Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Just found this place
Turbogeno
# Posted: 13 Feb 2014 06:01

I've only had a short look around but it looks like I'll be able to get some good information here.

I finished phase 1 on my place last fall and have been enjoying it since.

Recent pic. http://genedevera.com/temp/glencreek/plow.jpg

Build website. The actual building phase starts about 1/2 way down the page. http://genedevera.com/temp/glencreek/

gersus
# Posted: 13 Feb 2014 10:35

Awesome! Looks like you have some cool property and a nice cabin!

RedTailHawk
# Posted: 13 Feb 2014 10:36

Pretty cool little cabin...Enjoy it!

Turbogeno
# Posted: 13 Feb 2014 11:11

Thanks, I have 113.5 acres but it's on the edge of about 7000 acres private and state land. There are no camps/houses except on the perimeter. The cabin was designed so I could put an addition on each side.

Thanks, Geno

hattie
# Posted: 13 Feb 2014 12:25

Welcome to the forum Turbogeno You have a great little cabin there and the location sounds amazing!!!

ATB
# Posted: 13 Feb 2014 12:52

sounds great welcome

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 13 Feb 2014 13:04

Looks great and you are so lucky to find a place so close to home and yet so remote. I now wish that I had more land/freedom to explore and take the kids on adventures to see something they can't normally see.

Keep us updated with projects...

ErinsMom
# Posted: 13 Feb 2014 18:00

Enjoyed your post. Keep sending photos.

neb
# Posted: 13 Feb 2014 20:06 - Edited by: neb

Very nice! If I may ask what does land go for like that in your area??

Turbogeno
# Posted: 14 Feb 2014 11:17 - Edited by: Turbogeno

Thanks for the welcomes. I spent last night up there for the storm. We wound up with about a foot. I'm actually supposed to be in Florida this week visiting my Mother. Unfortunately there are no direct flights out of Albany NY to Fla. The hubs for American and US Airlines are in DC and Charlotte NC. All flights canceled. Anyway here's a pic from this morning.
http://genedevera.com/temp/glencreek/2-13-14-Storm.jpg

There are lot pics here. Feel free to copy or link to them.
http://genedevera.com/temp/glencreek/

Quoting: neb
Very nice! If I may ask what does land go for like that in your area??

I've been looking for land on and off for years. Things never lined up for my needs to be met. Then in 2008 two things happened which got me a very good price on some good land. I paid about $700.00 an acre. #1 The economy crashed. #2 Some one prior to me had a contract to buy. Before the closing he began to post it in his name. He quite rudely threw out everyone he saw. It's not like many people go there to begin with. Lost ATVers, hunters, anyone. The property has some of the best access on my road to the 7000 acres behind me. Hunters have been going through for decades. Then a very small cabin on the property burnt down. Some people don't get it. There's a hunting club down the road. They're good guys. Local knowledge, they put on big drives and invite me. They can come through anytime they want. A lost ATVer came down last summer, we had a couple beers and he went on his way.

Thanks, Geno

adakseabee
# Posted: 14 Feb 2014 16:18

Great-looking maple floor! I know how much work it took to achieve that finished look.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 15 Feb 2014 16:33

Very nice project. Fine job and good choice in your truck too.

wactober
# Posted: 18 Feb 2014 22:52

Turbo,
On your picture page, 8-21-13, table 2 picture is a black bed with a thick mattress......may I ask where you got that set up? Thanks.

Turbogeno
# Posted: 19 Feb 2014 06:19 - Edited by: Turbogeno

I think the cot is military surplus. I got it from a barn on a friends camp where it had been laying around for years. The mattress is a small futon that was going to be thrown out when my Mother moved to Florida. I just found this. I'll have to look for a date and manufacturer on mine.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/78829-barcalo-army-bunk-1934/

Thanks, Geno
army_cot
army_cot
army_cot 2
army_cot 2

metoo
# Posted: 8 Mar 2014 07:39

Just had a look at all of your pics, beautiful area and a great little camp. enjoy.

beachman
# Posted: 9 Mar 2014 10:31

Looked at the thread. Sweet!

Turbogeno
# Posted: 9 Mar 2014 13:48 - Edited by: Turbogeno

Thanks guys. This summers projects will be less ambitious.

Dig/build an outhouse.

Reroute the wood stove pipe. It doesn't draft to well. I'd like to go straight up rather than out the wall and up but I'm afraid the snow would rip everything off as it slides slowly off the roof. I can't put it near the ridge. It has to be real close to the low end.

Get a backhoe or small excavator up there to dig a well. It's all sand where I want to dig. I'm pretty sure I'll hit water at around 10'. I have some 4'x18" pieces of concrete culvert. They'll sit on a bed of gravel and extend above the ground. I'll fill in the outside of them with more gravel and put a classic looking hand pump on top.

Thanks, Geno

bldginsp
# Posted: 9 Mar 2014 13:56

Geno-

If your water is at 10' or so, maybe you could do one of those water pressure drill things. Don't know a lot about it, but basically it's a pipe with high pressure water pumped in from the top and you ram it down into the soil. Works well in sandy soils, up to 25 feet or so, so I hear. Have you looked into this?

About your plow setup- I'm wondering if my 98 Toyota pickup would handle a plow. What vehicle is your plow attached to, and how effective is it? Is your engine a V8, V6, or 4?

Turbogeno
# Posted: 9 Mar 2014 15:11

I've seen those water drills. I have some time to think about it so maybe I'll look closer at them.

2013 Toyota Tacoma, V6, Meyer Plow. It's a pretty heavy one and does well but has its limitations. Residential use only and I'm careful with it cause I have a new truck. The big plow trucks dump lots of snow into the end of the driveway at camp. If we get 16" of heavy snow I may not even try to plow and if it freezes up before I get there I won't have a chance. There are other manufacturers out there and people say they work fine.

Thanks, Geno

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.