Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / My cabin - 12 x 20 with loft
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 .
p0rtia
# Posted: 3 Apr 2011 11:50

Hey MtnDon -- Thanks, that clarifies the situation. Take care!

paddyboy12432
# Posted: 4 Jun 2011 17:43

wow I love the design!

p0rtia
# Posted: 5 Jun 2011 07:45 - Edited by: p0rtia

Thanks, paddyboy. Here's a piccy of the cabin stained, with trim. Smal raised garden visible in the sun to the back left. Next up, gutters and rainwater collection system (otherwise known as a rain barrel plus ingenious accessories).
cabin_june_sm.jpg
cabin_june_sm.jpg

neb
# Posted: 5 Jun 2011 22:39

Very nice.

smitty
# Posted: 6 Jun 2011 03:48

I can tell a lot of love went into building that cabin.. Really like the loft roof. That's a neat design..

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 6 Jun 2011 07:12

real nice cabin---i like the design as well.

Gary O
# Posted: 6 Jun 2011 08:30

p0rtia
I've been following your build, and I must say, you have an artistic flair in designing that yields a warmth and reveals your love of simple style gone enchanting, and that's what a cabin is all about.
Thank you so much for the show.

Gary O'

p0rtia
# Posted: 6 Jun 2011 11:39

Thanks, guys. The way I put it to my wonderful building whenever we had a decision to make, was "I want it to be cute as a button." :-)

paddyboy12432
# Posted: 7 Jun 2011 20:44

I say with sincerity of heart....this is one of the nicest cabins Ive seen! In fact I just bought plans for a 16X24 very similar to yours but when I saw your flared roof I sat all morning redesigning my roof and loft to be like yours! lol. love the stain. Im in NY too. looking at property in Oneida county, between Amboy and Camden....but now Im giving Washington County a look LOL! how are the building codes up there? did you need a permit or exempt? Id love to visit your place sometime!

p0rtia
# Posted: 8 Jun 2011 09:41

Thanks, paddyboy. Washington County is a bit of a land that time forgot. Forty some years ago, when I first saw it, that meant is was an economically depressed area with small dairy farms occupying the many hills and valleys, which made for broad vistas of open land and quaint
buildings These days, it is still an economincally depressed area, but all the small farms are gone, and the hills and valleys are largely overgrown, while the few big dairy operations that are left have abandoned the pastures, built pit silos, and keep their cows in ugly barns. The family that rents my farm is doing their best to reverse this, so we have a little oasis of beauty and old-timey charm. Frankly, most of the pretty spots are kept by people out-of-towners. It's a common tale.

paddyboy12432
# Posted: 28 Jun 2011 18:59

you should be a writer....lol

trollbridge
# Posted: 10 Aug 2011 10:48

Quoting: p0rtia
I started moving in about five minutes after the fourth wall was complete.

Ha...this is funny and I can totally relate!
I bet you will always be glad you put in the shed dormer upstairs. We did the same thing and love the space it gives us,especially cause it really wasn't any harder to frame.

p0rtia
# Posted: 11 Aug 2011 19:00

Quoting: MtnDon
+ one ground rod, connected to the existing rod.

MtnDon, or anyone who knows: I'm continuing to upgrade my solar system, having found your diagram and explanation extremely useful. One question: Why two ground rods? Thanks!

canadian girl
# Posted: 25 Sep 2011 17:07

Love ,Love, Love, your design so much so we built our own :) We purchased our lot with an existing 12 x 20 cement pad so when I went looking for inspiration your post caught my eye and we ran with it:) Thank You so much for sharing .

trollbridge
# Posted: 25 Sep 2011 22:39

canadian girl---how is your place coming along? Any new updates? Hope you are enjoying it!

olfool
# Posted: 26 Sep 2011 05:36

I really like what both of you have built. Keep looking at them, and may go with the design myself. May go a little longer since it will be full time house.
Since you both have been in them awhile, any changes you would make? Thanks and keep the updates coming!

p0rtia
# Posted: 26 Sep 2011 08:30

Hi canadiangirl and all! Yes, I'd seen your sweet cabin and got a huge grin out of it. Printed off some pictures for my builder. So pleased to think others might like our design!

I've been finishing the inside this summer -- drywall for the kitchen and v-groove pine paneling for the parlor (as I call it!) and the loft. It is snug and beautiful. Shelves up in the kitchen (will paint next year). Finally found some used insulated stove pipe I could afford (wow), so the wood stove will be going in soon--or maybe next year, as I have to leave in mid November and won't really need it). I've been short on pix as I'm in the middle of so many things. But just loving it. And I've been here since May 15! The only thing I would change would be to make it a foot shorter, but that is just aesthetics (keeping a low profile). Usage-wise, I have no complaints.

canadian girl
# Posted: 27 Sep 2011 00:23

Quoting: olfool
Since you both have been in them awhile, any changes you would make?

The biggest changes we would make is building the loft just a few feet longer , putting a sky light in the "living room" to let more light in and maybe larger windows. However it was always our plan to have small windows and keep them higher up simply because we have a child with special needs . When we built we wanted something that would work for our family of 5 but also something that would still suit us when the nest is empty as I can very much see it being our retirement home.I think we will always be changing things there as we can afford it. Had we have not had an existing pad I think we would have likely built it 14 x 24 instead of 12 x 20 .However there is still lots of room in what we built which really surprised me after we got all the furniture in.

olfool
# Posted: 28 Sep 2011 15:36

Thanks for the replies. I keep drawing it out, and think I need about a 14 x 24 to do what I want. Really don't want to go much larger than that, unless I hit the lottery then I go big, like 14 x 30!!

canadian girl
# Posted: 27 May 2012 22:19

Portia just wondering if you have any new updates ? Show me more pictures lol Hope all is well and you are enjoying your cabin again. We have spent the last 2 weekends at ours and love it so much.

ErinsMom
# Posted: 28 May 2012 16:11

I agree with canadian girl; I would love a update including photos. Your's is one of my favorite builds.

olfool
# Posted: 28 May 2012 17:00

Would like to see any updates from Portia and canadian girl. I really enjoy both and am hoping to build something like them soon, well within next year or so.

Jared
# Posted: 11 Jun 2012 20:15

I've flipped through this thread, but didn't read every post. So, if my question is answered somewhere earlier in the post, I'm sorry. Do you have plans for this cabin? Even if they're just drawn on a piece of paper? I really like the cabin and would like to know how it's laid out.
Jared

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.