Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Current Build 16X32 MIL Cottage
. 1 . 2 . >>
Martian
# Posted: 10 Sep 2013 19:35

After converting a bedroom to a bathroom on the second floor of an old stone house last Winter, I said I wasn't taking on any more big projects. But, there is this widow of a Silver Star winner at Pearl Harbor who needed a small cottage built; so once more, I grabbed my tools.

The family was going to buy a prefab 14X32 outbuilding and convert it. For the same money, I've designed and am building them a 16X32 on site. Considering her age, I've allowed for ease of movement in a walker or wheel chair, the added weight of a hospital bed, and plenty of windows to provide light and views. There is a small inset porch on the SE corner.

The foundation is foundation grade 6X6's, with 2X12 banding, and 2X10 joist. It is screwed together using construction grade 4" and 6" torx screws.

After placing the joist by fastening two 4" screws in each end, the outside banding board was put in place. Then the joist hangers were fitted using 2 3/4" screws after clamping the two banding boards together. Here, my helper, Gabe is finishing the hangers.

Then we started laying the 3/4" T&G subfloor. I'm using silicone on top of the joist to prevent squeaks, and 2 1/2" screws to put it down.

We have three weeks to get it dried in before I'm taking off on a bike trip! If it keeps going as well as it has, that should be no problem!

Tom

Rossman
# Posted: 10 Sep 2013 19:41

Quoting: Martian
But, there is this widow of a Silver Star winner at Pearl Harbor who needed a small cottage built; so once more, I grabbed my tools.

Awesome man!!

naturelover66
# Posted: 10 Sep 2013 20:54

Nice Work Tom ...... im sure she will love it.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 10 Sep 2013 21:28

You're working? WTH? Good job! We shouldn't have to work anymore.

O

Martian
# Posted: 10 Sep 2013 23:16

Hell, Owen, this ain't work! I've always said that I'd do what I do for free if I could afford to do it. While I can't give away my time, its nice to have a sliding scale when a project like this comes along. As a friend said, this one is about building a legacy; not making money! I like to work; I just don't like HAVING to work! As we all know, having to work sucks! LOL

I must give my helper a big pat on the back. The young man knows very little about carpentry, and this is the first time he's worked with me, but he has a good attitude and is willing to learn. I'm willing to teach him what he needs to know. He's been a real joy to work with.

Tom

Martian
# Posted: 11 Sep 2013 08:58

Quoting: naturelover66
Nice Work Tom ...... im sure she will love it.

Quoting: Rossman
Awesome man!!

Thanks.

Tom

trollbridge
# Posted: 11 Sep 2013 18:29

She's a lucky lady to have you building her home. I'm sure her distinguished husband is looking down from above and nodding his head with approval. I bet it brings you a great deal of satisfaction to do this job!

Martian
# Posted: 11 Sep 2013 18:54

TB, I love to create! Its what I do! Creating for someone who needs my creations is very rewarding! I honestly don't care if I make a dime on this job. Its reward enough when she comes out and gives me a hug each day. I like paying it forward.

Today we finished putting down the subfloor, and laid out the walls for windows, doors, etc. I am only building the shell, but I went ahead and popped lines for the interior walls just to make sure everything has sufficient clearance and functionality. I think it is going to be a great place for her to spend the remainder of her life.

She is currently living in a large, two-story, 120 yo house. I wanted to rework it, but the rock foundation is falling down, and it would have cost a fortune to lift the house and rebuild it. She said it cost her almost $500/month to heat it, and she still had to have a blanket on! The structure I'm providing won't cost that much a year to heat and cool!

Tom

Martian
# Posted: 14 Sep 2013 16:47 - Edited by: Martian

It been a pretty good week. We did lose one day because of rain, but I worked today to make up for it. Unfortunately my helper has a second job and couldn't be there.

We finished the longest wall, and stood it up on Friday. That was a trick with only the two of us!

