Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / New Build in Central KY
BaconCreek
# Posted: 22 Jul 2013 22:25

We started building our 12x24 cabin last November in Central KY on Nolin Lake.
My husband and I are doing the majority of the work with a little help from our son.
We are packing all materials approximately 70 yards up a hill.
We both work full time so the majority of the work is done on weekends.
We have really gotten a lot of great information and inspiration from this site.
piers
piers
foundation
foundation
hardware cloth
hardware cloth

BaconCreek
# Posted: 22 Jul 2013 22:31 - Edited by: BaconCreek

We used hardware cloth and then insulated in between the joists. After we finished the foundation and floor we had to make stairs so we could work on framing the walls.
floor_joists_foundat.jpg
floor_joists_foundat.jpg
stairs.JPG
stairs.JPG
wall_frame2.JPG
wall_frame2.JPG

BaconCreek
# Posted: 22 Jul 2013 22:39

We used decking for the loft floor and it is 12x8. Our son helped us with the plywood sheathing on the outside.
Did I mention we are carrying all this stuff up a hill about 70 yards?
Also there is no power so we are using battery operated tools but the battery life is pretty short in the cold weather.
The long windows are facing south so we can take advantage of some solar action.
loft_joists.JPG
loft_joists.JPG
loft_floor.JPG
loft_floor.JPG
sheathing.JPG
sheathing.JPG
south_view.JPG
south_view.JPG

BaconCreek
# Posted: 22 Jul 2013 22:47

This is the view from the compost outhouse that we built about a year and a half ago. We also have 2 decks that we have built over the last several years. The cabin is positioned behind the smaller 12x12 deck.

The ridge beam and rafters were hard. I was ready to stage a rebellion at this point. It was spring break and we worked 8 days straight, all day. In the end it was worth it because we got a lot done that week.
outhouse_view.JPG
outhouse_view.JPG
rafter_shot.JPG
rafter_shot.JPG
ridge_beam.JPG
ridge_beam.JPG
front_door_rafters.J.jpg
front_door_rafters.J.jpg

BaconCreek
# Posted: 22 Jul 2013 22:55 - Edited by: BaconCreek

Our son helped with the plywood on the roof. Thank goodness.

We went with single hung windows and a steel pre-hung door from Lowes. Installation of these went better than expected and it really seems like we are getting it all dried in.

We have decided to get a local Amish man to put metal on the roof. He asked us how we got all that stuff up the hill and said he had no idea it was there. You can't see it from the main road that borders the property so that is a good thing.
tlaw_roof.JPG
tlaw_roof.JPG
Door.JPG
Door.JPG
amish_roofer.JPG
amish_roofer.JPG
finished.JPG
finished.JPG

BaconCreek
# Posted: 22 Jul 2013 23:00

We found 4 thermal pane commercial windows for 13.00 each at the resale store. This is my favorite part of the cabin.

We went with LP Smart Siding for the exterior. It was really hard to decide what to use but this seems like it will be low maintenance which is what we are going for. We will eventually paint it so it will blend in with the woods better.
long_window_install..jpg
long_window_install..jpg
wall_siding.jpg
wall_siding.jpg

BaconCreek
# Posted: 22 Jul 2013 23:14

After we put the siding on the front we will use some of the extra metal to cover the porch. I think I will paint the front door Forest Green.
As you come up the path you can barely see the cabin. We cut just enough area to work.
There is a power pole on the edge of the property but I don't want them to clear cut the woods for installation.
The last picture is the entrance to our 22 acres. This is the field we park in and then walk up the hill to the cabin.
There is a boat ramp to the lake about 300 yards from the entrance of our cable gate.

I can't wait to finish the outside of our place so we can get started on the inside.
002.JPG
002.JPG
210.JPG
210.JPG
211.JPG
211.JPG
016.JPG
016.JPG

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 22 Jul 2013 23:16

Very nice...welcome to the group!

old old buddy
# Posted: 23 Jul 2013 06:56

Hi! and welcome. You have a beautiful design and a lot of hard work. Are your photos up to date now? I noticed you put everything on the forum last night. And...you were talking about the cold weather? Kind of made me wonder where you were located that it was cold?

You seem to be making excellent progress

Keep your pictures coming and it looks like you're well on your way to being completed. I think you'll love it away from everyone...I know we do.

Old Old Buddy

tnky03
# Posted: 23 Jul 2013 15:49

Bacon Creek, your cabin looks great! You all have gotten so much done and it looks like will be done with the exterior soon. We just had a camping weekend with family on Nolin Lake at Dog Creek last weekend, so nice there. If you decide to use solar check out the new store going in in Cub Run, right on Hwy. 88. The Amish are opening it and they have all you need and will install it for you if you want (very good prices). Look forward to seeing future pics of your place.

BaconCreek
# Posted: 23 Jul 2013 16:30

Thanks for the encouragement everyone!
Our Amish roofer was telling us about the store and I am thinking we will go and check it out soon.

jrbarnard
# Posted: 24 Jul 2013 12:37

Very nice Bacon!

Russ

BaconCreek
# Posted: 13 Aug 2013 22:03

We have finished siding most of the cabin with LP Smart Siding. This went pretty well. The worst part was carrying the 18 sheets 70 yds. up the hill.
004.JPG
004.JPG
009.JPG
009.JPG
011.JPG
011.JPG

BaconCreek
# Posted: 13 Aug 2013 22:05

We found a window for the loft and that was a pretty easy install as well.
We trimmed out windows and corners of the cabin with 1x4 treated wood.
015.JPG
015.JPG
017.JPG
017.JPG
019.JPG
019.JPG

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.