Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Ontario - Island Build 20x20
youngvedder
# Posted: 14 Dec 2015 15:05 - Edited by: youngvedder

Hi Everyone...

Long time lurker, first time posting...

Wife and I were given a piece of land on an island and decided to make a little cabin for our summers up north.

In the spring we were able to clear our little piece of land..

Once that Was done I was asked (Advised) that a shower was needed....built a nice outdoor shower out of cedar.

Next was the fire box for all the wood we cut down.
Land_cleared.JPG
Land_cleared.JPG
Backhoe.JPG
Backhoe.JPG
Shower_build.JPG
Shower_build.JPG
Finished_Shower.JPG
Finished_Shower.JPG

youngvedder
# Posted: 14 Dec 2015 15:14

With the long wait over for the contractors to be available, the construction began in early November...
With the winter failing to show up, the contractor was able to fully enclose our little cabin and get the roof on and tiled before the winter finally arrived. We were able to get some nice pieces of Pine 8x8 for the frame and a few key elements inside; which we are really excited about...The layout will be a bedroom/living room/dry kitchen on main level, and a loft up above (With Dormer).
We have started to amass solar equipment (Shower currently runs off) and will have the entire building running in the near future.

so excited, just had to share!

Yv
Construction_Start.J.jpg
Construction_Start.J.jpg
Enclosed.JPG
Enclosed.JPG
Inside__East.JPG
Inside__East.JPG
Westrear.JPG
Westrear.JPG

FishHog
# Posted: 14 Dec 2015 15:57

very nice. What area are you located in?

Just
# Posted: 14 Dec 2015 16:04

Very nice, now you can be both clean and dry welcome aboard . just, another Ontarian

youngvedder
# Posted: 14 Dec 2015 16:18

Thank you!

located north of huntsville.

yv

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 14 Dec 2015 17:01

Welcome from Haliburton!

Used to have land in Sprucedale. Great looking cabin you have there. Hope to see more updates.

Ontario lakeside
# Posted: 14 Dec 2015 20:40

Hello from the Kawarthas!

Love the shower

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 15 Dec 2015 05:55

Your place looks fantastic! Welcome from another Ontarian. Land of Lakes area!

FishHog
# Posted: 15 Dec 2015 07:42

Up until last year I been on a small lake just outside of Sprucedale for 45 years. Made the move to Sudbury area for more privacy but love that area.

youngvedder
# Posted: 15 Dec 2015 11:02

where about in Sud? ive been around LAcloche for about 40 yrs...beautiful.

FishHog
# Posted: 15 Dec 2015 13:16

LAcloche area is beautiful, almost bought a small place in there, but it was just a little too hard to get to. I'm a bit south of Sudbury, by Estaire. Small lake, but I'm the only one on it and love the solitude.

cabinfloat
# Posted: 17 Dec 2015 17:12

I was so wanting to build a seasonal small cabin on my lot north of Dorset. When I bought in '99 it was a possibility. I moved away, and now I'm back in ON and they changed things on me! No "seasonal cabins" allowed, has to be a "house" basically with full insulation, etc etc. and now up 100ft from the water instead of 66. ARRRRG. So I'm thinking I'm just gonna build a 16x16 ft cabin (houseboat) on a HDPE set of pontoons which will remain in water year round.
Glad your project is going well... yeah, what happened to a Canadian winter... not that I'm complaining

FishHog
# Posted: 18 Dec 2015 08:14

Cabinfloat, my dad build a houseboat in 1976 and that was my family cottage until about 2005. Its still floating and being used by the landowner that let us park it on his shoreline. When I bought a property on the lake, we passed it on. Great way to live, I highly recommend it. He registered it as a boat with the CG, had numbers and a washroom and was completely legal at least at the time.
RON_A__ON_HOUSEBOAT_.jpg
RON_A__ON_HOUSEBOAT_.jpg

youngvedder
# Posted: 21 Dec 2015 11:03

Cabinfloat - we actually had the same issue. Island was bough in '13 and we were told we were allowed a much larger structure...by '15 we were limited to 420sqf....frustrating, but we'll make the most of it!

SteveF
# Posted: 27 Dec 2015 12:57

Nice spot!

youngvedder
# Posted: 13 Jan 2016 10:53

thanks..

question: Looking to get a generator/inverter..looking to:

charge batteries, run lights, power tools...(not at the same time).

do i need a Honda eu3000 or would a eu2000 give me what I need?

Thanks!

Steve_S
# Posted: 13 Jan 2016 12:53

I've got a 3kw Inverter Generator from King Canada (Designed & Engineered in Montreal but built on contract in China) as well as my big Champion 7200/9000 standard Generator.

I've had very good luck with the little King and even had it power my Tablesaw, sliding mitre saw, run lights and charge batteries. Starts in the cold without a blink (easier with the remote start actually) and the electronic choke works peachy.

I went 3Kw Inverter because it's also the backup for my solar system which has a 3kw Inverter/Charger combo that can autostart the genny.

