Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Crazy idea??? A canvas bunkie
nicalisa
# Posted: 20 Mar 2014 23:45

Ok, I know that 2 years ago I said no more building for at least 5 years....but here we go again! We have finished all of the little touch ups for the most part.....one long weekend and we will have run out of things to do....can't have that!!

So we decided to finish half of the woodshed into a bunkie as we don't have much room for guests in our tiny cabin!

We had thought that we would put in the floor, and for the first 5 or so years that we would have a canvas wall tent made into a lean to design to install under the roof and on the floor.....

Thoughts??
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

hattie
# Posted: 21 Mar 2014 00:41

Hey nicalisa how are you doing?? Last I read anything from you, you were having some medical problems. I sure hope everything is okay now!!!!

nicalisa
# Posted: 21 Mar 2014 01:39

Hiya Hattie!
I am still working through the health issues, but have a new normal and am starting to get used to things now. I just have to take things much slower and deal with some yucky treatment. Long term I expect that I will be ok. I will know more in a couple of months when we see how effective the treatment is. Thanks for asking! Hugs.

Have to admit it is part of the motivation for the canvas bunkie. The original idea was to take down a bunch of saplings and debarked them then build log walls....not in the cards for me to help and I don't want to put the whole project on my hubby.

leonk
# Posted: 21 Mar 2014 10:34

I don't think it's crazy. People used to live in tents for long periods of time - prospectors and such. Nomads live in tents even today.
As long as the canvas holds... I'd use a tarp on top to extend tents life.
A B Mackie lived in a tent while building his ON log home.

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 21 Mar 2014 12:50

Great idea...probably can't be taxed either.

Seriously though, check out Your Cabin in The Woods. He talks about how to build a canvas style cabin. He uses 8 oz duck canvas. Look at page 36 of this pdf:
http://www.patriotresistance.com/your_cabin_in_the_woods.pdf

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 21 Mar 2014 13:09

Perhaps the Tent platform thread can be helpful.

nicalisa
# Posted: 21 Mar 2014 20:15

Thanks to all of you wonderful folk! I am really warming up to the idea and the potential canvas tent kitch is calling to me. Sometimes things born of necessity turn into the best happy accidents. Thanks for the reference to the threads. They are really helpful. It will make this project a short week this summer which is better for us this year. Then the rest of the summer we will be enjoying nothing more than the deck and some friends. Funny how a brush with mortality can change your perspective....in some ways I am grateful that it happened at 43, because what I have of a lifetime will be lived differently as a result.

ErinsMom
# Posted: 22 Mar 2014 06:45

hattie
# Posted: 22 Mar 2014 12:24

I'm glad to hear you are doing a bit better. I'm praying for you.

The canvas tent idea sounds great.

Quoting: TheCabinCalls
probably can't be taxed either.

Good point, and I bet you are right!! Another plus for the canvas tent idea.

old243
# Posted: 22 Mar 2014 16:07

If you don't need to have it in place all the time . How would a retractable awning, like is used on a mobile home, work There are canvas or mesh surrounds , available . When you don't need it roll it up. Also a good shady spot to sit on a sunny or rainy day. Old 243

razmichael
# Posted: 22 Mar 2014 19:32

nicalisa,
If you have not seen this already, here is a Canadian company providing some "not your average" tents for glamorous living:
Deluxe Wall Tents

Not cheap but could give you some ideas of what can be done. They sell everything you might need or just frames. Take a look at the customer pictures - there are some nice setups
Pictures

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.