Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / New member from British Columbia
basrijn
# Posted: 29 Sep 2013 14:38

Hi,

Wanted to say Hi after reading thru many of the threads on this site. In two weeks we will get the keys to our cabin. Cabin is located about an hour outside of Pemberton. It's a properly off-grid location with no power lines in sight

We moved 8 years ago from The Netherlands to Canada to be closer to the mountains we love. From early one we had the dream of having a cabin in the woods. As you can imagine we are super excited!

Cabin has a non functional well, so that will be the first item to look at. Managed to find the maker for the hand pump that is on it, but the only references on the internet are for people selling them as garden ornaments Good news is, that if it isn't repairable, it will bring some money for a replacement

Some pictures below.

Front View

From the back

The well

Tx for reading

dk1393
# Posted: 29 Sep 2013 16:53

Lehmans.com may have parts for you

leonk
# Posted: 29 Sep 2013 19:23

welkom

It's a big change from the most densely populated country of EU to BC
and the flattest too

basrijn
# Posted: 30 Sep 2013 21:51

@leonk

Yes it is Used to drive 10-12hrs to get to the mountains, now 15 minutes. The new cabin is in a valley where, if it were the same density as The Netherlands, probably 150.000 people would live, instead of the 30 or so

Bas

bldginsp
# Posted: 1 Oct 2013 08:59

Should be easy enough to repair that pump regardless of whether or not you can get parts from the original manufacturer. It's just a couple of valves. See this:

https://recpro.memberclicks.net/assets/Library/Parks/omguidehandpumps.pdf

I googled 'how to repair a hand well pump' and came up with a lot.

Nice looking pump, nice cabin.

basrijn
# Posted: 1 Oct 2013 10:46

@bldginsp

Cool, I did a lot of Googling and reading so far as well. But somehow probably missed the keyword "repair"

I had never found that PDF.. awesome!

Thank you very much
Bas

hattie
# Posted: 1 Oct 2013 15:10

Welcome to the forum. We are in BC as well (Coalmont). Is that pump a "Beatty" pump? My husband, Bob, is a Beatty from the company that made them. Let me know if that is the make of the pump. Bob said the pump is a "stock" pump that is used for filling up water troughs for livestock. It is usually located directly above a well. If a farmer had enough money, he would build a windmill tower above it and then the windmill would pull the pump rod up and down.

basrijn
# Posted: 2 Oct 2013 02:10

Tx Hattie. The brand is McDougall from Galt, Ontario:

http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/detail.aspx?id=370

It seems to be at least 50 years old. Pulling the handles showed very little resistance, hopefully we can pull it out. Fix the pump rod and have a working pump again.

Bas

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.