Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / 12X18 With loft - Northern Canada
tasteoftaiga
# Posted: 4 Apr 2016 16:11

We have been going hard this spring on the cabin and are close to shelled in. Total footprint 12x18, all 2x6 construction, entire structure is sitting on 2x10 triple ply beams on blocking (on bedrock).
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

hattie
# Posted: 4 Apr 2016 17:27

That looks like it is going to be really nice. Can't wait to see more photos as your project progresses.

Wendigolake
# Posted: 4 Apr 2016 21:18

Where are you building it? Looks good and there doesn't seem to be a lot of snow right there.

tasteoftaiga
# Posted: 4 Apr 2016 23:49

We're located outside Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, about 30km from the city.

We don't get that much snow up here, enough for some decent snowmobiling but no crazy dumps, which is great for the snow load but a bit more would be nice.

tasteoftaiga
# Posted: 19 Apr 2016 17:09

Update: front wall framed in, loft walls stood, couple of penertrations cut and working towards getting fully sheeted/closed in.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

rockies
# Posted: 19 Apr 2016 19:35

Is that a window wall with two sets of windows in the last picture? You don't seem to have a header between the upper and lower windows. Is that wall going to be strong enough to support the weight of the roof and resist wind loads?

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 19 Apr 2016 20:38

Looks great!!! What an exciting time! Color me envious!

tasteoftaiga
# Posted: 19 Apr 2016 20:54

I've got a triple 2x6 header running the full width of the window wall above the penetrations that is supported by jack studs on either end and a triple stud in the centre between the windows. Should be plenty strong for load transfer to keep the windows from popping.

Consulted the carpenter buddies on that one, only cost me a couple beers.

tasteoftaiga
# Posted: 25 Apr 2016 17:36

Last weekend on the ice with the trucks, got er' fully enclosed. Still 7 windows to install but it's closed up to weather so I'll rest easier until the lakes melt and I can get out in the boat to paint it.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
View from the loft.
View from the loft.

abby
# Posted: 29 Apr 2016 09:24

look GREAT! can't wait to see more.

Rowjr
# Posted: 29 Apr 2016 12:35

looking good

tasteoftaiga
# Posted: 23 Jan 2017 13:52 - Edited by: tasteoftaiga

Picture updates in no particular order: summer time on the lake, great northern sunsets, roofing prep and chimney install, first winter check-up, and beginning of insulation. Current goal is to have it insulated, vapour barrier, floors down, kitchen in place, and usable by March/April.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

tasteoftaiga
# Posted: 23 Jan 2017 13:55 - Edited by: tasteoftaiga

More shots.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

tasteoftaiga
# Posted: 23 Jan 2017 13:58

Winter.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

tasteoftaiga
# Posted: 23 Jan 2017 13:59

Last boat ride of summer 2016.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

daniel_hawkins
# Posted: 24 Jan 2017 10:09

Wow, That looks good! Interesting design there, is it living area with kitchen downstairs, and one bed up in the loft?

tasteoftaiga
# Posted: 24 Jan 2017 11:49

Yes, the design came together as we were building, some changes were necessary due to timelines and lumber availability. This is what we are dealing with basically:

- Kitchen under loft, looking back on the woods
- Open living room in front half, with 12' ceilings and the large window wall facing lake
- Loft with 7' walls in back

Eventually I will add a walkout from the loft onto the front portion of roof where we will have a small (10' x 10' ish) rooftop deck. This is for two reasons, the view, and strategically getting up into the wind when the mosquitoes are terrible in the summer.

Over the longer term I will probably do an addition for a bunk room, but right now the family is small so we don't need the space just yet.

tasteoftaiga
# Posted: 8 Feb 2017 13:44 - Edited by: tasteoftaiga

Update:

Was out a few weekends ago and got most of my insulation in place. Ran out of poly so work on the vapour barrier had to be set aside. Sitting at home a few nights ago I remembered that I forgot to run wire for exterior lights, so the vapour barrier was a blessing in disguise as they say.

