so the dock sits a little lower in the water.. Easier to get in and out of the fishing boat that way, also easier for the kids to climb up on

If you use the 50 gallon drums you may want to fill each one with as much water as desired to give it a more stable feeling before sealing them up.

I used this as a guide and tweaked it a bit to be more suitable:
URL

Started off trying to use my own methods of connections but ended up buying the connection between the dock and the ramp from home Depot. They have a lot of different connectors/stabilizers that in the long run I found just easier to set up.
I'll post a pic of our dock tomorrow as we're up at the lake as we speak

One of the more rewarding projects at the cabin so far... Besides the entire gutting and reno of our 14x20

Cheers

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 21 Jun 2013 07:19

It can be done, but BCcabin is right about building the actual dock as solid as you can. I used parts from both:
- http://americanmuscledocks.com/
- http://www.overtons.com/

Follansbeedocks kicked overtons prices on half the stuff saving me a ton of money.

Depending how big your dock is you might find it a lot easier to just buy the dock floats. They have a flange to secure it to the dock and can be purchased in the exact size you need. You may spend $300 but you will be done in less time and won't have to worry as much about longevity. No I don't work for them...just from experience with rising water and harsh weather and seeing other peoples things floating in the lake.

Either way would work.

pondjumpr
# Posted: 21 Jun 2013 11:35

I built one about 10'x10' on my pond at my house about 10 years ago. I used 6 white plastic barrels (maybe 50 gallon). I paid $6 per barrel and they were previously used for soap so cleaning them out was a breeze. I used some plastic strapping (for plumbing I suspect) and strapped them off to the joists. Mince has done well for for many years. I filled the plug with silicone and have had no leaks at all. I also ran about 8 ft of a runner and addes a large hinge between the runner and the dock. I think this is essential. You could make one like I have out of rod and pipe with a little welding for a mounting plate.

However, I will say that if I build another one, I will use flotation that is actually made for docks. I have seen a little warping on my dock from the pressure of the barrell trying to push out joists. Again, mine has lasted over 10 years but square mounting options for the floats are likely much easier on the structure than the round barrels.

Remember that you will likely have to build part of the framing on the dry land, attach the floats (barrels) and then flip it on the water. Then you can run the decking on the dock. Even without the decking it will be HEAVY!

Good luck. Mine has served me well and I am certainly no expert when it comes to dock building.

razmichael
# Posted: 21 Jun 2013 13:16

I decided to stretch the budget and use dock float as mentioned. I did two 4x12 sections first and used a couple of poles slipped through a holder loosely at the end to stabilize things. Our water level can change by a foot or 2 overnight. Using dock hardware for all the wood gets expensive but makes things solid.
Next stage was to insert a raft in the middle. Here I bought a 10x10 floating aluminum raft from Costco. I sistered 2x8 cedar to two ends of the raft to strengthen the aluminum and added the connectors through this. Although designed for this the
Manufacturer thought it would be fine on a small lake. The decking was framed in two sections which can be removed as I pull all the dock in for the winter.

creeky
# Posted: 21 Jun 2013 15:51

I built an 8x12 dock at my last house. put it on my boat trailer and trailered it to the local park and launched then towed it to its final floating spot.
So: experience/notes:
8 ft is not wide enough. my dock rocked with folks coming aboard, and we were in a narrow channel with a lot of boat traffic ... it wasn't unusual to spill drinks. So make your dock at least 10 ft wide is my advice. I'd probably go 12.
I used 4 50 gallon barrels. lots of flotation. one started to leak at year 3 and I discovered that I preferred to keep the barrels 1/3 full of water to keep the dock steadier and a bit lower. I used galvanized strapping and it held up well.
I framed with 2x8 PT where it was hidden and red cedar where it was exposed. Yes, I am that cheap. I doubled the 2x8s on front/back edges. I used a 24" o.c. joist with joist hangers. I decked with cedar.
My 42" x 10 or 12' ramp (from stairs on a very steep slope) hinged to the dock with dock hardware from a big box and from the stairs with a 4' x 1.5" hardwood dowel. I found the dowel in the house when we took possession, so figured, heck it's free. I drilled 1.5" holes in the ramp joists and the stair joists and what can I say. the dowel is still there after many a year. and many a spring flood. simple screws keep it from sliding out.
Sold the house after 12 years and the dock was still in excellent shape. the new owners didn't tie it down properly and the spring flood took it away. My poor ramp sat in the river for a year, but I saw they built a new dock and the ramp is back in use.
oh, and my dock has been featured in a variety of "doing it right" river conservation guides. not to boast or anything

