Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / rmak's reforestation project
rmak
# Posted: 4 Jun 2015 15:50 - Edited by: rmak

We built our cabin about midway back on our 9 acre property in what was a farm field. The last two acres or so are already deep wooded. After putting in our pond last year we decided to put in fast growing trees in order to block out what we could see of our neighbors' buildings and give us a sense of seclusion. So far this spring we planted 70+ trees including pin oak, red maples, river birch, poplar, white pine and Norwegian spruce. We placed the trees strategically, with the help of a friend who is a landscape designer, for the utmost blockage while maintaining a random/natural pattern. Our intention is to add more trees every fall and spring until we get the coverage we desire. Here is how our reforesting is going so far:
SubstandardFullSizeR.jpg
SubstandardFullSizeR.jpg

bldginsp
# Posted: 4 Jun 2015 16:02 - Edited by: bldginsp

My neighbor planted a "hedge" of Douglas fir trees along the road to provide privacy. Worked great while they were small, now that they are 10-15 feet tall and losing their lower branches you can see through. Don't know if that might happen in your situation but if it's possible you might consider starting some bush species as well to block the view when the trees grow up. Just a thought.

I think there is a tall bush variety of blueberry. Give you berries, too.

rmak
# Posted: 4 Jun 2015 18:44

Great idea, bldginsp! I have mature conifers that have done the same thing. We have deciduous trees interspersed to fill in the space above the pines with their leaves, but I never thought of the bottoms.

hattie
# Posted: 4 Jun 2015 20:27

That's going to look beautiful and I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how quickly it will all grow!!

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 5 Jun 2015 04:09

Lovely!!! Good job, rmak!

creeky
# Posted: 5 Jun 2015 08:00

looks really good.

along with shrubs you might want to plant some flowering trees.

the fellow who planted this property, Hugh Kirkus, planted a row of black locust, now 40 years old, that are in flower. the whole property smells amazing with the perfume from their flower clusters. and the hum of the bees is a treat.

rmak
# Posted: 5 Jun 2015 08:12

Another good idea! Thanks creeky. We did transplant some oriental dogwoods which flower, but don't smell. The landscape guy said he'd keep things primarily native to Ohio, but he also said it's our land so do what we want. I love the smell of lilacs and mock orange. Looks like some great plans for fall planting.

bldginsp
# Posted: 5 Jun 2015 10:01

You're fortunate that you are somewhere where you have a lot of choices. Here in the mountain yellow pine forest not many things will live other than the native species. I have many western dogwoods but they grow very slowly. Here's another idea- eastern dutchmans pipe. It's a vine that makes funny shaped flowers. It might grow all over the other plants and create a ground level thicket that would make a visual screen. Ask your landscaper if it is native.

ColdFlame
# Posted: 5 Jun 2015 10:15

Gorgeous property, rmak! Great suggestions RE: considering future years when the trees will be too tall. That was my first initial thought as well, but I'm late to this party.

Either way, the trees/property will be absolutely stunning (moreso that is) once these have started growing and becoming mature!

Steve_S
# Posted: 5 Jun 2015 11:47

Lookin good RMAK ! Now you have me thinking about some spots that could use Year Round screening. You can't see our place in summer but as fall arrives and only the evergreens remain there are what I would call "thin spots" which folks can see our cabin etc... The deer have trimmed many of the cedars with their mid-winter nibblings so I want to sort of plug those areas with evergreens that they won't want to munch on.

Our property is mixed bush with a wide assortments of evergreens, several varieties of apple trees as well to which I'd like to add a few of my own.

I love Lillacs and definitely want to put a few of them around but I'm not sure of the local wildlife will leave them alone...

Following this thread as I want to see what other folks are doing and hoping I'll get insights into what deer will NOT Eat and allow to grow... Maybe something with big nasty prickly spikes ?

NOTE: I have every critter that is native to the area and do not want to harm them... Wild Turkey's, Turkey Vultures too, Deer, Moose, Black & Brown bears, Rabbit, Fox and lately reports of cougar in the area. I just want my privacy from the 2 Legged Critters that are up to no good.

bldginsp
# Posted: 5 Jun 2015 12:05

Deer will not eat wood, tin cans, truck tires and empty shotgun casings. Everything else is up for grabs.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.