Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / 12x12 Low Cost Portable Cabin
UpNorth
# Posted: 9 Apr 2015 21:03

I have been watching this site for about 5 years now. I really enjoy all the projects, ideas and discussion.

We have 20 acres in northern Michigan. We're not at a place yet to build but we have been enjoying our property. 1st we parked a 8x32 FEMA trailer on our property. We used it for about 3 years before we sold it. The property set for 2 years and this last summer I was itching to get back to it. I built this 12x12 portable cabin in my back yard for about $1000.00 and hauled it up.

The walls, floor and roof folds up in 6'x6' sections. It tears down in about an hour. I built it, folded it up, hauled it to our property and bolted it back up.

It set up in about 3 hours with just me and my wife. It's not pretty but it keeps us out of the weather. It will hold us over until we're ready to build. Thought I'd share it.
Building in the drive.
Building in the drive.
Placed on our property
Placed on our property
Floor & walls going up
Floor & walls going up
Inside picture
Inside picture

UpNorth
# Posted: 9 Apr 2015 21:12

A few more pics.
Kitchen/Dining
Kitchen/Dining
Foam board on the walls.
Foam board on the walls.
Snow during deer camp
Snow during deer camp
Picture during the build
Picture during the build

AK Seabee
# Posted: 9 Apr 2015 21:36

Great build. My closest neighbor (3/4 mile away 😎) built almost the same way. 12x 16 prefabricated at home and put it together on his 20 acres in no time.
He has plenty of time to enjoy his place.

BryanL
# Posted: 9 Apr 2015 21:57

I love the simplicity of the bunks. What do you use for mattresses?

BryanL
# Posted: 9 Apr 2015 22:02

Another question, how thick is the foam board and does it provide enough insulation for the winter? Did you keep an open cavity between the insulation and the outside walls? I see you put it up over the studs instead of in between and against the walls. Any reason for doing so? I'm a few weeks away from insulating my cabin and am interested in your concept here.

UpNorth
# Posted: 9 Apr 2015 22:20

BryanL

For the bunks right now we're just using memory foam with a sleeping bag. We haven't put anything permeate for them yet. The bunks were simple to keep this on a small budget.

I was going to place foam insulation between the studs but opted not to because we don't really use it the winter except for hunting season. Also to keep cost down. Last time we were up in was mid 20s and we used a small electric heater that kept it around 60 degrees through the night. I also have a propane Mr. Heater I'd fire up in the morning and it warmed it up to 75 in minutes. If it's mid 30s outside the electric heater will keep it the 70s inside.
Small electric heater.
Small electric heater.

BryanL
# Posted: 9 Apr 2015 22:28

I like your idea. What was the R value of your foam boards, or how thick? I see it is from Lowes, can't find the same looking stuff on their web site. I'm building a 12x24 and will be using 2x4 with 2' on center. Your idea looks way easier than cutting it in between each stud.

UpNorth
# Posted: 9 Apr 2015 22:43 - Edited by: UpNorth

It's actually just foam board you use to wrap a house for siding. It's only 1/4" think but inexpensive. I didn't put it up for hard core insulation... but to just help hold heat a little better and cut down on draft. It worked. I can't image the R value was great honestly but it's working. My guess it's because of it being a small space. They come in 4' sections folded up like an accordion. I guess you could double it if you wanted it heavier?

UpNorth
# Posted: 9 Apr 2015 22:48

http://www.lowes.com/pd_304092-210-304092.0_4294858106__?productId=3122451&Ns=p_produ ct_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=

pizzadude
# Posted: 10 Apr 2015 01:23

You are the man!
Small, simple, cheap. I love it!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.