Jim in NB
# Posted: 20 May 2014 11:32

I have made a few sections of dock - all out of PT 2x6 and 55 gallon drums. Have an 8x8 for the boat launch area and then had a 4x16' floating section that runs out to a 12x8. I have had some issues with barrels filling but that can be traced back to too many beverages during dock construction! I have found the 4x16' section a bit tippy so am going to construct a 6'x16' section to replace which will use four rather than two barrels. Easy to build and build them right in the lake. Once I get them in this spring I will post some pics. Lots of sources of info can be found thru googling,

cbright
# Posted: 22 May 2014 15:28 - Edited by: cbright

Here is my floating dock... 12'x10' with a 12'x4' ramp. Built with marine Styrofoam I got from an old government wharf.

Going to be adding a 3' by 16' addition on the side to dock a pontoon boat. Will be using barrels for this part.
Fisheye shot of the dock
Fisheye shot of the dock
Dock during construction
Dock during construction

vtbros
# Posted: 22 May 2014 18:18 - Edited by: vtbros

A floating dock was the first thing we put in at our place. Went for 16 x 16 for stability and lots of room. Here are a few pictures. Happy to answer questions.
P1010135.JPG
P1010135.JPG
20120416_11.15.59..jpg
20120416_11.15.59..jpg
DSC00212.JPG
DSC00212.JPG

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 22 May 2014 21:27

Grew up on a lake, we used large styrofoam blocks. Never have to worry about a leak etc. Keeps the docks deck lower to the water. We had a large concrete anchor pad with large iron sticking out for a hinge. There was a mid section from the anchor pad to the dock deck. It was hinged at both ends to allow for lake level changes. The blue drums make the dock set pretty high and also makes the dock "rock" much more. Styrofoam is much more stable and sold by Dow
http://building.dow.com/na/en/products/specialty/billets.htm

creeky
# Posted: 23 May 2014 09:52

We used to float small rivers on 4x8 sheets of styrofoam (10" thick). Tonnes of fun.

Styrofoam is often quite easy to find used from construction/demo sites.

Jadmas
# Posted: 15 Jul 2014 05:18

Thanks for sharing! If you would like to go further, I found some interesting information on this website: www.nauticexpo.com/boat-manufacturer/dock-13909.html

Jim in NB
# Posted: 15 Jul 2014 06:06

Great pics of docks guys - nothing like a dock at the lake eh? I finally got mine sorted out with some pics. On the main dock I maind concrete anchors using old tires - a little plywood in the bottom with an eye hook extending above the concrete - have four and criss-crossed the wiring for added stability - they held perfectly thru Hurricane Arthur. Well worth the time and effort. Pics are main dock, boat launch dock and then a shot from looking back in at them from the lake.
100_1622.JPG
100_1622.JPG
100_1625.JPG
100_1625.JPG
100_1630.JPG
100_1630.JPG

Just
# Posted: 15 Jul 2014 15:02 - Edited by: Just

Simple 3 barrel dock, it is now 7 years old and going strong .
dock
dock
holds 4 grandkids
holds 4 grandkids

bukhntr
# Posted: 7 Jun 2015 21:55

been moving slow on this, I bought actual dock floats today at menards buy one get one free. I will store them til needed. My next question is do I need to secure the end of the dock to prevent drift. I am on a 3/4 acre pond in a valley. Not a lot of wind to speak of. I am pouring a concrete pad with foundation bolts to start off of for the ramp and thought of just letting the platform float connected to it. It will be 8x12. I am now thinking of driving pipe on 2 corners to keep it secure. My concern is very rocky bottom and not sure how deep I can get without hitting rock. Looks like some of the pics have rope or cable tied from shore to the corners. If you have used either please share

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 8 Jun 2015 00:07

We poured a huge concrete pad, as wide as the dock and 3 feet deep, as for thickness, I think it was like 6", had 2 large chunks of galvanized angle iron coming up from it (those were cemented into 3 foot deep holes first, then pad poured over those, that anchored and pinned it in place. We had a dock section that bolted onto that and bolted with a hinge at the dock itself also. The first short section was hinged at both ends. We had huge winds, dock never moved.

Just
# Posted: 8 Jun 2015 09:16

I have a concrete block and 8 ft of chain holding the water end in place and a dead head and chain on the land side . We are on a river that can have flash floods , I haven't had any problems with it moving.. You shouldn't need much in a pond .

Tarmetto
# Posted: 9 Jun 2015 10:21

Started rebuilding this one at our new lot. Not sure if the outer pilings are in good enough shape to re-use.
We plan to have a floater at the end for the pontoon boat.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.