Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / OK, I missed the window of opportunity...
ChuckDynasty
# Posted: 25 Aug 2014 15:42 - Edited by: ChuckDynasty

for this year which is very disappointing. I can blame it on the spring rains, birthdays, anniversaries, kids or being 4 hours away but in reality it was probably due to not having a solid plan. I don't intend to squander another summer so although I'm not starting to build now this late in the year and rush it I know I need to have a solid plan in place, and advice. Posting here puts me on notice to move my rear end or go away. So the preparation begins now in advance for the spring build. More to follow.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 25 Aug 2014 16:19

Do a concrete foundation this year. Then hit it hard next spring. I lived 5.5 hours from mine, so anytime I went, it was for a while and loads of tools, gear, lumber etc plus the many trips into town, which is a 45 minute 25 mile trip each way. I would have a small crew of buddies who loved to help, I fed them well.

ChuckDynasty
# Posted: 25 Aug 2014 16:29

I had been looking for property on and off for 3 or 4 years and discovered land ain't cheap...especially if water is involved and I had to have some kind of water on it, had to, right?. Well I found that land ain't cheap even if water is not on it...unless it's an over-grown skeeter-infested unusable swamp on a unmaintained private road that had an association. (had enough of associations...forget about it) After many solitary (I may be lone wolf material) day trips I found a beautiful open, surrounded by trees on three sides, swampless parcel on a 4 season town maintained dirt road that I could use even if only for camping in my '74 Apache popup and bought it. OK, so I don't have an ocean or a lake or a river or even a SEASONAL stream but I have a really nice seven acres that was pasture until the 80's when a farm was subdivided...but I've found out I have ground water! Just 18" down I hit water digging post holes for fencing! Not the same I know and I wish I didn't find it but well as someone else said it is what it is. Please stay tuned because I'll be asking for some advice to put together my master plan.

ChuckDynasty
# Posted: 25 Aug 2014 16:49

Town maintained road

Water, but not mine it's neighbors across the street
100_5183.JPG
100_5183.JPG
100_5184.JPG
100_5184.JPG
100_5186.JPG
100_5186.JPG
100_5188.JPG
100_5188.JPG

ChuckDynasty
# Posted: 25 Aug 2014 16:52 - Edited by: ChuckDynasty

Camping last fall. I didn't drag the Apache up until this summer.
Looking out from my campsite
Tested sleeping in car, temps in 30's worked out well.
Small amount of fuel to boil water in kettle and heat food.
100_5191.JPG
100_5191.JPG
100_5192.JPG
100_5192.JPG
100_5193.JPG
100_5193.JPG
100_5195.JPG
100_5195.JPG

ChuckDynasty
# Posted: 25 Aug 2014 16:56 - Edited by: ChuckDynasty

Some random pics
100_5200.JPG
100_5200.JPG
100_5201.JPG
100_5201.JPG
100_5202.JPG
100_5202.JPG

leonk
# Posted: 25 Aug 2014 17:36

awesome place, nice kettle, scary SOG

naturelover66
# Posted: 25 Aug 2014 17:40

Beautiful view and property!!

ChuckDynasty
# Posted: 25 Aug 2014 20:44

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
Do a concrete foundation this year.

I think concrete would be overkill for what I want to do.

I'm half an hour from a big town with big box stores. I did 130 or so feet of fencing. Just a pressure treated 2x4 post with two pt 2x4 rails. Not much of a fence but I wanted to close an opening between my field and a vacant neighboring field. I want to plant along the fence with a variety of plantings to create a natural border so went the fence is gone I won't need a fence. But anyway it was great to be able place an order online and have it waiting for me 30 minutes south of my property instead of hauling it from home.

I'll be doing all of this solo so I want small and simple and possibly movable.

Quoting: leonk
nice kettle, scary SOG

The kettle is great. This was my first use of it and it needed just a couple of pine cones and small sticks to boil water in just a few minutes. After the water boiled I put the mess kit over the coals to heat my meal. Highly recommend the kettle. I have several items to make water potable and this is one of them.

I don't have a firearm so I keep the SOG handy. Easy to backpack too.

Thanks NL66

Wilbour
# Posted: 25 Aug 2014 21:15

My advive, every time I get frustrated by the setbacks, I am surprised by the sober second thought. That is to say, it gives me more time to think and rethink for the better.

ChuckDynasty
# Posted: 25 Aug 2014 21:26 - Edited by: ChuckDynasty

What I want hasn't really changed that much from my original ideas but I have come across many good ideas on this site that I'll use.

I'm going to take a permit out for a 12x16 shed. I want to be able to put the Apache for winter storage at least initially, maybe a shed roof off the shed later on to protect it from the snow if I want to sped some winter time up there.

I wand to build on skids and I want the skids on gravel.

Reasons for skids:
Simple, easy to level, High water table, working by myself, fast, inexpensive, maybe easier to move if I ever wanted to which brings me to this...

I've been trying to get my wife to the property to have some alone time and for her opinion on where the build site could be. We haven't been able to make this happen. And now I'm wondering if I decide to build something larger in the future will I have to move this shed from the chosen site. This weekend is out so maybe next weekend we'll both get up there.

Regarding gravel...

1.) I was going to build a 2x6 frame that would extend beyond the shed footprint and have 5 tons of or whatever it would take of gravel dumped within the frame...talked to a guy up there and as long as the ground isn't soggy not a problem and under a couple of hundred dollars. Then I saw this other way and now I'm considering way #2

2.) Just remove the sod and a few inches of top soil and fill with gravel in a area just a little larger than the length and width of each skid.

Any recommendations?

ChuckDynasty
# Posted: 25 Aug 2014 21:41

Next questions I have would be:

What size lumber to use for the two skids?

Are the skids placed right to the outside edge of building...12' from outside edge to outside edge?

Salty Craig
# Posted: 25 Aug 2014 21:59

I used flat 4" cinder blocks under my cabin. Spaced very close. 4x4 runners are industry standard unless you plan to drag it 20 miles. Then you mite wanna tack horseshoes underneath. 8' wide=2 runners, 10' wide=3 runners, 12 wide=3 runners, 14-16 wide=4 runners. I prefer 2x6 floor joist on 16" centers. Wouldn't consider smaller. For sub flooring, I prefer Advantec. I painted the underside of mine with latex to add another layer of weather resistance. I always frame with 2x6. Live every day like it's your last, and build like you will live forever!!

Salty
Framing
Framing
Nearly finished
Nearly finished

duster
# Posted: 27 Aug 2014 14:48

For my floor I used 2x6s, 2' on centre and mounted in deck blocks for my shed, but it's only 6x8.

creeky
# Posted: 28 Aug 2014 18:04

hey chuck you might want to have a good look at some of Owen Christensen's builds. He's done a lot of cabins on skids. but salty seems to have it covered.

If you do gravel, 1 or 2, i'd suggest you put fabric underneath the gravel first. Keeps it from migrating.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.