Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / 60766244's First cabin called "Purpose" - southern, Western Australia
<< . 1 . 2 .
# Posted: 3 May 2014 05:29

My day in one photo...
Sanding out all excess bog, then painting the window structures of two of the windows as well as other exposed steel where mods had been done.
The rustguard primer paint goes on very thick, though it's very runny at the same time and gets into everything.
Neat stuff.
That red drill brush is nearly worn so I'll need a new one for the next window and door in.
Came out like a snowman after all the sanding back.
Going to get this end waterproof before opening the new door or doing the next skylight.
Lovely lovely looking. The paint does such a magic job of tying it in.
Lovely lovely looking. The paint does such a magic job of tying it in.

Sarahax
# Posted: 8 May 2014 08:18

Hi I am so impressed by your build, looks really sturdy. Please keep posting - I'm looking forward to seeing how it looks in the landscape.

# Posted: 12 May 2014 06:13

Thanks Sarahax! I should hope this place well outlasts me. It's solid alright, the most fragile thing on it is the paint! Long as the rust is kept away then it's a very tough structure.

Been really busy for a bit, but I have some posts for you.
Continued with the saga known as Door.
Cut a new section out to allow my fancy-pants new lock system to work in the door.
Not going to mount it until I'm finished bashing the door about.
Also cut in and welded/sealed the mini window in the entry door!
Tomorrow will clean up and paint that too.
Also added another rung to my wall-ladder and did a fair bit of grinding.
Added a little hood to the door too but forgot to grab a photo.
Window in!
Window in!
Slowly getting there
Slowly getting there
Lots and lots of fiddling!
Lots and lots of fiddling!
Another step added.
Another step added.

# Posted: 12 May 2014 06:16

Had a long solid week of heavy rain! Spent the best part of it keeping things weatherproof and being frustrated by waiting to do more things!
Waterproofing the cabin better until my big glass comes.
Waterproofing the cabin better until my big glass comes.
Bit dark in here until the skylights go in.
Bit dark in here until the skylights go in.
The door has a little hood now to further waterproof.
The door has a little hood now to further waterproof.
Playing with studwork concepts...
Playing with studwork concepts...

# Posted: 12 May 2014 06:20

Yesterday was a good day for it. Spent most of the day working towards finishing the large list of chores mum had planned for Mothers day, but once conquered, I managed to sneak a skylight into the roof before the weather became unruly.
The last skylight went in and the roof had sagged once cut. It wasn't much, but I noticed it once the rains came.
This time I was determined to provide a solution.
Grabbed two of my work benches, and stacked one on top of another, then found two milk crates, and jack stands, then two screw-scissor jacks and a sturdy plank of wood.
Used them to wind the roof up, and once cut make it sit on a nicely up and convex, saving any pooling water like my first attempt at a skylight that I've been mad at since it went in.
It's a mad, crazy fix, but it worked a charm.
Amazing what you can flick together when you've a shed full of junk and good tools. ;)
Speaking of mess, the containers really becoming a pit of rubbish. I need to get keen on a clean and sort soon! (Anyone love cleaning and sorting?!?)
Nice to have another light and air source put together.
Things getting a little messy inside.
Things getting a little messy inside.
Crazy way to get things propped up.
Crazy way to get things propped up.
Getting the box in there...
Getting the box in there...
All in tidy and neat.
All in tidy and neat.

# Posted: 12 May 2014 06:26

There's the original skylight I put in, bit of water doing a naughty and not happy with the style of it.
All changed in less that an hour and a half.
Once the sealant cures I'll paint it tomorrow and yesterdays one that I painted up today will get the whirlybird added too it!
Just keep on hoping for more sunshine to finally finish the structural welding, the big task being the "Hallway door" - maybe in tomorrow if all rolls on sweetly.

That's it for now. All caught up.
Hoorah!
Hoorah!
The first skylight setup that I hate...
The first skylight setup that I hate...
Ew!
Ew!
Success! This one took a mere hour to put in and I needed to do more fabrication too. Easy as!
Success! This one took a mere hour to put in and I needed to do more fabrication too. Easy as!

# Posted: 13 May 2014 05:18

Good day today. Dealt with all the skylight issues other than some final painting to be done tomorrow.
Both skylights/whirlibirds are in, and so is one vent.
Did loads of painting today.
Still waiting for that super-sunny day to do the door and know I'm not going to have to panic and rush to get it done.
Plans for tomorrow include getting the flue gear to put a chimney through my ceiling and then I can stay away from walking on the roof for a nice long while!
Hopes to get the other three or four vents in too.
Lovely.
Strong weld in...
Strong weld in...
Looks good from here. Will use bug-mesh over the vent to stop any unwanted visitors.
Looks good from here. Will use bug-mesh over the vent to stop any unwanted visitors.
Flush to the corrugations.
Flush to the corrugations.
All pretty and painted.
All pretty and painted.

# Posted: 13 May 2014 05:26

More photos...
Door all cleaned up.
Door all cleaned up.
Painted up...
Painted up...
Mounting plate attached and sealed in.
Mounting plate attached and sealed in.
Both whirlybirds attached!
Both whirlybirds attached!

cabingal3
# Posted: 13 May 2014 05:49

60766244 -its looking good.u are hard at this project.
lots of new needed items.love the color.looking good.

# Posted: 16 May 2014 01:38

Thanks Cabingal3! It's been raining a lot so progress is being held back.
I got a flue system today, but can't install it until the rains cease!
Also found a really neat little portable gas cooker with a low pressure system and a grill included! I'll post pictures of that once I get to building a kitchen further down the line...
Happy cabining everyone!
I've just been reading the "Break ins..." thread... Seems like this place of mine should be pretty secure. ;)
Been a couple of days of turmoil, but I'll put some more posts tonight.

# Posted: 17 May 2014 02:03

Had a frustrating day two days back with the cheapy welder of mine dying. I got another cheapy to get me through the contract.
The new one is "too hot" all the time and a huge pain to weld thin stuff with, the switch system isn't very good so it's entirely ineffective sometimes and likes to burn holes.
When time and money allows I'll get both repaired/modified to make them excellent.
I've gotten all four vents situated and welded up now.
I also cut and welded the "Hallway" door in yesterday.
Went in second go and then spent the rest of the day seam welding it in good and attempting not to burn things with that darn welder.
Tomorrow will be sealing/painting all these new welds and then blocking the door hole for transport when it gets moved south.
After that it's stud-work in and working out where to mount my chimney setup!
Keep saying it, but really really looking forward to putting away the grinder and welder!
Vents all in
Vents all in
Vents all in...
Vents all in...
Door cut out
Door cut out
Door frame put in
Door frame put in

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.