Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Pictures of our land
SandyR
# Posted: 10 Nov 2013 18:44

We are planning everything out for next spring and do not have anything to show, but our rolling hills. I wish I had some some nice sunny pics to share, but these are nice also.
082.JPG
082.JPG
083.JPG
083.JPG

naturelover66
# Posted: 10 Nov 2013 18:50

Beautiful view !!!

old old buddy
# Posted: 10 Nov 2013 19:03

Whereabouts are you located? It could be somewhere in Ohio very easily by the lay of the land. How big is your plot? You're right.....it is beautiful!

Old Old Buddy

SandyR
# Posted: 10 Nov 2013 19:22 - Edited by: SandyR

We are in Allegany county, NY. We have 10.5 acres.

The view you see is part of the Allegany Mountain Range which is part of the Appalachian Mountains.

One morning at about 7am in the west there was fog like I have never seen in my life rising up between the hills. It was such a clear crisp morning, and the sun was shining. I could clearly see all the boarders of the fog.

I can't wait to be sitting on my porch in the morning drinking my tea with my husband by my side.

You are right, it does look like something from Ohio.

old old buddy
# Posted: 11 Nov 2013 17:37

SandyR
Are you anywhere close to Oneanta, NY? We were returning from the New England states and decided to drive down (I-88?) through Oneanta and stayed overnight there. My wife and I remember it was one of the friendliest towns we were ever in. I remember it was nestled in among the mountains and was absolutely beautiful during the second week of October with the changing of the leaves. I remember that the downtown sidewalks were about fifteen feet wide. It reminded us of an older town from "days gone by."

Isn't it funny how you remember those things? I would love to go back with about a foot of snow on the ground.

Old Old Buddy

hueyjazz
# Posted: 11 Nov 2013 18:37

Sandy

You're not far from the wife and I. We're 6 miles from Swain in the hills. We too love the pastoral views. We just finished a year of ownership of a "project" with 20 acres. Got a lot done with much to go but a labor of love.
Have you checked out Angelica yet? What a time warp. And, horses with buggies do roam the streets at times.

SandyR
# Posted: 11 Nov 2013 20:52

Old old Buddy I looked at Oneanta ny and we are hours away from there, but boy does it sure look the same. I am glad that you had those memories. I love when memories sneak there way into your thought and make you smile.

Hueyjazz, my family had a cabin on Old State road in Granger that I grew up in. ( That's a whole other story ) I have been to Swain a couple of times before and you are right, that's not far from you. We are only about 10 minutes from Dansville.

I have yet to spend the day in Angelica. Our family hopes to take a day off soon and visit the entire street - lol. It reminds me of Nunda and Dalton from about 30 years ago when they had a real soda bar in town!

I am certain that there are many buggies. I am glad to know it. We have done a lot with the Amish and are having them help us with our cabin in the spring. They are good people. They are making us the cabin shell to deliver on skids for our property.

hueyjazz
# Posted: 11 Nov 2013 22:23

Ha

Truth be known the cabin is in Granger off of Walbridge Rd.
You are the first I found that knew of Granger. It's like 500 people right?
But that's what we wanted. Better yet, we're off the grid inside of, off the grid.
But 30 o so minutes to a hospital.
Good luck on the build.

SandyR
# Posted: 12 Nov 2013 09:07

We were very lucky that we found just what we wanted when we found this land. There is no electric, gas, or water hookups available AT ALL. Totally off the grid - just as we had planned

hueyjazz
# Posted: 12 Nov 2013 12:04

I'm not totally off the grid. I had three things that I required that took years to find together.

1. I didn't want to be able to see any other cabins, hear cars or otherwise let people know of my existance. I wanted to be in the woods, not by it.

2. I wanted to be no more than an hour from my normal house and work. I'm on call 24/7

3. I wanted electric power and proof a well wouldn't be too difficult to add.

This holy trinity was difficult to get in one package but we did it.

Salty Craig
# Posted: 12 Nov 2013 19:46

SandyR
Your land is lovely indeed. You will be blessed dealing with the Amish people. They are peace loving, gentle people as a whole. In the Shenandoah Valley, we have a lot of Mennonites. Very similar to Amish in beliefs and lifestyle. I wish y'all the best as you work on the project.
God bless, Salty Craig

SandyR
# Posted: 12 Nov 2013 20:00

We also wanted everything that you wanted but the utility. We really did not want to be more than an hour away from our main home.

We looked for years for something like what I grew up with on Old State rd. and yes we were IN the woods there. We couldn't find it anywhere else. We even drove around the dirt roads in Granger for years looking for any signs at the road sides that said 'for sale by owner'. Nothing
I also called many realtors, and they thought I was nuts, lol.

