Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / 14x24 or 16x24 cabin with pier and post
drewits
# Posted: 7 Jul 2010 17:25

Does anyone have a detailed step by step description of their building process with pictures for a cabin this size? I saw one somewhere but can't figure out where.

nathanprincipe
# Posted: 9 Jul 2010 10:12

I am building a 17'x 24' cabin on pier and beam, but I havent uploaded the pics to this site yet, but to give you an idea heres what I did

I set 12 total 4x4 post ( should have been 6x6 looking back on it) 8' on center in a grid pattern ( 3 rows of four) I dug the holes till i hit a hard clay bottom which was approx 36" deep in my case, I then determined the height of the cabin and pulled a line level to mark my cuts. After all the posts were cut off level I attached a "simpson strong tie" bracket that fits a 4x4 post and recieves a double 2x, I had 3 double 2x12 pt girders that sat on top of the post which would later support all my floor joists. On a side note I later added 4x6 posts in between each existing 4x4 post to reinforce the load, also my cabin sits high enough off the ground that it was neccessary to add diagnol reinforcements inbetween teh post to stop the swaying movement. The rest of the cabin is being built with basic framing principals

islandguy
# Posted: 11 Jul 2010 12:58

my cabin is 16x24, and its building is more or less documented on this site under "also building a cabin." I didnt use any plans, just basic framing and building princibles. I used a pier foundation as well. I placed mobile home leveling blocks on beds of crushed and packed gravel in holes dug down about a foot. Piers that were lower got 2 blocks stacked one on top of the other to come level higher spots which only needed one block. These blocks are 2 foot by 2 foot, 4 inches thick, and weight abou 200 lbs each, and cost about $20 each. I put 12 of these piers in to support 3 "skids" of 6x6 pressure treated beams, which supported my floor joists. BTW, why 17 feet? typically you want to work with multiples of 4 feet to allow stock lumber sizes?

nathanprincipe
# Posted: 12 Jul 2010 00:00

Islandguy, It was a last minute dicision, the origional size was going to be 16x24, but I started to doubt my confidence that I set all my piers and beams 100% square and didnt want the two outer beams ( which are pretty close to the perimeter of the floor) to show my error. I could have done 16' and been ok, but its hard to have complete confidence seeing this is my first build

RickandRandy
# Posted: 4 Aug 2010 10:15

Keep us apprised of your progress Nathan!
R&R

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.