Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / New Member...expanding on bought cabin.
LastOutlaw
# Posted: 5 Aug 2014 09:47

Im a new member and recently bought land and a cabin in SE Oklahoma. Can't be there enough for my liking. I have a lot of work to do there. The whole place is single wall construction. I believe it was built by someone for free or very close to free.
The front half was framed out of Cedar timbers. Minimal purchased lumber. the back half is an add-on framed from 1 inch metal square stock welded together then covered with metal roofing material.
I am adding another section for storage framed similar to a house from store bought lumber.
Franken-cabin.
My little cabin
My little cabin
First trip after purchase. Lots of clean-up to do.
First trip after purchase. Lots of clean-up to do.
Inside cedar framing
Inside cedar framing

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 5 Aug 2014 10:31

Cool place and good taste in trucks too. (Toyota dealer tech 25+ yrs)

LastOutlaw
# Posted: 5 Aug 2014 12:30

Thanks, TMT. I have a lot of work to do there. Love my Tacoma...best truck i've ever owned.

neb
# Posted: 5 Aug 2014 13:54

Looks like a great spot for a cabin. As far trucks go they are a very good truck and maybe someday I will know first hand,

Wilbour
# Posted: 5 Aug 2014 14:16

I too have lots of work fixing what was done wrong by the previous owner. Friends keep telling ne how to get her done fast but perhaps a lot of the fun is in working on it slowly . The longer it takes the more time i have to see other ways of doing the job

LastOutlaw
# Posted: 5 Aug 2014 14:31

Well, I cant say it was done wrong in my cabin's case just differently.
The framing is much the same as a home builder would have done but the builder utilized cedar rather than 2x4. This leaves the surfaces uneven rather than smooth and even like 2x4. I want to insulate this room before winter if I have the time and money but the uneven surfaces may make it tough to use drywall or any other non flexible interior siding.

Don_P
# Posted: 5 Aug 2014 21:28

You could nail up framing lumber studs to accept your drywall or whatever. Once the framing is up run a straightedge up and down across several framing members and plane the poles out of the way where they protrude.

LastOutlaw
# Posted: 20 Aug 2014 20:29

Sounds like the right idea Don.

LastOutlaw
# Posted: 20 Aug 2014 20:38

Well I added some gutter and tanks to harvest rainwater. I'm real excited about this. I've been hauling water in and it really sux. Will still haul in water to drink but it will be nice not to have to radically conserve to make it through a weekend.[img=null]null[/img]
gutters
gutters

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 20 Aug 2014 21:40

I really like your camp....and great fire pit.and really like ya tacoas well... I have a 4 door long bed 4x4 one..just like it...

LastOutlaw
# Posted: 21 Aug 2014 13:06 - Edited by: LastOutlaw

TH... thanks... I'm wishing I had bought a 4x4 version of the taco. Can't trade it now as I'm paid off. I can't believe what they are wanting for the new 4x4 versions today. The fire pit was already built but we are working on the surrounding area now. I did recently buy an older k5 for use in bad weather to still be able to get to the cabin. We are trying to hurry the camp into a self suffecient off grid camp. We would like to retire there at some point.
PS...lotta turkey there!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.