Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Excited about our new venture !!!
eddienlinda
# Posted: 14 Feb 2014 22:16

My wife and I have been looking on here for a short period now, but have learned a rash of things. With that said we signed contract today on a 7 acre tract in Central Texas. We have been planning a purchase for a while, and are planning on building a 16x20 cabin with a 12x16 loft. We have a band sawmill, and several Cedar, and Pine logs to mill. I built a rustic home with this machine last year, and with this experience under our belt it is a whole lot less unsettling to take on this new venture. We will surely by referencing this forum on a regular basis. We plan on 10 ft. walls for the framing. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

old243
# Posted: 14 Feb 2014 23:10

Congratulations on your land purchase. Interesting to see that you have a bandsaw. I have one as well. Can you use your material to build your cabin. In Ontario we cannot use our home sawn lumber, for structural use, unless we have it stamped by a lumber grader. Hope this doesn't apply to you. None structural , interior , external siding , you can use it.

We built our hunt camp , entirely out of lumber , from our own bush. It is in an unorganized township so no approvals, needed ,or applied for . You can save a bunch of money, by cutting your own, even if you have to purchase some logs.
My mill will cut up to 20 foot material . about 30 inch diameter. Have hydraulic log lifter, turner, toe board, clamps, did a bit of additions myself, as I like to weld and tinker around.

I am sure you will find lots of good advice here , good luck with your project old243

eddienlinda
# Posted: 15 Feb 2014 00:14

Yes we can use our sawn lumber here to build. Our home is built out of our sawmill framing lumber with no problems. We even milled our own siding as well.
Shop_things_056.jpg
Shop_things_056.jpg

bldginsp
# Posted: 15 Feb 2014 12:45

If you have a bandmill and have already built a house with lumber you cut from it, I think I'll be asking you for advice rather than the other way around. Keep us posted with pics as you proceed.

old old buddy
# Posted: 15 Feb 2014 16:45 - Edited by: old old buddy

Welcome to the forum! Having your own sawmill has got to be a great thing. I'm sure there is still a lot of "heavy" work involved in the process. I hope you take some photos of actually milling the timber for your cabin.

Is your land relatively flat? We have our cabin near the top of a 50 acre hill. In some areas, people would call it a small mountain (in the east) but the cabin sits at 1168 feet above sea level. Our biggest problem had always been getting to the top (before I purchased the four-wheeler).

As I recall Texas driving through on I-40 I remember several large bluffs but I don't remember any large mountains in that small part of the state. But as big as Texas is.....you gotta have some mountains

Good luck with your build and please keep us updated.

Old Old Buddy

eddienlinda
# Posted: 15 Feb 2014 21:17

Thanks all. I am the kind of guy that is always seeking knowledge, and feel I can always learn from others. I am by no means a pro at building, but I will say that I dont shy away from a challenge. I never built a home before this one, but am a Disabled Marine that dont have a Quit, button installed With that said I will definately be chiming in, and asking lots of questions. I didnt have any plans or blueprints to work of of. I bought myself a laser transome from Harbor Freight to get a good level on my post for the foundation, and went from there. I put treated 4x4,s in concrete 2 ft. deep, and spaced them 8 ft. apart. Left the post 10ft above ground, and incorporated them in my walls. Seemed like a good thing to do No pro by no means, so please help...
new_build_008.jpg
new_build_008.jpg

old old buddy
# Posted: 15 Feb 2014 22:22

eddienlinda
Your foundation sounds very similar to ours. Our cabin was 12X16 so we put 6"X6"'s in the four corners and 4X4's halfway down each side. Our base wrap is a 2"X12" with two 1/2" bolts through each upright. Our floor joists are 2X8's and it feels very sturdy...as yours does I'm sure. We added a sideroom (8'X16') a year after we built the cabin and built it the same way.

Your picture above looks like a cabin that is going to be much larger than a 16X20??

Old Old Buddy

eddienlinda
# Posted: 16 Feb 2014 21:16

The cabin/home above is 20x34. We made it 3 bedroom, and 1 1/2 baths. 12x20 living/cooking area, and a laundry room

eddienlinda
# Posted: 16 Feb 2014 21:29

We have since stained it with a white solid siding stain. It will be trimmed in grey around trim. Here are pics of the land we have a contract on, and plan on having a get away cabin on it. Looking at several options for the cabin on the new land that may later be turned into our forever home once the kids are out of school, and gone.
House_n_land_071.jpg
House_n_land_071.jpg
House_n_land_074.jpg
House_n_land_074.jpg
House_n_land_081.jpg
House_n_land_081.jpg
House_n_land_096.jpg
House_n_land_096.jpg

eddienlinda
# Posted: 16 Feb 2014 21:39

Few more pics of our little sawmill house build
House_n_land_070.jpg
House_n_land_070.jpg
house_005.jpg
house_005.jpg
house_019.jpg
house_019.jpg
Band_n_house_024.jpg
Band_n_house_024.jpg

bldginsp
# Posted: 17 Feb 2014 00:43

I like the look of the irregular siding. Using a bandmill is a lot of fun, seeing what the inside of the tree looks like- a new discovery with every board.

Do critters like to hang out underneath the house?

Mike 870
# Posted: 17 Feb 2014 08:49

What are the thin white lines? Some sort of chinking to fill in cracks?

eddienlinda
# Posted: 17 Feb 2014 10:52

Mike 870 that is a high grade calk/chink to fill in cracks. I sawed standing dead pines to get around the drying time, and also I dont like to cut good healthy trees. People are more than willing to let me cut standing dead trees for the logs off their property. Works out great for both of us.

cabingal3
# Posted: 17 Feb 2014 21:57

very nice place.love the amount of land u have purchased and welcome...its exciting to see all u are doing.

eddienlinda
# Posted: 17 Feb 2014 23:30

Thanks cabingal3. Love the outdoors, and building

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.