Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / My new garage... I'm happy with it.
RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 10 Mar 2016 06:14

Just got my garage finished at my cabin property.

I know people share their builds as they go along, but I'm doing it all at once.

I learned a few things along the way:
* plan for water, electric and a drain in advance.
* although I contracted this out, I had to be there to wait all day for the county inspectors.
* big trucks carrying big joists make big ruts in my road. Talk to the contractor about who's responsible for road damage.
* building elevations are sometimes different in the end. Plan for water drainage (French drain), and a ramp with gravel to get into the garage.

Over all, I'm happy with this little pole barn. 20x32, with a walk in loft.

Rich
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Shadyacres
# Posted: 10 Mar 2016 06:33

Looks like you have attic roof trusses. Would you know how much they added to the price over conventional trusses ? I also need to build a barn/workshop/garage building but did not price anything yet. I also would like to stay around the size you have. I was thinking 24 X 32 or 40. I also need to decide over footer style stick build or pole barn type. Thanks for the pictures and information.

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 10 Mar 2016 07:15

Yes, attic roof trusses. There are stairs in the back of the building to the loft. Unfortunately, I don't recall how much more that was... my wife and I decided we wanted that early in the process, so the contractor didn't quote us without it

Next part of the project is to paint the garage floor (now that the concrete has cured)... and then get top soil around the outside perimeter so grass can grow.

Don_P
# Posted: 10 Mar 2016 08:01 - Edited by: Don_P

Looks good. I do like attic trusses. If they spring from the overhang it can make a little more useable width upstairs.

Off on a tangent;
On road damage, its better if its your bill. I can build or repair a good road but one way or the other it is a pass through to you. It can be one stop shopping with the road repaired in the end but the contractor has to cover himself. I can bring in another contractor to bid on the drive and include it in my scope. I'm curious... is this the bid you want and is it then competitive, you'll no doubt be entertaining a non repairing bid.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 10 Mar 2016 08:01

Wow, what a nice garage! May you and your gear/toys enjoy many happy times in it!

neb
# Posted: 10 Mar 2016 19:29

You should enjoy that garage. Looks really nice.

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 11 Mar 2016 07:20

Quoting: neb
You should enjoy that garage. Looks really nice.

Thanks Neb.

One more "lesson learned"... I may have made a mistake by not getting gutters on it. I do plan to put gravel along the perimeter and directly under the overhangs.

But as I said... so far very happy with the project outcome.

Enjoy your weekend!!!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.