Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Our Pod
Pookie129
# Posted: 12 Oct 2014 18:10 - Edited by: Pookie129

Was about as excited as a person can be.....as we "launched" our pod this weekend and couldn't be happier.

Way larger than I thought it would be, and way warmer than I imagined in minus 5 and I haven't even used the generator or got it hooked up to hydro yet.

The company we bought it from, Algonquin Pod Company, were amazing, helpful and accommodating (better yet, a father/son local company, a real bunch of hardworking guys) - even wiring it up for our generator until we bring hydro to the property (now, we may never need too...lol..lol). I can't say enough about how great they were, never failing to email, send updates, keep in touch, respond, etc.

We have a lot of work left to do on the surround pad/area, landscaping, fire pit, etc and some of it will need to be left for next season but we managed to gussy it up for some fall/winter trips so we can still enjoy the property this winter without freezing our butts off in the non insulated, non winterized cabin. Game trail is about 20 feet behind pod and front deck has amazing views of the stars - not sure how I got so lucky, but darn glad I am...lol.

Although I wish I had the skill to build or create something like this - plain and simple, I don't, and therefore I am glad that people like Craig and David Kelley exist in the world...lol..lol.

Will post updates as work continues over the fall winter and spring

Plenty to be thankful for - I guess this is why they call it Thanksgiving
Algonquin Pod Company - Photo 1
Algonquin Pod Company - Photo 1
Algonquin Pod Company - Photo 2
Algonquin Pod Company - Photo 2

bigriver
# Posted: 12 Oct 2014 19:34

Your Pod cabin looks beautiful.

Cosby
# Posted: 12 Oct 2014 21:18

Oh my gosh... that is incredibly cute. Love it

horaceunit
# Posted: 12 Oct 2014 21:24

Really nice little place. Don't worry you can do whatever you put your mind to. I agree that I probably wouldn't try to build a house myself, but the cabin I got I am going to have to do a lot of work to myself. Most of which I have never done, but I just fixed a hole in the roof and now I know I'm going to have to rebuild the side overhanging roof entirely next spring. And the roof will have to be re-shingled (with 2 layers of shingles removed) or a metal roof put on. Make some local friends, especially ones who have cabins near yours. You'll get lots of good advice!

Pookie129
# Posted: 13 Oct 2014 08:04

Horace, if you have ever seen me use a can opener, you might reconsider your faith and optimism but I do know what you are saying and that is the long term goal, make friends, learn trades and help each other.

Cosby and Bigriver thanks very much - we are so happy and thrilled.

It is amazing what a few pieces of wood, nails and nature can do for ones disposition, attitude and mental health.

sweet75
# Posted: 16 Oct 2014 09:23

Love this!
How much does one of these cost?

Pookie129
# Posted: 16 Oct 2014 15:24

It all depends on your wants, customization and size but costs range from 6900 and up.

We are starting another project with them over winter for a "watershed" structure (compost toilet, shower, washing area for clothes and possibly a sauna).....I may never leave the woods again...lol..lol.

After a week of having the structure, we are still amazed at the workmanship and quality, even the flooring I got to choose - beautiful greyish barnboard style floor and the wall sconces. The fact that they wired it for both our generator and set up for electrical was so helpful and gives us a lot of flexibility as we don't have to rush hydro now but we are also prepared for when we do bring it to the property line.

We are also thinking about a hunt shack - field dressing table, bow/gun storage, bunk, etc. but want the watershed completed first.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.