Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Our Cabin in NorthWestern Indiana
tverga
# Posted: 4 Oct 2013 13:28

I just thought I would share our cabin, we purchased it in January and it has just been great fun. I am exploring ways of keeping critters from living under the house, any ideas? We are just 1.5 hours away from Chicago so even if we want to make a day trip it is easy. There are several cabins for sale in this very private area and lots available along the river.
Front View
Front View
Side View
Side View
Back View
Back View
Side view 2
Side view 2

Just
# Posted: 4 Oct 2013 16:18

well you can trap em , poison em, talk to them in a stern tone , non of these things work unless you do them often , like every time you go to the cabin. sooooo my advice is be as persistent as they are , and let them know who is paying the mortgage ..
good luck and welcome to Small Cabin

HoosierDad
# Posted: 4 Oct 2013 19:41

Nice place. Just curious, but what county are you in (and which river are you near)?

(I've lurked here for a couple years, but seeing one more Indiana cabin made me finally register!)

Bevis
# Posted: 4 Oct 2013 22:47

put chicken wire (small squares) on the bottom of the cabin and bury it 8-10 inchs in the ground.

tverga
# Posted: 4 Oct 2013 22:51

Quoting: HoosierDad
Nice place. Just curious, but what county are you in (and which river are you near)?

The cabin is in Starke County and is on the banks of the Kankakee River. Glad to see you finally registered.

tverga
# Posted: 4 Oct 2013 22:53

Quoting: Bevis
put chicken wire (small squares) on the bottom of the cabin and bury it 8-10 inchs in the ground.

Sounds like the best bet, I was thinking about making a bunch of 6" chicken wire tubes and just bury them at the base of the skirting.

creeky
# Posted: 5 Oct 2013 08:49

creative use of shed roofs for sure. nice place.

tverga
# Posted: 5 Oct 2013 10:56

Quoting: creeky
creative use of shed roofs for sure. nice place.

I spent two years looking on the web before finding this one. Going out today, I will take some inside photos and post.

The property has a shared 28 acres that are all wooded, lots are mowed by association. So all you have to do is show up, open a beer, start a fire and sit down. There are 3 cabins for sale all built by the same guy who still lives on the property, $55-115 are the current prices and lots start at $15k. I do not own any of them so I am not trying to make a profit off the forum, I just know that good property is hard to find close to the city. People on this forum just seem to have the same mindset so I thought I would post some details. 1.5 hours out of Chicago, 2 hours from Indy. Not exactly off the grid but 20 miles from population with electrical service and propane available. We have a 500gal Propane tank that supplies fuel to the heater, it would be easy to add a propane generator and solar.

Oh yea, flush toilets for the ladies! (central septic and well)

I'll post some pics of the grounds and inside the cabin on Monday.

trollbridge
# Posted: 5 Oct 2013 12:14

Congratulations on your happy purchase and welcome to small-cabin

It's a beautiful place

tverga
# Posted: 18 Oct 2013 13:11

Our cabin at night...
Cabin_at_night.jpg
Cabin_at_night.jpg

old old buddy
# Posted: 20 Oct 2013 08:34

Propane deliveries and flush toilets! What will they think of next? Heck.....it sounds like you live in a "GATED COMMUNITY."

WELCOME TO THE FORUM. Nice to see a Hoosier on here. I like your place. Can't advise on the critter problem. Our cabin is about 30" (floor level) off the ground and it is completely open. We have a bottom floor to keep the critters out and a top floor of 3/4" plywood. So far (after two plus years) no critters inside...just the occasional wood spyder.

Anyway....I hope you enjoy your place like we enjoy ours. I'm going up today. It's eight miles from my house. Takes about 15 minutes (including unlocking the gate and then locking it) and all the way to the top of the hill.

Old Old Buddy (my son is just Old Buddy)

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.