Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Worth building? Any suggestions
Alan K
# Posted: 1 Nov 2014 15:14 - Edited by: Alan K

Hi Folks,

Attached is a "very crude" plan of my intended build. Would appreciate any feedback.... Positive / Negative. Something I don't see, that you do, that may lead to a problem.

I'd love to know, before I start.

Many Thanks
My Plan
My Plan

Just
# Posted: 1 Nov 2014 16:59

built in 2000 as a 3 season cottage , Slab on grade foundation .
total cost $25000 .00 including septic, well ,hydro plus land .
Snapshot_20141101_13.jpg
Snapshot_20141101_13.jpg
cottage_aug_30.jpg
cottage_aug_30.jpg

Alan K
# Posted: 1 Nov 2014 17:23

Nice Build Just,

I like the cabinetry in the kitchen.... Built ? Bought? Other?

Take Care

Just
# Posted: 1 Nov 2014 22:16

White ash trim , jams , and cabinetry .Cut from our bush.Small loft above the bath and hall . Kids love a loft.
tess_is_up.jpg
tess_is_up.jpg

bldginsp
# Posted: 1 Nov 2014 22:31 - Edited by: bldginsp

Alan- looks to me like a practical arrangement. One thing is, a lot of closets in the bedrooms, almost none outside. I should talk- I have no closets on my 300 sq ft floor plan, I plan to put in built in cabinets. Can't have too much storage.

Note that for a toilet you should have 30" width at the toilet itself (15" each side from center), and 24 " in front of the toilet. Looks like you are close.

Looks like a comfy cabin to me!

Alan K
# Posted: 2 Nov 2014 07:50

Hi Bldginsp,

Funny you should mention closet / cabinets. Now that you mentioned it. I think I didn't really consider them was due to me drawing the idea in my current kitchen, which is way overkilled with cabinets. (22 cabinets 8 drawers) .

But thanks for pointing that out. My luck, I would of built, and then wondered where to put stuff.

bldginsp
# Posted: 2 Nov 2014 08:32

Cabinets are a fine way to provide your storage space just like closets, and both take up floor space. Difference is it's easier to build a big closet than to build a cabinet. 6 is one half dozen of the other.

creeky
# Posted: 2 Nov 2014 12:12

nice design. I like how the bedrooms both have excellent access to the washroom.

Cabinets are more efficient storage than closets. 3/4 inch walls vs 4" to start. Drawers ... On my last reno I built cabinets into closets. Worked the ticket.

Alan K
# Posted: 2 Nov 2014 12:27

Thanks for the feedback creeky,

There actually are cabinets planned for the kitchen area. I think in the process of diagraming it, I was more focused on living area and not thinking too much of storage.

Once again Thanks

creeky
# Posted: 2 Nov 2014 13:48

heck. seasonal storage at the cabin is what out buildings are for. I thought your plan was set for seasonal storage. my .02.

but my two thumbs go up for drawers. I have a rule now that all lower cabinets in a kitchen are drawers. Same space. More access.

Even for closets... I put a drawer on the floor in the front door (apologies to dr. seuss) closet of my last house. I went from shoes you couldn't find to 18 pairs of shoes and boots easily found. Pull out the drawer... there they are. Not to mention mitts, gloves, scarves that fell off the hanger...

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.