Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Bee hive projects... Electric fence
RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 10 Apr 2016 08:47

We started out with a project to become beekeepers. That lead to not only building a bee hive stand (what you see in the photos), but also an electric fence to keep the Bears out.

Then we thought, might as well make it big enough to enclose a garden and fruit trees.

Anyhow... Garden is now planted. We'll set up the new hives in 2 weeks, and get the 2 colonies in early May.

(I'm not sure why this site turns some photos 90 degrees when uploading them.)
Garden
Garden
Hive stand2
Hive stand2
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

abby
# Posted: 10 Apr 2016 15:16

awesome!

bldginsp
# Posted: 10 Apr 2016 16:20 - Edited by: bldginsp

Nice garden, nice soil.

My iPhone 6 turns photos sideways sometimes too. It's because the phone is made to take photos only in one position, horizontal with the back button on the right. Turn the phone and it doesn't make the change.

I was able to solve it with my pics by going into edit on the rotated picture, and flip it around a few times. And end up with it correctly upright. That resolved the software so it now thinks down is down

Smawgunner
# Posted: 10 Apr 2016 19:52

With bears having such thick fur, would that deter them?

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 10 Apr 2016 23:04

They will touch it with their nose first. They learn pretty quickly, I've heard

Stein
# Posted: 11 Apr 2016 10:58

I've had my two gardens electric fenced with four rows of poly electric twine for several years to keep the deer out. It has worked great.

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 11 Apr 2016 11:43

Stein, I had heard that to keep deer out you needed a double fence (one inside the other)...

Did you find that the deer just jump over your fence? How tall was yours?

Mine is only 5 feet tall... considering a double fence, but want to get the perspective of others.

Thanks

Stein
# Posted: 11 Apr 2016 15:37 - Edited by: Stein

I just have four strands a foot apart, top strand about 5 foot high. I do not have the double row like the link above but I do like that design. I have a lot of deer and used to have a lot of trouble with them. They have never crashed the fence or jumped it since I put it in a couple years ago. One thing that may help me here is we are in the country surrounded by farm fields of beans and corn so maybe once gardening season is here there are easier pickings elsewhere. Like the link above with a field right in the middle of deer habitat. That would be tougher so I suspect the two fence would be warranted.

I also like the flat tape idea but I have never used it mainly due to cost. I have the poly twine with fine wires. Not wide but a fairly high visibility yellow.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.