Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / 20x30 in Bastrop TX
Lileague
# Posted: 14 Oct 2014 23:42

Hi all, got tired of living in a big house with a big mortgage and a big tax bill. After years of saving I'm finally ready to go small. I recently bought a three acre unrestricted property in Bastrop TX that I will build my dream home on. I decided on a 20x30 structure that will be my permanent home. I am however a full time police officer but will be learning skills as I complete the majority of this project on my own (as time permits). This is a huge adventure for me and I'd like to share my progress along the way.

Lileague
# Posted: 14 Oct 2014 23:48

Some pictures of the property before getting started..
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 15 Oct 2014 01:55

Are you going off-the-grid or do you have utility hookups and such? Best wishes with your project! Have you lived in Texas or just moved here?

Shadyacres
# Posted: 15 Oct 2014 05:56

Good Luck on your journey. I also am in the process of finishing a 20 X 30 in PA. Take plenty of pictures along the way so we can enjoy your build with you. Welcome aboard.

beachman
# Posted: 15 Oct 2014 06:41

Good luck with the project. Looking forward to the pictures. We built a similar size in NB Canada as a cottage - not quite as long, 25ft. My only regret is one more bedroom and a back porch. This would mean an additional 12 ft length and moving the bathroom sideways. May do this one day? You will find some great information and helpful friends here.

Lileague
# Posted: 15 Oct 2014 08:42

Julie, I just had a well dug and will have electric on the property but I do plan to have a small solar backup when finished. I moved to TX about 5 years ago but this will be my first home in the Bastrop area.

jrbarnard
# Posted: 15 Oct 2014 08:55 - Edited by: jrbarnard

Hey Lileague,

We are living in Round Rock, currently, but are looking in the Bastrop area for 1-whatever acres ourselves. We want to build a house, not a cabin, so not the same thing.. heh.. but gotta have high speed internet and city water (wife does not want a water well.. heh). I work from home a lot so have to have either DSL or Cable.. ;)

I know.. not a small cabin issue, but thought I would say hello anyway;)

Already have my "cabin" in Rocksprings!

Oh, mind if I ask how much the well was and how deep they had to dig?

Also interested in the septic you go with.

Russ

Lileague
# Posted: 15 Oct 2014 10:27

Russ, the well was dig to 320 ft and most guys in the area are charging around $20/ft. It was a painless process and they got it done in 2 days. I for one am very happy to be off city water.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

jrbarnard
# Posted: 15 Oct 2014 10:34

That is about the same cost as I get quoted at my ranch.. heh, but we have to go like 500-700 ft deep.

My wife says she does not want a well... she sees too many reports on water impurities.. lol

That is okay with me, gotta let her win a few ;)

Still looking as we have 2 small children and she wants a place that is closer to population ;)

Anyway, keep the pics coming!

Russ

Lileague
# Posted: 16 Oct 2014 21:09

Piers set and framing started. Basic floor plan sketched up.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.