Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / red cedar bar with liquid glass question
laudy
# Posted: 29 Jan 2015 11:40

going to build a bar out of red cedar for my new lodge. I will use the same red cedar for the niobara river here in Nebraska that I used on the rest of the lodge. I am going to cut down high power rifle cases and embed the bottoms of the case in the bar top and then pour the liquid glass. I see there are topics on the internet but I thought I might get some more knowledge here.
after a recent snow
after a recent snow
ready for sealer
ready for sealer
end wall with elk antlers and wood stove
end wall with elk antlers and wood stove

FishHog
# Posted: 29 Jan 2015 15:04

I've done something similar but used West Marine Epoxy for the top coat. Worked great, looked great.
Nice looking place, makes me want to go to the cottage.

Don_P
# Posted: 29 Jan 2015 22:19

I've used a clear no-blush epoxy that worked well. When I was working in the furniture plant a board come through with a nicely embedded and planed jacketed bullet in it. I got it centered up in a desk top apron. Quality control came back up the line several hours later, with high praise, he thought it was cool too.

A friend who is a high end cabinetmaker got one of those special jobs not too long ago. He was sent to look for wood at the warehouses of a dismantling and reclamation company. he found some really neat old oak flooring that had metal seals embedded in the floor from it's days as a cotton warehouse. These would be on the bales and over the years got embedded in the floor. That was prior to Thomas Edison using the building as his laboratory. The story accompanying this wood was getting good. Then I started thinking about what experiments Mr Edison might have conducted in that lab and whether I'd really want that wood in my house, great story or no. Different strokes.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.