After standing the first wall, we started laying out the second long wall. It'll be MUCH easier to stand up as its 4' shorter.

One of the ways I speed the process of screwing on the sheathing is to start all the screws with a hammer.

And then, come back with the screw gun and run them in.

All ready to stand up on Monday when I get my helper back.

One good use of banding strap is holding the base in place while the wall is lifted. These pieces are screwed down to the subfloor to make sure we don't have to pick the damned wall up off the ground!

This is where Ila May lives now. It was once a beautiful home, but its in need of so many repairs its just not feasible.

Tom

trollbridge
# Posted: 16 Sep 2013 16:28

That old house looks like a beauty. It is too bad the foundation is crumbling and would require extensive and expensive repairs. It would be really pretty with a new front porch...maybe even wrapping around the side. I hope that care is taken to salvage the interior woodwork, doors, fixtures, etc. Is there still big cast iron sinks and tubs? I am a sucker for these old homes!

Anyway, at 500.00 a month just to heat the place, she will see a HUGE savings! Her new little home will be so cozy and comfortable with no drafts, i'm sure she will love it!

I'm glad it is coming along so nicely. Keep up the good work

Martian
# Posted: 16 Sep 2013 19:13

Three walls are now standing; although today, we had to work in a light rain. That's always fun. No working on the tan today!

The beauty of working with screws was made evident this afternoon. I had laid out the double windows in the South wall, and started screwing those pieces in place, when I realized I'd forgotten to take into account the wall thickness on one end. That would throw them 4" off center. It was so easy to reverse the impact driver and back them out as compared to removing nails!

TB, a lot of the structure will be salvaged. The interior trim has been sold, and I'm hoping to get enough of the old flooring to do my place. I would like to get some of the old 2X lumber for tables and things, also. There is a set of kitchen cabinets her husband built that I've told Ila May I'll try to fit into her new place.

Tom

Martian
# Posted: 19 Sep 2013 23:00

We've made good progress so far this week. This is where we were at the start of today. The rafter ties/ceiling joist are in place.

The roof package arrived today.

Tom

rayyy
# Posted: 20 Sep 2013 16:45

SWWWWEEEEETTTTT!Perfect size!

Martian
# Posted: 21 Sep 2013 08:58

I forgot the camera yesterday, but then, I didn't have any extra hands to take pictures with anyway. My helper was out which left me cutting and installing 50 rafters by myself! Needless to say, I slept like a rock last night!

Today, I'll frame in the gable ends, cut the rafter tails, and get ready to start decking the roof on Monday.

Tom

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 21 Sep 2013 09:14

Looks good Tom. I sometimes use a 2'' pipe 12' long with a boat winch welded onto it about tree feet from the bottom and a pulley on the other, to raise walls by myself. I attach a chain to the wall with C-lamps, a few feet each side of the center and put the pipe base into some wood blocks screwed to the floor. One of these days I'll make a real base. It sure cranks up a 20' sided wall easy, and actually acts as a brace to hold the wall from going over when done right.

Owen

Martian
# Posted: 21 Sep 2013 16:02

I thought about doing something similar, but I ended up screwing scrap pieces to the floor and lifting the wall about a foot at a time. By working back and forth, we had the 32' up in about 10 minutes.

I am so freaking pleased! Basic measurements has each side of the roof structure within 1/4" of square. That's easy to get out!

Tom

trollbridge
# Posted: 21 Sep 2013 19:07

Dorothy and Toto would have been safe in that one!!! looks extremely solid!!!!! Wow!

Martian
# Posted: 22 Sep 2013 10:50 - Edited by: Martian

Well, TB, when you build in Kansas, you have to consider those possible trips over the rainbow! If it goes, I want it to go as a unit! LOL

This is the profile as of Saturday morning.

I managed to get the gable ends framed before I had to leave this job and go help set a 51"X99"x3" Oak island top at another customer's place. The top came from a shop in Minnesota. The whole family decided to drive down with it on a trailer. Its a replacement top for the one he made that split down the middle. Unfortunately, they were 2 hours late getting here. It made for a very long day yesterday!