I have found the little guy sufficient to do everything I need it to do and then some BUT I keep "general use" to a minimum as it is intended mostly for a primary backup power source. I use my big genny for compressor, mig welder and other heavy general uses.

If your building your solar system, consider how big that will be and size your genny accordingly so that it can power you when your batteries are low and in need of charge. Hopefully you've gotten a combo Inverter/Charger which simplifies life later.

Consider Honda as "Rolls Royce" in Genny World where I'm just a Chevette budgeted guy so a simply chevy with AM Radio & manual windows does for me. The King 3kw cost me $999.00 and can be bought at any BMR, Castle Building Supply and many other places.

Jebediah
# Posted: 13 Jan 2016 14:47 - Edited by: Jebediah

Quoting: youngvedder
where about in Sud? ive been around LAcloche for about 40 yrs...beautiful.

I was born in Sudbury, lived in Val Caron, at 17 I joined the military. We had camps close to Laforest area, Burwash, Barnett and Macnamara lakes. 64km as the crow flies up an old pole line. Miss that place. My brother lived in Espanola and Massey. I'm related to just about everyone in and around Sudbury lol....I'm retired in Nova Scotia.

back on topic....nice place!

youngvedder
# Posted: 14 Jan 2016 10:43

Thanks Steve!

Thanke JEb - cant wait to get back up there...

next steps for this build - wiring/floor insulation/floors, insulation, generator, solar expansion...gonna be a fun spring!

cheers,

Yv

cabinfloat
# Posted: 9 Mar 2016 23:34

Quoting: FishHog
Cabinfloat, my dad build a houseboat in 1976 and that was my family cottage until about 2005. Its still floating and being used by the landowner that let us park it on his shoreline. When I bought a property on the lake, we passed it on. Great way to live, I highly recommend it. He registered it as a boat with the CG, had numbers and a washroom and was completely legal at least at the time.

Wow FishHog, youre the first person Ive come across in my internet exploration with experience related to building and using such a cabin. I'd love to hear as much as you wish to tell. my main concerns are tossing in rough storms. what was your experience? was it tied down fairly tight so as not to bob too much? Ive considered having posts/legs with footings around the sides which extend down to the bottom and jacking the whole thing up a few inches to suspend it a little and thus stabize it. Looks like your dads floats were strapped together insulation boards, how did the freeze affect them, or were you in the south somewhere? How big was it? I'm thinking 16x16 with extended decking for sun exposure. Thanks for the reply, I dont get on computer too much.
Cabinfloat

cabinfloat
# Posted: 9 Mar 2016 23:40

Quoting: youngvedder
Cabinfloat - we actually had the same issue. Island was bough in '13 and we were told we were allowed a much larger structure...by '15 we were limited to 420sqf....frustrating, but we'll make the most of it

Yes, theyve pretty much regulated my dreams out of the realm of possibilities. I dont have money or inclination to build a minimum 800sf house. The only feasible location is way up where the rocks level off 240 ft away from the shore and a big climb up from the lake. I could do it, but might just bypass the land codes and go with a floating cabin. Just that my wife isn't too keen on sleeping over the water.

FishHog
# Posted: 10 Mar 2016 08:21

We were on a small inland lake around Huntsville, Ontario. You would get a little movement in a major storm, but it minor due to the width of the raft. I actually quite like a slight rocking motion when in bed. Probably because I grew up with that. That picture is the second raft. Original was built in 1976, rebuild was around 1995, and is still floating just fine. Freezes in hard every winter, but there is no current, so no damage at break up. It was anchored 4 corners (2 very heavy concrete anchors, 2 to trees). We would tighten them up once a year, but never worried about a little slack, to leave room for water level changes. If my memory is right, 16'x24' total deck, building was 12'x14'. But that was a long time ago, so I'm not sure. Dad built it all prefab at home and we took it up in sections on a small trailer. Spent a lot of great years there, and still keep in touch with the guy who has it now.

youngvedder
# Posted: 15 Nov 2016 13:46

been a while, but thought I'd give an update after a busy summer....With the cabin enclosed last year (excluding the floor)..I was able to get over to the island as soon as the ice broke. plan was 1) subfloor>insulation>floor 2) walls up for my little guys room 3) pine flooring (from original 20's cabin on the property) 4) siding 5) wiring and insulation if I am lucky...

was able to get 1-4 done and were able to move in June 2nd...we had a great summer, and cant wait to get back up in the spring for tasks 5-1,000!

We are also looking for a little fire place - any feedback on the Jotul f602?

cheers.

Yv
walls.JPG
walls.JPG
living.JPG
living.JPG
exterior_done.jpg
exterior_done.jpg
fire_lake.JPG
fire_lake.JPG

youngvedder
# Posted: 15 Nov 2016 13:55

a few more pics
ladder.JPG
ladder.JPG
living2.JPG
living2.JPG
Railing.JPG
Railing.JPG
Railing_2.JPG
Railing_2.JPG

CottageLady
# Posted: 3 Feb 2018 19:55

The cottage looks terrific. We have a cottage on an island near Gananoque. Eventually I would like to put a loft in. Yours looks great.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.