We are as close as we could find to Granger, on the other side of Birdsall. It's everything we were looking for, except one thing - it's not in the woods. That was one of the things that I wanted. The thing that I did get was no utilities. My husband loved the land though. It has some trees, but not like I grew up with.
The property has a high point as we are up on a rise with acres upon acres of goldenrod. We plan on making the driveway come up and around the highest point of the rise, and the cabin will sit on the other side of the top of that rise so that we are not seen from the road. It is a paved road, but there isn't much traffic.
It's as close to what I wanted as possible and I wasn't willing to wait any longer because I am afraid our boys will get too old to enjoy it.

Our main home is in East Aurora, 20 minutes south of Buffalo..

SandyR
# Posted: 12 Nov 2013 20:04

Quoting: Salty Craig
You will be blessed dealing with the Amish people. They are peace loving, gentle people as a whole. In the Shenandoah Valley, we have a lot of Mennonites. Very similar to Amish in beliefs and lifestyle.

We do try to deal with the Amish only when we need work and have been sending one of our sons to an Amish farm located in the hills of Lancaster Ohio in the summers. He loves it.

Salty Craig
# Posted: 12 Nov 2013 20:25

Quoting: SandyR
My husband loved the land though. It has some trees, but not like I grew up with.

Good thing about trees; they can be planted. I once heard a minister say "the best time to plant a tree is ten years ago."

SandyR
# Posted: 12 Nov 2013 21:15

Ha! That is just what my husband said!

MarkElizabethO
# Posted: 14 Dec 2013 09:36

My husband and I will be closing on the 25 acre parcel just above you next week! We saw you and your family enjoying your land this fall when we were looking at the property. We want to be off grid too. My husband found you on this forum and couldn't believe his luck. We are planning on building a timber frame home in about 10-12 years for retirement.

SandyR
# Posted: 14 Dec 2013 12:05

WOW Elizabeth! I got goosebumps reading your post. We saw you looking at the 25 acres that day too!

There was your piece there, and then 4 parcels together. We bought the 5 and 5.6 farest from you, and as far as we know the two ( 5 and 4.4 acres ) are still available.

We took out a 5 year loan to finish paying off the land, but hope to pay it off in 2-3. We have talked about buying the 5 acres over us if it is still for sale.

While my husband we hunting this fall he has meet a few neighbors. One of the neighbors are really nice and back up to both of our places. First name is Dirk.

We had our driveway put in a few weeks ago and Angelica is one of the easiest places to get something done in. Where you and I are there are no fees for permits, and we can do ANYTHING we want. It is zoned as do whatever you want.

I have only been on this site for a few months, and it has been a really great place to get information for almost anything I have questions for.

We plan on putting the cabin up this spring and living there half of the time.

What are your plans for this year?

MarkElizabethO
# Posted: 15 Dec 2013 10:13

Hi Sandy

We did not know about the zoning, good to know! We won't be doing much next year. We might get some trees started but that will be about it.
Our youngest is in college so it will be a slow process for a while.

We just love the area and when mark found the property he just could not get it out of his head. We were very lucky to get it, an offer came in the next day after our purchase offer was accepted. As far as we know too, those lots are still available.

We are planning on letting the farmer who has been haying our lot to continue to do so. It will keep it from getting out of control.

You must be so excited about starting the cabin in the spring. How big will it be? Will it be a retirement home some day for you?

SandyR
# Posted: 15 Dec 2013 19:21

My husband David felt the same way about the property and thought about it all the time. Our kids are almost 13, 11 and 9.

We are thinking about a 20x24 cabin with a loft, and I don't know about the retirement home. David has a motorcycle shop here in East Aurora called Broken Sprocket Garage, and never plans on retiring.
We do plan on spliting pretty equal times between the two places with me and the boys there while David is working.

David wants me to tell you that he saw a Mongolian Ringneck pheasant on your property while turning around on that side road. The neighbors released 20 of them.

MarkElizabethO
# Posted: 23 Dec 2013 20:48

We closed last wednesday and drove up to the land to look at our winter wonderland. It was cold!

That is very cool about the pheasant, we googled it to see what it looked like. It is beautiful bird.

We have 2 children, a daughter 19 at Alfred State and a son who is 27. He is a teacher in the Andover school district. He lives with his wife and our beautiful grandson in Hartsville. Which is one of the reasons we decided to retire in Angelica; their home is about 2O min away.

We live in Ogden which is just west of Rochester. So it is about 1 1/2 hr trip when we come down.

Tell your husband if any of his clients are interested in LED lighting for their motorcycle my brother has a business east of rochester doing that.

Angelica has a wonderful chocolate & ice cream shop. Also a nice cafe for lunch called Heritage coffee cafe or something like that. We have also dined at Black Eyed Susan's which is excellent.

Have a wonderful holiday and happy new year!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.