Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / My 10 x 20 prefab camping cabin
karlscabin
# Posted: 8 Mar 2010 00:32

This is the cabin shell I just bought to be placed on my lot in the mountains of oregon. It is a 10 foot by 20 foot, including front porch (10x16 room w/loft). I will use propane for heating and cooking. It will use slar panels along with a Onan 4000 watt/35 amp RV generator for power. I will be installing a Nature's Head (R) marine style composting toilet to save space and cost (only $850).
As it is still currently snowing there, I will have to wait for early May for it to be set on my lot. I am using this time to gather items I will use, like independent solar outdoor motion lighting sets, ect that will make life a little easier for an old man in the hills
Cabin shell 10x20 w/porch
Cabin shell 10x20 w/porch
storage loft above front porch
storage loft above front porch
sleeping loft above kitchen/bathroom (rear)
sleeping loft above kitchen/bathroom (rear)

karlscabin
# Posted: 8 Mar 2010 00:34

I cannot wait for May!!!!

Anonymous
# Posted: 8 Mar 2010 12:42

Lookin' good! I also cannot wait for spring!

larry
# Posted: 8 Mar 2010 21:41

hey Karl, are you gonna use the loft for a bunk? a little insulation and a wood stove for heat and you can start making some really cool memories. if you don't mind me asking... how much does something like that cost? does it come assembled?

karlscabin
# Posted: 8 Mar 2010 22:01

I paid $4500 + $300 for delivery as pictured. Yes it came assembled. I was able to get it on a rent to own deal, with $650 dn and $167 mo x times 48 months. Yes, this was the expensive way to go, i will end up paying about $8700 over the 4 year period, but it is done, and I could not afford to both build it from scratch and equip it for living prior to next winter, with out paying for extra labor... I did buy the display model, and saved bbout $650..
I will first insulate and "rock in" the ceiling with bathroom style sheetrock. For the walls I have thought of insulating them and using recycled pallet wood as covering. Heat will be by propane.

cabinbasics
# Posted: 9 Mar 2010 06:06

I'm jealous - looking at the same size, and like the barn style roof for the extra height! Nice going!

karlscabin
# Posted: 9 Mar 2010 11:21

Thank you, and yes the extra roof space is nice. Had I had it built, I think I would have put ANOTHER 6 or so inches up top, as the "loft" will enable you to lie down and sleep, but you can not sit up in bed...
It will also be extended another 2 feet, to accomodate a ladder style "entry" into the bed area. This will also provide space for a small, custom built, single drawer high "dresser" to act as a safety railing as well as clothes storage along the outer edge of the loft area.

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 9 Mar 2010 12:35

What is the clearance under the loft? Looks from the window height it might already be only about 7'. If higher you could lower the loft and gain some head room up there.

karlscabin
# Posted: 9 Mar 2010 18:41

the clearance on the rear loft in taller than the one in the front. I will use the rear loft above kitchen/head area as a "sleeping loft". Part of my furnature will include sofa/sleeper or futon set up... So I will probably never sleep up there, but never say never.......

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.