Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Rural Nova Scotia build
Glenn911
# Posted: 21 Oct 2015 17:15

We bought 6 acres just outside of New Ross, NS 2 years ago - on Lake Lewis. Wanted to absorb the lot before we started to build, so we put our trailer on it and started to clear. And clear. This summer we installed a septic system and this fall I started to build our smallish 20 X 14 cabin. First building will have a living area with kitchen. Next spring will start the sleeping quarters - which will be connected by a screened in porch.

I chose to build with rough lumber - wanting it stronger and more rugged. Didn't count on how heavy the front wall was going to be. Wow.

Putting roof sheathing on this weekend. Almost closed in.
Floor Build
Floor Build
Our view
Our view
Front
Front
Doors and Windows
Doors and Windows

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 21 Oct 2015 17:25

Looks great and that view is amazing! Look forward to seeing your progress.

ColdFlame
# Posted: 21 Oct 2015 17:42

What a beautiful view - the cabin is stunning also!

Shadyacres
# Posted: 21 Oct 2015 18:56

Stunning view and keep us updated on progress.

1300_stainless
# Posted: 22 Oct 2015 06:58

Hello from another "Bluenoser" (I'm located just outside of Bridgewater)! Your view is awesome and the cabin looks like it is coming along nicely!

bldginsp
# Posted: 22 Oct 2015 08:36

Very impressive build. I like the mist on the lake. Reminds me of canoeing on high altitude lakes at daybreak, watching the prow of the canoe split the mist as it glides on glassy water.

May I ask- is there concrete below the precast piers?

hattie
# Posted: 22 Oct 2015 17:47

Beautiful! I love all those little windows high up on the front wall! Can't wait to see more as you progress.

cabingal3
# Posted: 22 Oct 2015 19:37

wow...what a beautiful view.wonderful cabin.

Glenn911
# Posted: 23 Oct 2015 16:29

Thanks everyone! Scored a great pine kitchen that we'll be using in the cottage. Cedar shingles showed up today for our siding. Metal roof ordered and sheathing installed today.

The toughest thing about this is also the most rewarding. Building by myself. I have help from my wife but for 95 % of the time it's me. I'm exhausted, but hope once it's tight, I can slow down a bit. Still looking for a small air tight wood stove. I'm close to Bridgewater 1300_stainless take the 103 and then the 12 north. Will keep you posted.

neb
# Posted: 23 Oct 2015 20:32

Nice job on the build and outstanding view!

Glenn911
# Posted: 1 Nov 2015 17:33

Well got her closed in this weekend. Metal roof on and door installed. No surprises. Now I need to focus on heat retention and heat. Focusing on insulating the ceiling first.
Roofing detail
Roofing detail
Front quarter
Front quarter

manny
# Posted: 6 Dec 2015 10:41

well sir! Sure would be nice to know how your coming along.

OutdoorFanatic
# Posted: 6 Dec 2015 20:09

Very Nice! I can see myself in a kayak looking for a light to paddle to. Super cool place and a cabin that most people can only dream about.

Glenn911
# Posted: 7 Dec 2015 17:41

Update' insulated and starting to install kitchen cabinets. Wood stove is in and have started the cedar siding. Probably going to take a break for the winter.
Stove
Stove
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Glenn911
# Posted: 15 Dec 2015 19:44

Just a quick update. The weather has been mild, so I've been able to get some of the cedar shingles up outside. Will keep going until the weather stops me. We also to most of the kitchen cabinets in. Nice to be blue to be in a warm spec to work. Will keep pushing as long as the snow lets me.
Kitchen 1
Kitchen 1
Kitchen 2
Kitchen 2

Glenn911
# Posted: 15 Dec 2015 19:45 - Edited by: Glenn911

Hm it flipped this picture 180 degrees when I posted.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 15 Dec 2015 19:53

Your place looks great and your view is amazing! I love Nova Scotia...went to university at StFX many years ago! I love the kitchen pic with the chainsaw in the background....a kitchen with a chainsaw is definitely a man's kitchen. Haha

Glenn911
# Posted: 15 Dec 2015 21:31

Thanks Matt. I told my son the chainsaw was there in case I needed to pull a Griswold.

cbright
# Posted: 17 Dec 2015 14:56

Hi from another Nova Scotian.

Similar size to my build in Waverley just outside of Halifax.

Check it out here;

http://www.small-cabin.com/forum/6_3652_0.html

Glenn911
# Posted: 7 Feb 2016 13:07

Well I've been successful in being able to continue working at the cottage. Using a snowmobile and sleigh to get material into our site. Nice and warm after a couple hours of taking the chill off with the wood stove. Finished the ceiling yesterday and the interior walls with knotty pine t&g and barn board. Next up is the floor. Using reclaimed maple flooring. Hope to start it next week. Can't wait to really enjoy it when the big projects are done.
Wall shot
Wall shot
Front wall
Front wall
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Ceiling
Ceiling

neb
# Posted: 7 Feb 2016 13:50

Nice!

metoo
# Posted: 7 Feb 2016 19:19

Hey Glenn...couldn't help but notice the similarity in our new cabins. Yours looks great..
I am on an island in NB...keep the pics coming.
20150702_075025.jpg
20150702_075025.jpg

Glenn911
# Posted: 9 Feb 2016 21:19

Wow, that is very cool. Very similar. Do you have a loft? What island are you on? Awesome.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.