Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / SOCAL Desert Cabins - LOVE THE DESERT! Need ideas on projects
stacymyjane
# Posted: 2 May 2010 21:53

We just bought a 5 acre parcel in Landers, CA and trying to fix up the 480sq. ft. cabin. We have water, but no electricity. We are thinking about solar, but we have RVs and don't think it would be enough to power the cabin and RVs. We have SO much to do! Electricity, fencing, build a bathroom...and thinking of building it outside. Reaching out to all you veteran desert cabin owners for advice on renovation, fencing, etc. Share your stories!
new siding
new siding
1930 Wedgewood stove!
1930 Wedgewood stove!
cabin
cabin

steveqvs
# Posted: 2 May 2010 23:21

A couple of batteries, a small solar panel and a gas generator and you could probably eek out the power you need for a weekend!

Anonymous
# Posted: 3 May 2010 11:31

Thanks steveqvs...we do have a generator and it has worked really well, but really don't like the noise.

stacymyjane
# Posted: 3 May 2010 11:34

oops...the Anonymous was me..LOL!

Borrego
# Posted: 23 May 2010 18:28

We got a 5 acre lot in SoCal last fall and have yet to build on it, and just like you we have water, but no elec... Are you in one of those old homesteaded communities also?

Borrego
# Posted: 23 May 2010 18:32

Oh, a picture.....
P1010181.JPG
P1010181.JPG

stacymyjane
# Posted: 24 May 2010 11:43

Borrego: Thanks for the pic...you have a nice plot..with some hills around you. Yes, I think we're in one of the old ones. The owner before us had it since the 50's. So, what do you think about solar? I think it would cost too much.

Borrego
# Posted: 24 May 2010 21:06

No, I've checked into it, as this will be our power source. It can be very inexpensive as long as you aren't planning to power AC or electric stove. You should want to use propane for your heat, fridge etc.. and power up some receptacles and lights with your solar. It can go from a few hundred bucks on up - check this site for more info or keep this thread going!

stacymyjane
# Posted: 25 May 2010 11:15

Thanks for the advice! Yes, I want to try it, especially since it will cost us about $5k to get electricity going. I wonder though, if the solar would run what we need for the RVs we bring out. Right now there are only two, but friends may be coming soon with more rvs. Also, where do you start with the solar setup?

stacymyjane
# Posted: 25 May 2010 11:32

Borrego: How is the wind where you are and are you by Landers? or Johnson Valley?

Borrego
# Posted: 25 May 2010 19:35

Here's a couple sites with solar info:
http://www.wind-sun.com/ForumVB/forumdisplay.php?f=20
http://www.freewebs.com/simplesolarhomesteading/

We are down in the Anza Borrego desert, the wind is not too bad usually pretty calm, but it can kick up as you know!

stacymyjane
# Posted: 25 May 2010 19:43

Huell Howser just did a segment on Anza Borrego and it was really interesting. Thanks for the solar websites! Appreciate it. We are going out this weekend to work some more on the cabin. Still have some siding to do. Keep me posted as to how you do with your property. Would love to see more pics!

stacymyjane
# Posted: 30 Sep 2010 00:05

Been working on more siding! It's so slow renovating when you can't get out there as much as you want. We rebuilt our water supply lines and is running very nice!

Anyone want to share their so. cal desert renovation ideas? Would LOVE to hear them!
DSC_0253.JPG
DSC_0253.JPG

steveqvs
# Posted: 30 Sep 2010 20:44

The desert is 180 degrees different from my land. That said I loved visiting Arizona and Utah this past summer. So much open space. But I am a forest guy and I just can't add anything useful for your thread! <grin>. I do like your place. It looks isolated and you can't beat that.

Borrego
# Posted: 30 Sep 2010 22:06

What did you use for siding, and did you wrap underneath? And what about the inside? Paneling, drywall or what? We're heading out next weekend to start building our first phase!

stacymyjane
# Posted: 5 Oct 2010 13:59

Hi Borrego!
We used T1 siding and we didn't do anything underneath. The inside has paneling and has worked pretty well so far. Insulation between the siding and the paneling inside. Concrete floor, which we are in the process of removing the linoleum from. (what a pain that is!)

Next thing is the roof. We're just going to use the roll type. cheapest there is.

Also, the ceiling is a dropped ceiling with white (sawdust compressed) boards held together with aluminum framing. If you remove one, you see all the studs and insulation. I guess that will work ok for now. We need to replace the roof and then work on the fascia boards outside and the eves. Then the windows...then the ceiling.

Here are some pics of the inside before we started working on it.

stacymyjane
# Posted: 5 Oct 2010 14:13

Here are some pics of the inside of the cabin
southwest side of cabin
southwest side of cabin
west view of cabin
west view of cabin
sink, stove, and view to the east
sink, stove, and view to the east
Ceiling of cabin
Ceiling of cabin

stacymyjane
# Posted: 5 Oct 2010 14:18

oh..wanted to add this cabin is 480 sq. ft

stacymyjane
# Posted: 5 Oct 2010 14:24

here are some more pics..kind of the same..but these give a little better idea of how big it is. This is how it looked when we bought it. We have since only kept one bed, and one couch. (there were 3!)
ne_view.jpg
ne_view.jpg
east_view.jpg
east_view.jpg
southwest_view.jpg
southwest_view.jpg
south_view.jpg
south_view.jpg

stacymyjane
# Posted: 5 Oct 2010 14:28

oh yeah...found out that fencing would cost minimum of $6000 just for the supplies (chain link) and that wouldn't include gates. That would be for 2 1/2 acres..10,000 sq. ft. or 330 linear (wide) and 660 linear (long). To get one installed with supplies will be between $11K and $15K! I guess we are going to wait on the fence. Geez!

stacymyjane
# Posted: 5 Oct 2010 14:34

Anyone know where we can get a Quonset hut cheap? Borrego...have you heard about any? We thought that might be better than a container, but not ruling that out either...for storage.

Moontreeranch
# Posted: 30 Nov 2010 10:39

You have water ...and in the desert that is great...I put in a small 80 watt PV system in our NM cabin. By using LED lights the system is sized small.

here is a link to my lights.

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 30 Nov 2010 13:30 - Edited by: MikeOnBike

Quoting: stacymyjane
That would be for 2 1/2 acres..10,000 sq. ft. or 330 linear (wide) and 660 linear (long).

330x660 is 5 acres. Are you only going to fence 2 1/2 acres? If you fence the entire lot you will need 1980ft. or about .375 mi.

Around here installed barbwire fence is about $10,000 a mile. Your quotes seem really high. What kind of fence are you planning?

Our gates are 16' and cost ~$225 each in materials, not counting the stone bucks.

Inner Gate
Inner Gate
Outer Gate
Outer Gate

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.