I'm getting a late start today...its Sunday! The rafter tails will get shaped today; so we can start decking tomorrow.

Tom

Martian
# Posted: 24 Sep 2013 18:10

The hard part is done! The roof decking is on! All I need to do now is put down the underlayment to keep the inside dry while I'm gone for awhile. I'll finish up after my vacation.

Three weeks to this point. Material cost so far are $5000.

Tom

Bevis
# Posted: 25 Sep 2013 00:46

looks like a nice solid place. enjoy the bike trip Tom.

trollbridge
# Posted: 27 Sep 2013 08:54

Looks like you met your goal. Congratulations

Oh, and btw...I'm pretty sure that would go over the rainbow as one solid unit! What a trip that would be! LOL

Martian
# Posted: 27 Sep 2013 12:10

TB, I have met my goal of having it to this point before I left.

I've also met my goal of being able to build this shell for the same price as a prefab but much, much stronger and better. All the siding, doors, windows, and metal roofing have been ordered. I'd estimated it to cost about $8500 for materials, and they came out at $8600. The family was supposed to help build it, but couldn't. They did pay for my helper; my time is her gift. One can never have too much good karma! It'll take a week, or so, to finish the outside when I return.

Now, I'm ready to enjoy a little time off. While I'm not yet sure where this ride will take me, I am sure it will be enjoyable. I hope all stay safe, and out of trouble, while I'm gone.

Tom

trollbridge
# Posted: 27 Sep 2013 12:49

I'm sure it will be great to relax and ride after all your hard work on this cabin. It is very nice of you to donate all the time you put in to this point. Good karma is a very good thing and I am sure the family must really appreciate your gift! I will be looking forward to watching the rest of this build when you return. Please have a safe trip, stay careful!

hattie
# Posted: 27 Sep 2013 17:25

Oh what a beautiful home this is going to be!! Can't wait to see more photos....Great job!!

PatrickH
# Posted: 27 Sep 2013 18:10

What a gift Tom, the world needs more people like you leading by example! Nice job!

Martian
# Posted: 12 Oct 2013 20:52 - Edited by: Martian

Thanks, Patrick. Building stuff is what I do now. This way, somebody else is buying the materials! The fact that this lady, her husband, and her family, have been good to me since I came to this sparsely populated county, is another motivation. There's a lot of reasons for doing something like this every now and then, and they all leave you with a good feeling about yourself.

And Hattie, just for you, more pictures.

After a great visit with my family, it took a day or two to get back into the job. I had so completely put work out my mind, I had to stop and think "what's next?" The answer turned out to be the soffit and trim to get ready for the metal roof.

I used smooth 12" cement siding for soffits, and 13/16 cedar for trim.

Friday morning, it looked like this.

And Friday afternoon, like this.

Both sides are secured, but I need to run three more rows of screws, put on the ridge cap, and the rake end trim. Then, its on the windows, doors, and all the trim.

Tom

Bevis
# Posted: 12 Oct 2013 23:15

Looks good Tom.

ErinsMom
# Posted: 13 Oct 2013 07:57

Tom,
Have not been hanging out here much in the last few months. Just reading about new build today. It looks great! Can't wait to see how it looks in the end. She is one lucky lady to have you. You, sir, are a godsend for her.

trollbridge
# Posted: 14 Oct 2013 16:17

you are cruising right along........and might i add it looks fabuloso! that's wonderful, great and fantastic all rolled into one

Martian
# Posted: 15 Oct 2013 08:35 - Edited by: Martian

Well, TB, there wasn't much "cruising right along" yesterday...it rained. I enjoyed the day off, that's for sure, but its clear this morning. I'll be back to cruising today.

Erin'sMom, Thank you. For me to be to called a godsend, just proves how mysterious the ways are in which He really works! LOL

Tom

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.