Hoping next trip out will be this Saturday at which point I'll put some concrete board behind the stove so I don't burn the place down and finish the vapour barrier. Once this job is done I'm looking forward to putting in the rest of the windows (7 in total to go in) and laying the floor downstairs and installing the kitchen cabinets that have been on a pallet covered in tarp in my yard for the past year!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

tasteoftaiga
# Posted: 8 Feb 2017 13:47 - Edited by: tasteoftaiga

More photos, because they keep uploading sideways and upside down. Anyone know how to fix that?
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Steve_S
# Posted: 8 Feb 2017 17:47

Looking Good and Getting there....

I would suggest you try & find some Magnesium Oxide board instead of the cement board. It is 1/2 the price, 100% neutral / non-toxic, water proof and even suitable for tile backer etc... You do need a saw to cut it, no simple scoring & snapping. It does weigh a bit more and can be attached with 2" drywall screws. I did mine at 12". The stuff never even get's warm compared to everything else around it.

http://magobp.ca/benefits/
Got mine from BMR for $45, 4'x8'x1/2" sheet.

IU was hesitant at first as it was a new product to me but after talking to a few other's (builder's) and my friend the Fire Chief, I thought I would try it and sure am happy I did.

NOTE: It's dusty when cut with a circ saw, don't breath the dust. I did a quick 1/4" score with the circ and snapped it and trimmed off with the Olfa HF knife.

PS: Last two photo's are oriented properly from what I see. I'm using MS Edge as my browser, if that makes any diff... shouldn't.

ColdFlame
# Posted: 8 Feb 2017 19:52

Cool product @Steve_S. I'm going to check that out for myself - thanks for the heads up.

@tasteoftaiga - The photos are all oriented properly. Using Chrome here myself. Often if they are flipping themselves, it's due to the images being too large.

tasteoftaiga
# Posted: 9 Feb 2017 16:20

Interesting product there, however for the most part my choice in material is limited to what I can get at the local lumber yards, which is pretty basic.

Crazy expensive too.

We're paying $65 a sheet for 4x8 concrete board. A 3/8 sheet of OSB is $18. Wild.

tasteoftaiga
# Posted: 26 Mar 2017 16:24

Photo updates, insulation/vapour/air sealing 95% complete. Great milestone but I'm just happy to be punching in Windows. They look awesome.
IMG_3198.JPG
IMG_3198.JPG
IMG_3194.JPG
IMG_3194.JPG
IMG_3188.JPG
IMG_3188.JPG

tasteoftaiga
# Posted: 10 Apr 2017 21:40

Photo updates
IMG_3299.JPG
IMG_3299.JPG
IMG_3285.JPG
IMG_3285.JPG
IMG_3232.JPG
IMG_3232.JPG

tasteoftaiga
# Posted: 10 Apr 2017 21:44 - Edited by: tasteoftaiga

A couple more
IMG_3243.JPG
IMG_3243.JPG
IMG_3228.JPG
IMG_3228.JPG
IMG_3231.JPG
IMG_3231.JPG

tasteoftaiga
# Posted: 8 May 2018 13:08

Some updates from this season:

- Interior plywood almost complete
- Electrical in, just need to add fixtures
- Torch on roof complete.
IMG_1795.JPG
IMG_1795.JPG
IMG_1793.JPG
IMG_1793.JPG
IMG_1873.JPG
IMG_1873.JPG
IMG_1904.JPG
IMG_1904.JPG

tasteoftaiga
# Posted: 8 May 2018 13:10

- Deck built
- Morning coffee on the roof
- Interior detail of roof, loft
IMG_1920.JPG
IMG_1920.JPG
IMG_1919.JPG
IMG_1919.JPG
IMG_1861.JPG
IMG_1861.JPG
IMG_1875.JPG
IMG_1875.JPG

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.