Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Newbie in Tennessee
alliumnate
# Posted: 2 Nov 2015 14:58

I've been reading and viewing this forum for a while now, but I'm finally getting ready to start building. I've got some acreage in the hills of middle Tennessee. I have an Amish built 12 x 16 shed that I've converted into a tiny cabin. I enjoyed fixing that up, and it's become our weekend getaway, but I'm wanting to build a 16 x 24 with a loft. My construction experience is pretty limited, so you can expect a number of questions as I start.

I just wanted to introduce myself and thank everyone for posting all this good info and inspiration on this board!

-Nate

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 2 Nov 2015 15:38

Welcome to the forum Nate. Now lets see some pics of this cabin.

alliumnate
# Posted: 2 Nov 2015 17:14

Thanks for the welcome!

I can try to post some photos of my tiny shed/cabin. I've only started staking out the site for the 16 x 24 cabin. It's gonna be up on posts (hopefully, I'll be digging the holes this week).

-Nate

Shadyacres
# Posted: 2 Nov 2015 17:47

Welcome to the forum !!

Rowjr
# Posted: 3 Nov 2015 10:11

That's how I got started sinking the post check out my cabin its 18' x 24' on 6 x 6 post and a loft

alliumnate
# Posted: 3 Nov 2015 10:45

Thanks for the welcome Shadyacres!

Rowjr - Your thread is one that I've been looking at recently due to how similar it is to what I want to do. It's looking great!

A question for you and others..... I was planning on spacing my 6x6 posts every 8 feet. I notice yours are every 6 feet. Are mine spaced too far apart for a 16 x 24 cabin? Any advice appreciated!

-Nate

alliumnate
# Posted: 3 Nov 2015 12:40

I am testing out how to post photos.... so here's a photo of our little shed/cabin. It's a 12 x 16 (maybe a little smaller... I haven't measured it properly). I've redone the interior.. put new flooring, paint, woodstove, futon, etc. I've also got it wired up and powered with a few 100 watt solar panels.
little shed/cabin

alliumnate
# Posted: 3 Nov 2015 12:44

and another (hopefully smaller picture) going further back into the property.
up the road

Rowjr
# Posted: 4 Nov 2015 12:28

Quoting: alliumnate
A question for you and others..... I was planning on spacing my 6x6 posts every 8 feet. I notice yours are every 6 feet. Are mine spaced too far apart for a 16 x 24 cabin? Any advice appreciated!-Nate

My decision on every 6 feet might have come up with the 18 and 24 as the reason since they kind of evenly space out and I used 2 x 6 on 16" centers for floor joist but I also used 2 x 8 for the outer frame and two girders supports evenly supporting under my 18' span. I'm no carpenter but its strong especially using those 6 x 6....

Mulehollowfolks
# Posted: 4 Nov 2015 19:33

Welcome alliumnate, we just finished our 16 x 32 cabin a few months ago and spend every weekend there. If you are interested in our style my husband can answer any question for you. Don't have finished product on computer all on cell phone, but can post a few when I get time.
DSCF2005.JPG
DSCF2005.JPG

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.